Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
US Army Basic Training

Anyone with recent experience want to shed light on what to expect there? Actually, just any information that you think might be useful to me or someone else.

I recently enlisted and I'll be heading to Fort Leonard Wood in October. I have some family in the Army, so I know it's the mental aspects like memorization that cause some people to have a hard time rather than the physical aspect (Unless you have weight problems)

And... If you're curious, my MOS is 12R (Interior Electrician).

Any input about experiences in the Army, good or bad, is encouraged.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just wanted to thank you for your service my friend, keep your head down and praying for your safety.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Anyone with recent experience want to shed light on what to expect there? Actually, just any information that you think might be useful to me or someone else.

I recently enlisted and I'll be heading to Fort Leonard Wood in October. I have some family in the Army, so I know it's the mental aspects like memorization that cause some people to have a hard time rather than the physical aspect (Unless you have weight problems)

And... If you're curious, my MOS is 12R (Interior Electrician).

Any input about experiences in the Army, good or bad, is encouraged.

Congratulations on your enlistment!  I haven't been to boot camp in way more years then I'd care to mention, but I had a nephew who went through it about 4 years ago.  For him, he said the physical side of it was easy (keep in mind, he was running cross country in H.S. and considers a 20 mile training run 'moderate').  With that said, it sounds like the mental aspects and communication have changed a lot (i.e. there is a lot more emphasis placed on "sensitivity" so the cursing, slapping, and slurs have been eliminated).  But they still challenge you mentally in other ways. 

For example, in addition to practical training, many of the tasks you're asked to perform in boot are there to see how you perform under stress as well as how close attention you pay to detail.  Keep that in mind when they're ripping you a new one for folding your underwear wrong.  LOL

Sounds like the food still sucks, you won't get enough sleep, and there will be plenty of  people yelling at you. Smile  Listen to your DI, they actually are there to help you. 

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 08:57 AM by HeadSlap.)

Ahhhhhhhhhh.  Fort Lost in the Woods of Misery.

Welcome to Pulaski County Missouri and the Megagopolis of Waynesville and St. Robert.

You are in the middle of the Ozarks and it is really a beautiful spot when you have a second to enjoy the view.

You won't have many outside local distraction's.

Stay Level, even under pressure, look after your Squad Members, they will look after you, help the weaker as

you are only as strong as a team. They will return the favor.

Comply with procedures, plan ahead and work your plan.

Practise the same safety you use working with electricity,

Think ahead to stay ahead. Rise above.

Your experience in the ARMY is what You make of it.

Your posting's here on this forum show you think, that's important.

Show initiative and accept humbly any rebuke from your D.I., they are there to keep you alive.

Don't make the same mistake twice and ask advice.

When your Instructors start asking what you think when you ask for advice, think it out and know your are rising above.

Good Luck

Keep your head down, your powder dry and your buddies back.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Thanks for the input guys, I try to over-prepare for anything I do, so this helps a lot.

Quote:Just wanted to thank you for your service my friend, keep your head down and praying for your safety.

Thanks! That means a lot.

my son is army, 101st airborne 3rd armor (purple heart ) (he's okay)

welcome to the family

My brother is a captain stationed at fort Irwin. He went through basic about 7 years ago. He said it was a breeze. He's not a PT stud but he is somewhat athletic. Apparently if you go in there knowing they are going to tear you down and build you up your golden. It's a kinder gentler military these days.

Thank you for your service.

I hear that boot camp is a walk in the park. Enjoy!

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Thank you for your service.

I hear that boot camp is a walk in the park. Enjoy!

As a matter of fact, I hear the Drill Instructors enjoy humorous sarcastic banter with the recruits.  

Quote:As a matter of fact, I hear the Drill Instructors enjoy humorous sarcastic banter with the recruits.  

that reminds of those bad advice commercials  Laughing

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:As a matter of fact, I hear the Drill Instructors enjoy humorous sarcastic banter with the recruits.  

You get bonus points for grinning and winking at them suggestively.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:You get bonus points for grinning and winking at them suggestively.

A sharp butt slap guarantees choice of duty station.

FLW sucks.. especially the time of year you will be there i was there october-march.  Being from florida it will be your first winter but enjoy. the best advice i can give is embrace the suck.

shoulda went 12 B its more fun screwing with bombs n stuff! engineers lead the way

Quote:FLW sucks.. especially the time of year you will be there i was there october-march. Being from florida it will be your first winter but enjoy. the best advice i can give is embrace the suck.

shoulda went 12 B its more fun screwing with bombs n stuff! engineers lead the way

Oorah!
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:FLW sucks.. especially the time of year you will be there i was there october-march.  Being from florida it will be your first winter but enjoy. the best advice i can give is embrace the suck.

I feel like I'll be okay in the winter. I lived in Alaska for 9 years, and I've always had the idea that "I'll burn faster than I'll freeze" when it comes to cold places.

Don't do it! Don't be a pawn for special interests

I graduated from basic a little over 2 years ago. It was a cake walk and I've heard it's easier now. You'll do fine.

Quote:Don't do it! Don't be a pawn for special interests
No, I want to be a baby killer, it's all I ever dreamed of being!

Quote:No, I want to be a baby killer, it's all I ever dreamed of being!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NzFJxX8yoY

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NzFJxX8yoY

Arlo! Haven't seen that in years. Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.