Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Texas Tech reinstates Nigel Bethel II after punching women BB player

Quote:I worry about getting involved in this, but I feel like this is a point that no one has brought up yet.

Isn't it also unrealistic to disregard that an adult male can do significantly more damage with a punch than an adult female? Punches, while being generated with the feet and hips, also involve the upper body muscle groups and it has been proven that an average adult male has more and denser upper body muscles than the average adult female. While the intent may or may not be the same, it stands to reason that a man can inflict more damage on a woman with a punch than vice versa.

I think that's the point that this thread has come to.  A man has the legal right to fight back if a woman swings at him, but whats the point? 

Lets say I'm down at the Landing and accidnetally bump into a woman and she spills her drink.  She is really really mad, enough so that she starts talking trash and takes a swing at me.  Whats the point of me swinging back just becuase I can?  It makes the situation worse and I guarantee if I hit her, I put her in the hospital.  But its ok because she swung at me first and its sexist that I didnt swing back?

LOL....if you need to feel like a real man to swing at a woman just because she swung at you, feel free.  If I'm out with some co workers and a girl swings at you first....even if its in your right to swing back, if you do it...I'm coming after you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It's not ok for him to retaliate if he had an opportunity to walk away which he did.

I guess you would feel the same way if someone decked your mother/sister/wife and broke her jaw under the same circumstances right?

Something also tells me that flsprtsgod doesn't know what chauvenist actually means....

Quote:I worry about getting involved in this, but I feel like this is a point that no one has brought up yet.

Isn't it also unrealistic to disregard that an adult male can do significantly more damage with a punch than an adult female? Punches, while being generated with the feet and hips, also involve the upper body muscle groups and it has been proven that an average adult male has more and denser upper body muscles than the average adult female. While the intent may or may not be the same, it stands to reason that a man can inflict more damage on a woman with a punch than vice versa.

Isn't it also unrealistic to disregard the stupidity of applying blanket statements like "NEVER" to averages across a population of 6 billion people?

What about the millions of women that are bigger and stronger than millions of men? Do they get free passes because of averages?

What about the millions of men that are smaller and weaker than millions of women? Should they accept the inflicted damage at the hands of a bigger, stronger individual because "on average, men are stronger"?

Quote:You don't get it. I am trying to see if you guys can at least come down a little bit from your "NEVER" comments. When I started the conversation, I figured that people in here had the common sense to realize there are times and places where hitting a man or woman is justifiable. TravC finally conceded that, but you are sticking to your "NEVER hit a woman" shtick.

I posted a link of a male being cornered and beaten to death by 4 women for insulting them. Do you think he was smart for not defending himself?

That guy put himself in a bad situation, and I didnt watch the video.  You are the one that doesn't get it.

We are talking about a girl that swung on a guy on a basketball court.  You are the one defending that it was ok for him to do it...and you are using an extreme case.  A girl swinging at a guy is much more common than what you are bringing up.

Quote:Isn't it also unrealistic to disregard the stupidity of applying blanket statements like "NEVER" to averages across a population of 6 billion people?

What about the millions of women that are bigger and stronger than millions of men? Do they get free passes because of averages?

What about the millions of men that are smaller and weaker than millions of women? Should they accept the inflicted damage at the hands of a bigger, stronger individual because "on average, men are stronger"?
Lol, you are stuck on that and have drifted away from your original arguement.

I think everyone here can say that "never" is a very general term and in certain situations it may have to happen.....but for you to make this your arguement now is funny.

Quote:I think that's the point that this thread has come to.  A man has the legal right to fight back if a woman swings at him, but whats the point? 

Lets say I'm down at the Landing and accidnetally bump into a woman and she spills her drink.  She is really really mad, enough so that she starts talking trash and takes a swing at me.  Whats the point of me swinging back just becuase I can?  It makes the situation worse and I guarantee if I hit her, I put her in the hospital.  But its ok because she swung at me first and its sexist that I didnt swing back?

Not every woman has the size, strength, and fighting ability of that girl at the bar. Not every man has the size and strength of you. Your average beer-gut Joe is not sending a pissed off Ronda Rousy to the hospital.

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:That guy put himself in a bad situation, and I didnt watch the video.  You are the one that doesn't get it.

We are talking about a girl that swung on a guy on a basketball court.  You are the one defending that it was ok for him to do it...and you are using an extreme case.  A girl swinging at a guy is much more common than what you are bringing up.

You STILL can't concede that he should have been able to defended himself? The guy was beat to death outside of a building he was trying to get into by 4 women who wouldn't let him get inside. If you can't even realize that THAT is a situation where hitting a woman is justifiable, can you understand how pointless it is to discuss the Battle/Bethel situation with you?

