Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Texas Tech reinstates Nigel Bethel II after punching women BB player

Quote:Being attacked repeatedly and defending yourself is totally different from suffering from one swing and having a opportunity to walk away if possible.

But that should apply to men and women alike. Your sexist perception gives additional credence to the fact that she's a woman making it worse strictly because of her gender.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Such as.........

You're making no sense here. I do not believe that women should be treated differently than men because of their gender. You clearly do. But I'm the sexist/chauvinist... :mellow:

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Did you fail to read where I agreed with you? This is why I proposed the following:

-Say about 30,000,000 males are smaller in height and weight than 78,000,000 female.

-Take the WEAKEST 7% of those smaller males. In other words, out of every 14 guys, you tell the strongest 13 to go home and only take the WEAKEST 1.

-Take the STRONGEST 3% of those larger females. In other words, out of every 33 females, you take the STRONGEST 1 and tell the weakest 32 to go home.

If you did that, you would still be left with over 2,000,000 males and 2,000,000 females.
Last comment.....If the woman doing the hitting is bigger, faster, stronger then the man, isn't that even more of a reason to get out of dodge? The stigma attached alone by getting "beat up" by a woman is worth getting outta there, again, imo. Just a thought.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 02:02 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Quote:But that should apply to men and women alike. Your sexist perception gives additional credence to the fact that she's a woman making it worse strictly because of her gender.

Quote:You're making no sense here. I do not believe that women should be treated differently than men because of their gender. You clearly do. But I'm the sexist/chauvinist... :mellow:

The majority of men are quicker, stronger, and hit twice as hard as women. 

Somehow you gloss over that.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I can and did prove that millions of men are smaller than millions of females. You know, as well as I do, that proving "strength" is difficult and entirely subjective. Are we talking upper body strength? Core strength? Leg strength? Hit force?

Out of the 30,000,000 men under 150 pounds, just take the WEAKEST 7%. Out of the Females 150 or more, take the STRONGEST 7%. I think that is more than reasonable and still leaves you with 2+ million men being weaker than 2+ million women.

Like I said:

[Image: SkinnyNerd1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSI...2047885372]

[Image: still5.jpg]

....Guys like that make up more than just a small fraction of the population.

What the hell......

I know you are not basing this as the main point of your argument.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

James, you don't think it's valid to consider the millions of men with that type of build/strength/demeanor when discussing this? Do you not think it's valid to consider the hundreds of thousands of women out there with trained fighting ability in things such as Military, Wrestling, Boxing, and Mixed Martial Arts? Do you not think it's valid to consider the hundreds of thousands of women with the physical size/strength/athleticism to compete in college and professional sports? 

Not every male out there has the size and strength you, Diesel, Trav, or myself possess.

Not every female out there is as petite and mild as our significant others.

Saying things like "a man should NEVER hit a woman because, on average, men are stronger than women" is ridiculous because it completely ignores the facts that there are a lot of pathetically weak men out there and a lot of impressively strong women out there.

Quote:The majority of men are quicker, stronger, and hit twice as hard as women. 

Somehow you gloss over that.

You try to make it relevant, but it's not. You seem to think that just because a little guy hits a big guy the big guy shouldn't hit him back. That's not so and it translates to gender norms too.

Quote:James, you don't think it's valid to consider the millions of men with that type of build/strength/demeanor when discussing this? Do you not think it's valid to consider the hundreds of thousands of women out there with trained fighting ability in things such as Military, Wrestling, Boxing, and Mixed Martial Arts? Do you not think it's valid to consider the hundreds of thousands of women with the physical size/strength/athleticism to compete in college and professional sports? 

Not every male out there has the size and strength you, Diesel, Trav, or myself possess.

Saying things like "a man should NEVER hit a woman because, on average, men are stronger than women" is ridiculous because it completely ignores the facts that there are a lot of pathetically weak men out there and a lot of impressively strong women out there.
Last comment.....If the woman doing the hitting is bigger, faster, stronger then the man, isn't that even more of a reason to get out of dodge? The stigma attached alone by getting "beat up" by a woman is worth getting outta there, again, imo. Just a thought.

Assuming your numbers are accurate, the percentage of the men and women you point out meeting up, and then actually having an altercation is low, making the argument even less valid.

Let's also not forgot, these numbers are trying to validate the fact that Bethel is justified in breaking a bone in a women's face because you feel 1:1 is always right.

