Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Politics and the Jaguars

A lot of voters are one-issue voters.   Some people care most about abortion, some people care most about the environment, and so forth.   In recent years, when it comes to local elections, and local politicians, I ask myself, "How does this issue or this candidate affect the Jaguars?" 

For example, deepening the river channel so we can get bigger ships into the port.  I am thinking, if we deepen the channel, and get the bigger ships, that's good for local jobs and the economy, therefore more people will buy season tickets, and that's good for the success of the team.  So I am for deepening the channel because it indirectly benefits the Jaguars.  

Recently there was a candidate for city council in my district, and I emailed her a question to probe her attitude towards the Jaguars.  Something like, what will you do to keep the Jaguars in Jacksonville.    And I got back a mealy-mouthed answer that showed that either she didn't care or she just wasn't prepared for the question.   So I didn't vote for her, even though she was a really good, experienced candidate whose views otherwise were very similar to mine. 

So I'm becoming one of those one-issue voters I used to look down on.  

Anyone else find themselves thinking this way?  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sounds like a terrible way to choose who you vote for. In your case, sounded like the candidate you emailed was the candidate you should've voted for. To not vote for that person because of a football team seems a bit ridiculous.

Quote:Sounds like a terrible way to choose who you vote for. In your case, sounded like the candidate you emailed was the candidate you should've voted for. To not vote for that person because of a football team seems a bit ridiculous.

If you don't really care about anything else why wouldn't you vote in the best interest of the team?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:If you don't really care about anything else why wouldn't you vote in the best interest of the team?

I'm going to agree.  A lot of people vote and are extremely uninformed.  If someone looks into something or thinks about something as to how it affects the Jaguars, at least they are thinking.

In reality, what he's doing is whats best for the city anyway.  If the Jaguars prosper, its a good barometer of where the city is.

More than one issue would be nice, but you're one issue ahead of a vast majority of voters.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

If a community leader doesn't realize the importance of the NFL remaining in Jax, then yes, that's a huge red flag.

Politicians are in it for votes. To them, votes are equivalent to cash. The more cash you have the better you live. Ask yourself a question: "Why would a candidate spend $3 million dollars of their own money to get a $85,000 a year job?" That ought to tell you either the candidate is financially stupid, in which case I wouldn't want him/her running our government, or he/she intends to get it all back in other ways. Which then supports the idea of backroom handshake deals.

Neither is comforting to Citizen Joe.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

If you're wondering why this thread was moved, see the description of this forum.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Politicians are in it for votes. To them, votes are equivalent to cash. The more cash you have the better you live. Ask yourself a question: "Why would a candidate spend $3 million dollars of their own money to get a $85,000 a year job?" That ought to tell you either the candidate is financially stupid, in which case I wouldn't want him/her running our government, or he/she intends to get it all back in other ways. Which then supports the idea of backroom handshake deals.

Neither is comforting to Citizen Joe.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

Or, they have an ego the size of Mt. Rushmore and want to be a part of history.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:A lot of voters are one-issue voters.   Some people care most about abortion, some people care most about the environment, and so forth.   In recent years, when it comes to local elections, and local politicians, I ask myself, "How does this issue or this candidate affect the Jaguars?" 

Just my opinion, but the "one-issue" voters are part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

When it comes to local elections, I first look at how a particular candidate is going to affect me.  Does the candidate care about the local economy in general and if so in what way?  It's not just about the Jaguars, but what about relations with the military?  What about commerce?  What ideas does the candidate have to bring more business to Jacksonville?  What is the candidate's position on taxes including property tax, sales tax, etc.?  What about managing the city/county budget?  What about infrastructure?

The next issue is how the candidate proposes to handle critical services such as police and fire.  What does the candidate propose to do regarding the crime rate?  What about the homeless problem?

Next is the issue of education.  What real ideas does the candidate have to improve the quality of k-12 education in the city?  Does it involve simply "throwing more money" at the problem, or does the candidate have real solutions?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.