Quote:You STILL can't concede that he should have been able to defended himself? The guy was beat to death outside of a building he was trying to get into by 4 women who wouldn't let him get inside. If you can't even realize that THAT is a situation where hitting a woman is justifiable, can you understand how pointless it is to discuss the Battle/Bethel situation with you?

You should read every post in a thread before responding.

It's funny that you look at me like everyone looks at you.  You more often than not have taken the extreme side of things to "win" a discussion.  You are being irrational in this case.  In 99% of the cases, a male should not hit a female.  It shouldn't even cross the guys head, and if it does I feel like you have an issue.  You have an aggression issue, and hitting a female can only lead to worse things.

Quote:Lol, you are stuck on that and have drifted away from your original arguement.

I think everyone here can say that "never" is a very general term and in certain situations it may have to happen.....but for you to make this your arguement now is funny.

Again, you don't get it. I'm saying that if you can't even admit that it's okay to hit a woman in the most extreme situations (ie. getting beat to death), then discussing the debatable situations (Bethel/Battle) is pointless. I can see both sides of the Bethel/Battle situation because both sides have good points. I can't discuss that situation, though, with someone who thinks you "NEVER" hit a woman, even when facing disfigurement/death.

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 12:27 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:You should read every post in a thread before responding.

It's funny that you look at me like everyone looks at you.  You more often than not have taken the extreme side of things to "win" a discussion.  You are being irrational in this case.  In 99% of the cases, a male should not hit a female.  It shouldn't even cross the guys head, and if it does I feel like you have an issue.  You have an aggression issue, and hitting a female can only lead to worse things.

Now it's 99%?

So Diesel, now tell me that 1% of times that it is justifiable to hit a woman. I thought "It is NEVER okay to hit a woman"? We are making progress here.

Quote:You said NEVER; he is using an extreme example to prove your statement isn't what you mean it to be. It's a legit argument and you are avoiding it.

Quoted for Diesel.

This reminds me of a "WWYD" episode that showed the sickness of the double-standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRCS6GGhIRc

Quote:It's not ok for him to retaliate if he had an opportunity to walk away which he did.

I guess you would feel the same way if someone decked your mother/sister/wife and broke her jaw under the same circumstances right?
I was thinking of this earlier, but stayed away, but you are spot on.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Yup, that point has been brought up but disregarded. Not sure why this point is being missed on some.

;

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 12:43 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:You don't get it. I am trying to see if you guys can at least come down a little bit from your "NEVER" comments. When I started the conversation, I figured that people in here had the common sense to realize there are times and places where hitting a man or woman is justifiable. TravC finally conceded that, but you are sticking to your "NEVER hit a woman" shtick.

I posted a link of a male being cornered and beaten to death by 4 women for insulting them. Do you think he was smart for not defending himself?
Common sense is not common anymore, and you are proving it.

And you aren't being honest. You're original thought on the issue is that Bethel is justified in decking this woman and that a man has the right to punch a woman if she hits first.

You then go off on a tangent to try and justify what you were saying with very, very exaggerated circumstances way above and beyond the story told. You can't hide what you originally said.

;

Quote:Yup, that point has been brought up but disregarded. Not sure why this point is being missed on some.

Because you guys thank that blanket statements about averages should be extrapolated across the entire population. You refuse to believe that there a millions of women out there bigger and stronger than millions of men. Not sure why the fact that not ALL men are bigger and stronger than ALL Women is being missed on some.

Quote:Isn't it also unrealistic to disregard the stupidity of applying blanket statements like "NEVER" to averages across a population of 6 billion people?

I'd like to see the facts that back this up because from my experiences the vast majority of men are much, much stronger physically, and have stronger frames then the vast majority of women. Men have the advantages way more often then not as well in tensile strenght. Combine that with the natural muscle and it's just not a fair match.

Millions of women bigger and stronger then millions of men? Say what?

;

By the way, I'd appreciate it if you guys did a little research on the case if you are going to get this involved with it. There was no-broken jaw or any structural damaged involved. I don't know why I keep seeing the "broken jaw" rhetoric brought up like that's what happened.

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 01:04 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Because you guys thank that blanket statements about averages should be extrapolated across the entire population. You refuse to believe that there a millions of women out there bigger and stronger than millions of men. Not sure why the fact that not ALL men are bigger and stronger than ALL Women is being missed on some.
Your blinded by the fact that you made a horrible statement to start off and are doing anything to back it up with extreme outliers.

No one on here has disagreed that in a life or death situation that anyone will fight to survive. But you won't look at what you originally stated to what you are now saying. It is so extreme to prove what you believe that it's ludicrous, and anyone with common sense can see it.

;

Quote:Something also tells me that flsprtsgod doesn't know what chauvenist actually means....

It means exaggerated patriotism, but that's not germane.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato