Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
#95- going forward

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017, 12:16 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

Quote:He'll be looking for 4+ million a year at least. 5 million would be reasonable for both sides when you look at other players around that number.
I was thinking around the same numbers as well. From a Jags standpoint though they already got 4.1 M in Roy Miller, 4.6 M in Marks, and 15.5 M in Malik for the 2017 season. I am not sure if I would feel comfortable adding another 4-5 M player to a NT, unless one of Marks or Miller is cut. Which kind of gets me thinking if it is in the Jags plan to resign Jones, I got to think either Miller or Marks is getting cut. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I haven't started a thread in over a year, not my style to try to draw attention to my posts, but I've been waiting week after week to see someone point out the job this guy has done.

If everyone took that approach, this message board wouldn't exist.

Post your thoughts more often, the more topics and varying opinions benefit this board.   :thumbsup:

Jones seems like a solid DT (at least as a role player) moving into the future.

Coughlin drafted Stroud and Henderson in Round 1 which made up the core of outstanding DLine years ago so he's only going to get better if Coughlin has any influence on the Defense.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017, 12:57 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:Odrick fits at End if we go 3/4, he was brought to play pretty much that anyway. None of the current guys could be an effective nose in that set though, they're all 4/3 fits. We seem to have LB sized pass rushers and 4/3 sized tackles, I hope the new coach can sort this out.

At this point in time of his career, I think Odrick (at age 29 and only getting worse) is a good fit for a top team needing someone to fill in for an injured starter.

There is no way I'd bring him back at $8m/year w/ the $2m Roster Bonus in 2017 --- we can walk away at no cost.

<p style="font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:17px;color:rgb(59,59,59);">The other big signing in free agency for the Jacksonville Jaguars was defensive lineman Jared Odrick, getting a five-year deal worth $42.5 million with 22.5 million guaranteed. Unlike Julius Thomas' deal, the deal for Odrick had an initial sticker shock by most people, but it was also considered a very good get for the Jaguars, who add even more talent to their defensive line.

<p style="font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:17px;color:rgb(59,59,59);"> 

<p style="font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:17px;color:rgb(59,59,59);">Unlike Thomas' deal, Odrick did not have a signing bonus, but the first year of his deal will pay out a total of $9 million thanks to a $5 million roster bonus.

<p style="font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:17px;color:rgb(59,59,59);">Here is how the rest of his contract breaks down.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2015-03-12_at_8.33.53_PM.0.png]

<p style="font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:17px;color:rgb(59,59,59);">Also like Thomas' deal, the Jaguars can completely get out of Odrick's contract after the 2016 season if necessary with no dead money. It's setup almost like a set of two different contracts for the Jaguars with that $2 million roster bonus due in 2017.

Quote:At this point in time of his career, I think Odrick (at age 29 and only getting worse) is a good fit for a top team needing someone to fill in for an injured starter.

There is no way I'd bring him back at $8m/year w/ the $2m Roster Bonus in 2017 --- we can walk away at no cost.

The other big signing in free agency for the <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/jacksonville-jaguars'>Jacksonville Jaguars</a> was defensive lineman <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108663/jared-odrick'>Jared Odrick</a>, getting a five-year deal worth $42.5 million with 22.5 million guaranteed. Unlike Julius Thomas' deal, the deal for Odrick had an initial sticker shock by most people, but it was also considered a very good get for the Jaguars, who add even more talent to their defensive line.

Unlike Thomas' deal, Odrick did not have a signing bonus, but the first year of his deal will pay out a total of $9 million thanks to a $5 million roster bonus.

Here is how the rest of his contract breaks down.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2015-03-12_at_8.33.53_PM.0.png]

Also like Thomas' deal, the Jaguars can completely get out of Odrick's contract after the 2016 season if necessary with no dead money. It's setup almost like a set of two different contracts for the Jaguars with that $2 million roster bonus due in 2017.

Exactly. I guess I should've said I'd rather pay Abry 5 mil than pay Odrick 8.5 mil. Didn't mean they play/compete for the same position.

Quote:I was thinking around the same numbers as well. From a Jags standpoint though they already got 4.1 M in Roy Miller, 4.6 M in Marks, and 15.5 M in Malik for the 2017 season. I am not sure if I would feel comfortable adding another 4-5 M player to a NT, unless one of Marks or Miller is cut. Which kind of gets me thinking if it is in the Jags plan to resign Jones, I got to think either Miller or Marks is getting cut.

Agree with all of that. Who would you cut? I have faith in Sheldon Day to back up Malik so Marks can be cut but at the same time Roy Millet tore his achilles and thats very very hard to come back. Can Wake did it but he's a freak of nature.

Quote:Agree with all of that. Who would you cut? I have faith in Sheldon Day to back up Malik so Marks can be cut but at the same time Roy Millet tore his achilles and thats very very hard to come back. Can Wake did it but he's a freak of nature.

I like Roy Miller but have to admit the Achilles probably did him in.  I just tore mine and I couldn't imagine a 318 pound Defensive Lineman that is 29 years old coming back from that type of injury to add the value that we need to become an elite defense.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017, 01:04 PM by JackCity.)

Quote:I like Roy Miller but have to admit the Achilles probably did him in. I just tore mine and I couldn't imagine a 318 pound Defensive Lineman that is 29 years old coming back from that type of injury to add the value that we need to become an elite defense.

Its a tough decision because when healthy he is an elite run stopper. I wonder if after the injury he can still at least be a good run defender? Or will he just fall off a cliff.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017, 01:25 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

Quote:Exactly. I guess I should've said I'd rather pay Abry 5 mil than pay Odrick 8.5 mil. Didn't mean they play/compete for the same position.
I agree. I was trying highlight how much is being payed out for the Jags 4-3 DTs as it stands, which is a lot of money. Odrick is a pretty good 4-3 end, but at the price he is being paid (top 10 4-3 end money) that type of production can be replaced and cap can be saved. 

Quote:Agree with all of that. Who would you cut? I have faith in Sheldon Day to back up Malik so Marks can be cut but at the same time Roy Millet tore his achilles and thats very very hard to come back. Can Wake did it but he's a freak of nature.
It would be a tough decision really because as you brought up you gotta weigh Miller's terrible injury vs Day or Marks as the back up to Malik and as the other pass rushing DT on passing downs. I guess I would have to wait to see on how Millers recovery goes, but man its tough. 

Edit- To add a bit more, just thought about this. Wouldn't mind seeing the Jags resign Abry to 4-5 M per year, cutting either Miller/Marks and Odrick and going after JPP who maybe Coughlin can get here. Yannick-Jones-Malik-JPP would be niiiiiice.