Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Best running backs in the league

A recent discussion about current backs who will have a place in the HOF got me thinking, who represent the top 5 or 10 backs in the game right now?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Adrian Peterson is the best pure rusher of the early part of this century.   Yet,  much like with Barry Sanders being the best pure rusher of the latter part of the previous century,  both didn't standout as receivers and blitz protectors.

In terms of pure rushing,  my answer would clearly be Adrian Peterson.

In terms of a complete RB,  my answer would be LeSean McCoy.   

I'm going to give the rest of the top 5 some additional thought.    These days with RB rotations being much more of the norm instead of the exception,   it's more difficult to differentiate the RB's than used to be the case.  

Quote:Adrian Peterson is the best pure rusher of the early part of this century.   Yet,  much like with Barry Sanders being the best pure rusher of the latter part of the previous century,  both didn't standout as receivers and blitz protectors.

In terms of pure rushing,  my answer would clearly be Adrian Peterson.

In terms of a complete RB,  my answer would be LeSean McCoy.   

I'm going to give the rest of the top 5 some additional thought.    These days with RB rotations being much more of the norm instead of the exception,   it's more difficult to differentiate the RB's than used to be the case.  

Those are good top choices.

I would also consider Jamaal Charles, Doug Martin (who unfortunately got hurt), maybe Matt Forte.

But I agree that it is harder.  If you look, none of the guys seemed to average 20 carries a game.  That used to be a standard benchmark.

The game has slanted so much towards the passing game, it's tough to imagine.

If you ever get NFL Network, take a look at the games from the 1970s...and even the 1980s (Super Bowls).

Its weird seeing teams run pro sets.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

My list for the upcoming season would look like:

1. Charles

2. McCoy

3. Peterson

4. Forte

5. Lynch

6. Martin

7. Murray

8. Lacy

9. Ball

10. Bernard

In no order I've got lynch, Peterson, McCoy, charles, and forte.

All things considered, such as receiving threat and what they bring to the overall offense, not just rushing ability.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Only one back won the Belmont Stakes:http://profootballmock.com/marshawn-lync...nt-stakes/

Bullseye,  after reading your reply,  the immediate thought that comes to mind is the recent passing of former Cowboys FB Robert Newhouse.   His all around FB skills certainly helped the Cowboys stay at or near the top of the NFL for many seasons.  

Quote:Those are good top choices.

I would also consider Jamaal Charles, Doug Martin (who unfortunately got hurt), maybe Matt Forte.

But I agree that it is harder.  If you look, none of the guys seemed to average 20 carries a game.  That used to be a standard benchmark.

The game has slanted so much towards the passing game, it's tough to imagine.

If you ever get NFL Network, take a look at the games from the 1970s...and even the 1980s (Super Bowls).

Its weird seeing teams run pro sets.

Yup, that's why I hate when people say "1,000 in a season isn't impressive anymore". Less running backs are hitting the 1,000 mark now than a decade or two decades ago. A running back to hitting 1,000 yards in the age of Running Back By Committee and passing attacks deserves credit.

I'm thinking for this upcoming year

1: McCoy 

2. Peterson

3. Charles

4. Lynch

5. Forte

Maybe a harder question would be "best five fullbacks ?"

But can't argue with most of the names mentioned so far.

Of course it would be amazing if Gerhart could break into that list !

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 01:47 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Bullseye,  after reading your reply,  the immediate thought that comes to mind is the recent passing of former Cowboys FB Robert Newhouse.   His all around FB skills certainly helped the Cowboys stay at or near the top of the NFL for many seasons.  

Another casualty of the changing game (Fullbacks generally-not Newhouse)

Once upon a time, FBs were feature backs. 

Jim Brown and Larry Csonka, and IIRC, Franco Harris were FBs at one point.

Even when the I formation became prevalent, you still had great FBs like Newhouse, Cullen Bryant, Matt Suhey, Tom Rathman, William Floyd.

Now, with everything being spread out, not only are FBs disappearing, but it seems even power backs are vanishing, too.

As for Newhouse, he was a great FB and one of my faves growing up.

Quote:Yup, that's why I hate when people say "1,000 in a season isn't impressive anymore". Less running backs are hitting the 1,000 mark now than a decade or two decades ago. A running back to hitting 1,000 yards in the age of Running Back By Committee and passing attacks deserves credit.

I think it's going to get "worse" for fans of the running game.

Teams that run the spread typically seem to employ smaller, faster guys at RB who can get outside, since much of the running in spread goes outside.  As a general rule, these type players don't thrive in traditional NFL style offenses that emphasize running the ball between the tackles.

I think as the spread approach proliferates in the high school and college levels, I think you might see fewer and fewer RBs who can pound the rock between the tackles effectively.

As more pro teams adopt the approach, you will see that effect magnified.

Quote:Another casualty of the changing game (Fullbacks generally-not Newhouse)

Once upon a time, FBs were feature backs. 

Jim Brown and Larry Csonka, and IIRC, Franco Harris were FBs at one point.

Even when the I formation became prevalent, you still had great FBs like Newhouse, Cullen Bryant, Matt Suhey, Tom Rathman, William Floyd.

Now, with everything being spread out, not only are FBs disappearing, but it seems even power backs are vanishing, too.

As for Newhouse, he was a great FB and one of my faves growing up.

Related to what you mentioned,   the Lions are going to have a pure FB on the roster this season for the first time since 2011.    Being that so many teams phased out pure FB's,  it's now a story when a team plans on using one a significant portion of the time.    I miss the days of the FB's you mentioned.   Matt Suhey made Walter Payton's job much easier.     One of my favorites was Corey " Sledge " Schlesinger.    Dented facemasks were the norm for # 30.    Another one of my favorites was Lorenzo Neal,  who often paved the way for L.T. in San Diego. 

1. Peterson

2. Charles

3. McCoy

4. Lynch

5. Forte

6. Foster

7. Martin

8. Matthews

9. Lacy

10. Gerhart Smile
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Related to what you mentioned,   the Lions are going to have a pure FB on the roster this season for the first time since 2011.    Being that so many teams phased out pure FB's,  it's now a story when a team plans on using one a significant portion of the time.    I miss the days of the FB's you mentioned.   Matt Suhey made Walter Payton's job much easier.     One of my favorites was Corey " Sledge " Schlesinger.    Dented facemasks were the norm for # 30.    Another one of my favorites was Lorenzo Neal,  who often paved the way for L.T. in San Diego. 

Those were two excellent FBs.  Maurice Carthon was another good one.  William Henderson of the Pack was okay.  Edgar Bennett wasn't an overpowering blocker, but was a good all round back.  I too miss the days of the 1990s in terms of football.

When you really think about it, there's no reason why Toby couldn't be top 5 RB this season.