;

Quote:James, you don't think it's valid to consider the millions of men with that type of build/strength/demeanor when discussing this? Do you not think it's valid to consider the hundreds of thousands of women out there with trained fighting ability in things such as Military, Wrestling, Boxing, and Mixed Martial Arts? Do you not think it's valid to consider the hundreds of thousands of women with the physical size/strength/athleticism to compete in college and professional sports? 

Do I think there are strong women out there? Yes

Do I think there are violent women out there? Yes

When it comes to individual confrontations, all that goes out the window.  Your quote with the pictures make it seem like there is this drastic shift in body type when it comes to men and women. 

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 02:21 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Quote:You try to make it relevant, but it's not. You seem to think that just because a little guy hits a big guy the big guy shouldn't hit him back. That's not so and it translates to gender norms too.

It took a while, but here comes the spin.

First off, this topic is about a confrontation between a man and woman. 

A woman started the confrontation by hitting the man, he retaliated by hitting the woman back with a force so strong she suffered a broken jaw.

Where is it that the majority of men is stronger than women is irrelevant? That dosent apply to this case.

That's not what I was trying to do. Those aren't your average males, which was my point. Those are males that are smaller and weaker than the average male. Still, there are 150 million males in the United States and if guys like that only made up 2% of the population, you are still talking about 3 million individuals. That is a lot of males being covered by a blanket statement of "NEVER hit a women because men are, on average, stronger than women".

Quote:It took a while, but here comes the spin.

A woman started the confrontation by hitting the man, he retaliated by hitting the woman back with a force so strong she suffered a broken jaw.

Where is it that the majority of men is stronger than women is irrelevant? That dosent apply to this case.

False. There was no broken jaw. I already made you guys aware of that with post #78 of this thread.

Quote:By the way, I'd appreciate it if you guys did a little research on the case if you are going to get this involved with it. There was no-broken jaw or any structural damaged involved. I don't know why I keep seeing the "broken jaw" rhetoric brought up like that's what happened.

Again, it's irrelevant. She hit him, he hit back. Fights aren't fair, and starting one you are sure to lose is stupid. Blaming the man for retaliating because she's a woman (who threw the first punch btw) is sexist. And you saying that it's only relevant because she's a woman is sexist and paternalistic. She's an adult who made a choice to hit someone and then everyone just wants to absolve her of any consequences because she's "just" a girl.

I've been pointing this out ad nasueam. It has evolved and been so diluted by throwing out things that, percentage wise are so small, (issues of life or death, some women being stronger, etc). All to prove a point made that Bethel is fine breaking a bone in this girls face.

;

Quote:I can and did prove that millions of men are smaller than millions of females. You know, as well as I do, that proving "strength" is difficult and entirely subjective. Are we talking upper body strength? Core strength? Leg strength? Hit force?

Out of the 30,000,000 men under 150 pounds, just take the WEAKEST 7%. Out of the Females 150 or more, take the STRONGEST 7%. I think that is more than reasonable and still leaves you with 2+ million men being weaker than 2+ million women.

Like I said:

[Image: SkinnyNerd1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSI...2047885372]

[Image: still5.jpg]

....Guys like that make up more than just a small fraction of the population.

Just because a guy weighs 160, and a woman weighs 170....doesn't mean she is even close to him in physicality.

You get that...right?

His point is pretty clear.

If you think that the reason a man should not retaliate when a woman hits him is because women are smaller and weaker despite being hit first,

then do you also agree that a man should not retaliate hitting a smaller and weaker male, despite being hit first?

Quote:That's not what I was trying to do. Those aren't your average males, which was my point. Those are males that are smaller and weaker than the average male. Still, there are 150 million males in the United States and if guys like that only made up 2% of the population, you are still talking about 3 million individuals. That is a lot of males being covered by a blanket statement of "NEVER hit a women because men are, on average, stronger than women".
Your numbers still aren't proven. But assume they are. The percentage is so small, and it gets even smaller that those populations meet up, and even smaller that a confrontation will occur between that population.

And again..............It is so far removed from the OP it's not even funny.

;

Quote:False. There was no broken jaw. I already made you guys aware of that with post #78 of this thread.
Broke a bone in her face, happy?

;

Quote:But that should apply to men and women alike. Your sexist perception gives additional credence to the fact that she's a woman making it worse strictly because of her gender.

How is it sexist to treat women with respect?  This isn't just about fighting, but in general...women deserve to be respected, and you are acting like doing that is a bad thing.

Quote:Just because a guy weighs 160, and a woman weighs 170....doesn't mean she is even close to him in physicality.

You get that...right?
No he doesn't. It was a pointless thing to point out to try and prove his original statement made.

;