Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lottery Winner Must Share $1.7 Million Jackpot With Psychic Waiter

Lottery Winner Must Share $1.7 Million Jackpot With Psychic Waiter

In a legal ruling no one could have predicted, a judge in England has ordered a lottery winner to split his jackpot with the waiter who predicted the win.

The case revolves around Fatih Ozcan, a waiter at the Kapadokya Turkish restaurant in York, who decided to buy a lottery ticket after dreaming he was showing a bunch of cash to his manager, Hayati Kucukkoylu.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/15...weird-news

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

More proof that certain judges are not worthy of their positions. Unreal. 

For those of you who didn't read the article; It's not like the guy showed a lottery ticket and the waiter said it was going to be a winner. The guy who paid for the ticket wouldn't have bought a ticket if the waiter hadn't pestered him for three hours to do so. 

Look at it this way; if the waiter was an undercover cop trying to pose as a drug dealer this would qualify as entrapment.

Quote:More proof that certain judges are not worthy of their positions. Unreal.

I think this had a lot to do with the ruling:

Quote:... and that surveillance film showed them picking out the numbers also affected the judge's decision.

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Hmmmm.

I really want to fly off the handle here and start throwing around accusations, but then a few of you guys actually go and read the facts of the case.

You're ruining all of the fun!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I thought you had to physically contribute to purchasing the numbers to be apart of winning. Kind of like if you have a work pool and don't put any money in you don't get any of the winnings.

Since he didn't "pay" for it I don't understand why he gets the winnings.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I think this had a lot to do with the ruling:

I get that.....but its still the other guys ticket. If the other one liked those numbers so much, he could have purchased his own ticket with those numbers. I still don't necessarily argee with the verdict. 

Quote:I thought you had to physically contribute to purchasing the numbers to be apart of winning. Kind of like if you have a work pool and don't put any money in you don't get any of the winnings.

Yes, this is also how I see it and why I am taking the stance I am. 

Quote:I thought you had to physically contribute to purchasing the numbers to be apart of winning. Kind of like if you have a work pool and don't put any money in you don't get any of the winnings.

Quote:Yes, this is also how I see it and why I am taking the stance I am.

Quote:After the £1million win, the restaurant owner claimed he won alone but Mr Ozcan was adamant that he chose some of the numbers, paid half of the stake – and had inspired the joint bid with his dream.

Mr Kucukkoylu was held in police custody for nine hours after Mr Ozcan called Camelot and reported the ticket stolen.

Mr Ozcan later admitted he lied about the theft but said his boss had threatened him, leaving him “fearful for his safety”.

The judge saw CCTV from the Kapadokya Turkish restaurant in York showing slips being filled in. It suggested both men chose numbers and each paid half the stake.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/488880/High-Court-judge-splits-1m-lottery-win-between-bitter-restaurant-pair'>http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/488880/High-Court-judge-splits-1m-lottery-win-between-bitter-restaurant-pair</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/488880/High-Court-judge-splits-1m-lottery-win-between-bitter-restaurant-pair'>http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/488880/High-Court-judge-splits-1m-lottery-win-between-bitter-restaurant-pair</a>

Well, this isn't going to support someone's feigned disdain for an "unqualified" judge.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Dangit, will you guys stop providing facts?!?!?! I'm trying to have a knee jerk reaction here!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I read the article....

I still think its silly. He should have bought his own ticket if he was so certain those numbers would come out. He assumed the other guy would share if he won, ...well thats what happens when you assume. 

Doesn't matter now that the judge ruled the way he did, but whatever. 

If I come on here and say I'm playing the lotto tonight.....and I ask 6 of you (5 for the numbers and one for powerball....is that how that works?) to give me random numbers.  I go and pay for the tickets with my money.  Do each of you get a percentage of the winnings?

I don't care if a "psychic" pestered me for 3 hours to do it, and we picked out the numbers together it was still his money.  What made it a joint venture?  Is there something in writing?

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2014, 10:46 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:If I come on here and say I'm playing the lotto tonight.....and I ask 6 of you (5 for the numbers and one for powerball....is that how that works?) to give me random numbers.  I go and pay for the tickets with my money.  Do each of you get a percentage of the winnings?....

...if we take you to court and are lucky enough to get that judge....then I'd say the chances are good B) Laughing 

Quote:...if we take you to court and are lucky enough to get that judge....then I'd say the chances are good B)  Laughing

I'm assuming there may have been much more evidence in the trial that said they agreed if he won that they would split it.  Who knows....I'm just saying, my money, my winnings....unless we have an agreement.

Who knows if in the dream he was holding tons of money, but it was because the owner won and let him hold it.  lol

Quote:I'm assuming there may have been much more evidence in the trial that said they agreed if he won that they would split it....

Who knows....I'm just saying, my money, my winnings....unless we have an agreement.

Who knows if in the dream he was holding tons of money, but it was because the owner won and let him hold it.  lol

I'd bet not. 

Otherwise, we're in agreement with the general take. 

Quote:I'd bet not. 

Otherwise, we're in agreement with the general take. 

Not only that, if he was so sure he was going to win the lotto....he didnt have a few bucks to go play on his own?  Why let someone take half your money?

Quote:Not only that, if he was so sure he was going to win the lotto....he didnt have a few bucks to go play on his own?  Why let someone take half your money?

I agree. The ultimate responsibility falls on himself. I even said that  - why chance it? If he was so sure those numbers were going to come out - he should have purchased a ticket for himself. Thats what I would have done. I would have assumed nothing. (in terms of the other person splitting it with me if the number came out) 

Quote:I'm assuming there may have been much more evidence in the trial that said they agreed if he won that they would split it.  Who knows....I'm just saying, my money, my winnings....unless we have an agreement.

While I agree with you that if you're spending your money to buy the tickets, and you win, it should be your winnings.  However, as this case demonstrates, if someone helped you with the number selection, and they can prove it, there's a court out there that will side with them.  As ridiculous as it sounds, there's always a lawyer out there willing to take a case like this.  The funny thing is the winner is going to get half of the settlement, pay half of that in taxes, and a 1/3 of it to the attorney.  When the dust settles, there won't be a ton left to enjoy. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]