Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bitcoin

Made my first purchase with it recently. It's a neat concept.

The only issue I have is the whole thing just feels illegal and sketchy. It's a pain to even get bitcoins to buy stuff with in the first place. Though the security of not using your CC or bank account is great.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't use it.  I don't think that it really has any real value.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016, 03:50 PM by Minorcan.)

*googles bitcoin*  :mellow:  Blush

Edit: Sounds like paypal

EDIT UPDATED: Never mind. Sounds just weird.

lol

Have you seen my baseball?

Don't buy into the hype. That Alex Jones guy on Infowars.com is hyping it up too as far as value, etc. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:*googles bitcoin* :mellow: Blush

Thank you for doing the leg work for the rest of us!!

Edit to add...I just read the wiki page about it. My head hurts now.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I actually thought the whole bitcoin thing had died off.  It's too easy to hack computers nowdays.

Quote:*googles bitcoin*  :mellow:  Blush

EDIT UPDATED: Never mind. Sounds just weird.

Not really.  It's kind of a "geek thing".  It's pretty much "virtual currency" though the value doesn't really relate to anything tangible.

All it takes to "produce" bitcoins is a computer, preferably one with a really good graphics card.  In a nutshell, a bitcoin is "produced" by a computer solving complex mathematical equations.

One small fact:  Much of the malware/viruses that infect primarily Window$ computers are used to "mine" bitcoins.  A simple description of how it works...  the malware detects if the computer is idle (no one actively typing or using the mouse).  It then starts trying to solve mathematical problems in order to "produce" bitcoins.  Any bitcoins produced get sent to the writer of the malware.  If the user moves the mouse on their computer or presses a key on their keyboard, the malware stops running and waits until the computer is idle again.

So to sum it up, bitcoins are pretty much worthless and are produced mainly from malware.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I actually thought the whole bitcoin thing had died off.  It's too easy to hack computers nowdays.

Very much so...  especially Window$ computers.

Quote:Not really.  It's kind of a "geek thing".  It's pretty much "virtual currency" though the value doesn't really relate to anything tangible.

All it takes to "produce" bitcoins is a computer, preferably one with a really good graphics card.  In a nutshell, a bitcoin is "produced" by a computer solving complex mathematical equations.

One small fact:  Much of the malware/viruses that infect primarily Window$ computers are used to "mine" bitcoins.  A simple description of how it works...  the malware detects if the computer is idle (no one actively typing or using the mouse).  It then starts trying to solve mathematical problems in order to "produce" bitcoins.  Any bitcoins produced get sent to the writer of the malware.  If the user moves the mouse on their computer or presses a key on their keyboard, the malware stops running and waits until the computer is idle again.

So to sum it up, bitcoins are pretty much worthless and are produced mainly from malware.
So I was right, it's just weird. haha. I don't get any of that to tell you the truth, but I appreciate your knowledge and for trying to explain it to me none the less. 

And if somebody hacks your computer and steals your bitcoins...they are forever gone.

......what are you buying? Trinkets and things? Computer programs and stuff? 

Quote:And if somebody hacks your computer and steals your bitcoins...they are forever gone.
But what if I don't care if I have them? (or even knew). 

This sounds so weird. I feel dum down like those other two guys.

FYI: I'm not 80

lol...you don't have them if you're not mining for them.

In theory, you could purchase pretty much anything with bitcoins...so long as the seller accepts bitcoins.

So basically it's virtual Monopoly money.

Quote:......what are you buying? Trinkets and things? Computer programs and stuff?

Not sure about the rest of the country, but in Ca you can use it for Starbucks or whatever, lots of places accept it. Well maybe not so much in Fresno - but everywhere else haha.

Quote:Not sure about the rest of the country, but in Ca you can use it for Starbucks or whatever, lots of places accept it. Well maybe not so much in Fresno - but everywhere else haha.

And anyone wonders why California is broke.

Quote:So I was right, it's just weird. haha. I don't get any of that to tell you the truth, but I appreciate your knowledge and for trying to explain it to me none the less. 

LOL.  Just keep in mind.

Bitcoins are worthless.

Bitcoins are "produced" by a computer.

Quote:So basically it's virtual Monopoly money.

You have the right idea.