Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Texas Tech reinstates Nigel Bethel II after punching women BB player

Quote:Its just another example of the pro-patriarchal, hetero-normative paradigm on display through an unconscious expression of male privilege.
I'm not sure what you just said, but I retract anything I said before. I'd hit it! Banana

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm not sure what you just said, but I retract anything I said before. I'd hit it! Banana

Be careful...it might hit back!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Be careful...it might hit back!!
I'll check with Sammy about that. He must know. He's been doing it for years. :yes:

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I'll check with Sammy about that. He must know. He's been doing it for years. :yes:

Could be why hasn't been around much lately! Finally caught up with him! :whistling:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 09:29 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Quote:His point is pretty clear.

If you think that the reason a man should not retaliate when a woman hits him is because women are smaller and weaker despite being hit first,

then do you also agree that a man should not retaliate hitting a smaller and weaker male, despite being hit first?

Yeah his point is very clear.

Its clear that you and him BOTH support Bethel violently hitting a woman causing injuries. This is something we can all agree on right?

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 09:28 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Quote:I agree, opening doors, paying for dinner, taking a girl to a movie and paying for it....all sexist.  We are all sexist.

LOL, this is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

What's sad is he has daughters and..................

im going to shut up

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

I agree with hailtoyourvictor.

There's no expectation to retreat if you're in fear of receiving bodily harm so long as the threat of violence is justified through something to support it. If she punches you, you have every right to punch her back. 

This idea of not hitting women (in self-defense) is noble, but it leads to A LOT of serious injuries for the victim. It could be the woman landing the perfect punch, that despite the differences in sizes, allowed her to knock him out. I see women escalate the physical violence too. They see that their punches don't cause the damage they're looking for so they use a weapon or object to do more.

That happens all the time. 

Granted, if for some reason my girlfriend decided to punch me, I wouldn't punch her back. That has more to do with a willingness to accept the risk over hurting her. If a stranger decided to attack me, you better believe I'd hit her back. I've seen too many men fall into the perception that women can't hurt them when they certainly can.

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't know the female's level of training. She may very well have the ability to knock you out and she's waiting for you to walk away.

Quote:What's sad is he has daughters and..................

im going to shut up

Don't be sad. My daughters are strong and intelligent young women  perfectly capable of navigating the world without cheeseballs like you guys condescending to them based on their biological plumbing. They also have the skill to compete against you without the need to resort to violence to best you and the poise to lose with grace should that occur. They'll also hold the door open for you because I've taught them to be decent people. 

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Don't be sad. My daughters are strong and intelligent young women  perfectly capable of navigating the world without cheeseballs like you guys condescending to them based on their biological plumbing. They also have the skill to compete against you without the need to resort to violence to best you and the poise to lose with grace should that occur. They'll also hold the door open for you because I've taught them to be decent people. 

I think you have the people that are condescending flipped.  From the discussion I am and will always be way more respectable to a woman than you are.

I only hope your daughter doesn't get mad at a boyfriend and shoves him (ill make it easier for you, really really really hard!)....and then he knocks her out with one punch.  I have a feeling you're opinion would change in that situation.

Is this thread still going on ...?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I think you have the people that are condescending flipped.  From the discussion I am and will always be way more respectable to a woman than you are.

I only hope your daughter doesn't get mad at a boyfriend and shoves him (ill make it easier for you, really really really hard!)....and then he knocks her out with one punch.  I have a feeling you're opinion would change in that situation.

You can see it however you like, it's just confirmation bias at work. I am and always will be more respectable to people than you are because I choose not to place one gender on a pedestal above the others. We treat ALL people with respect because, as humans, they are inherently worthy of it (until they aren't), not because of their anatomy.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:You can see it however you like, it's just confirmation bias at work. I am and always will be more respectable to people than you are because I choose not to place one gender on a pedestal above the others. We treat ALL people with respect because, as humans, they are inherently worthy of it (until they aren't), not because of their anatomy.

So now because I treat women with respect I don't treat men with respect?  This is hilarious.

Quote:So now because I treat women with respect I don't treat men with respect?  This is hilarious.

You're the one with the discrimination issues.

Quote:You're the one with the discrimination issues.

Earlier it was chauvinist, now its a discrimination issue.  I discriminate against....males?

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014, 09:42 AM by TravC59.)

Quote:You can see it however you like, it's just confirmation bias at work. I am and always will be more respectable to people than you are because I choose not to place one gender on a pedestal above the others. We treat ALL people with respect because, as humans, they are inherently worthy of it (until they aren't), not because of their anatomy.
I am not sure why some see being chivalrous as a bad thing. Because someone is does not mean they do not treat all human beings with respect. That's a silly notion.

What do you have against those who are chivalrous? I thought you respected all humans.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I am not sure why some see being chivalrous as a bad thing. Because someone is does not mean they do not treat all human beings with respect. That's a silly notion.

Benevolent Sexism is still sexism.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...121314.htm

Back to the question at hand. The player struck another player and got suspended.

Do you think the penalty should've been more severe because he punched a girl instead of a guy or is the penalty the same along with a healthy dose of cultural shaming?

Quote:Benevolent Sexism is still sexism.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...121314.htm
So this article slaps your previous comment right in the face,. Nice. And for articles like this found on google, I too could find ones that say how wonderful being chivalrous is. Go figure.

;

Quote:Back to the question at hand. The player struck another player and got suspended.

Do you think the penalty should've been more severe because he punched a girl instead of a guy or is the penalty the same along with a healthy dose of cultural shaming?
Based on the law, I think it was handled appropriately.

;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlvvCYUDHrQ

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]