Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ranking the NFL owners

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47...est-owners

This article is a couple months old but hey its the draft zone. They have Shad Khan ranked dead in the middle. Do you think that's too high? Low? What about the others? I think Lurie is ranked a bit too high personally.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not a bad list and ranking article.  I disagree with putting Synder at 32 because of the PC Police.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Way too low for Jerry Jones.  Great owner, terrible GM.  But they are rating owners here....and despite being a .500 team for the past 17 years, he has them the most valuable.  That is a great owner.

Quote:Way too low for Jerry Jones.  Great owner, terrible GM.  But they are rating owners here....and despite being a .500 team for the past 17 years, he has them the most valuable.  That is a great owner.

Sorry, if you are looking at owners you are looking at what they do as a whole.  Jerry Jones is one of the worst owners in the league because he is too dumb to actually go out and hire a GM.  Instead he lets himself do it and not know how to properly put a roster together...heck, many GM's dont know how to put a roster together, but Jones has had more than enough time to figure it out.

Just imagine how valuable they would be if they were good.

Quote:Not a bad list and ranking article.  I disagree with putting Synder at 32 because of the PC Police.

PC Police?

How about the team being mostly terrible since he bought them?

Him being on his 8th head coach?

Quote:Sorry, if you are looking at owners you are looking at what they do as a whole. Jerry Jones is one of the worst owners in the league because he is too dumb to actually go out and hire a GM. Instead he lets himself do it and not know how to properly put a roster together...heck, many GM's dont know how to put a roster together, but Jones has had more than enough time to figure it out.

Exactly.

If he were a 'great owner', he wouldn't be GM.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2014, 02:00 PM by CowJag.)

Quote:Sorry, if you are looking at owners you are looking at what they do as a whole.  Jerry Jones is one of the worst owners in the league because he is too dumb to actually go out and hire a GM.  Instead he lets himself do it and not know how to properly put a roster together...heck, many GM's dont know how to put a roster together, but Jones has had more than enough time to figure it out.

Yeah I knew I would take heat for that and you make a valid point.  I'm not suggesting he be up at the top here and that is because of the GM issue, which I agree with 100%.  Very frustrated about that.  But he does have to get some credit being how has marketed the team since becoming the owner.  Despite them being mediocre, they are still the most valued.  Not sure they could be worth that much more if they were winning.  Look at the team value at 2 New England...they have won and often.  So if he gets booted down several notches because being a bonehead when it comes to the GM issue, he still should get pushed up because of the other qualities he brings as an owner.  I am extremely frustrated by the fact he will not hire a GM.  He has accepted being 8-8 because he is still making money,,the fans still come and spend.  It is not fair to the fans.  But overall...you cannot deny the fact he possesses the trait that makes an owner of a corporation a great one...and that is making money.  His "business" decisions have paid off for him and the NFL.  Big part of being an owner.

and this is quoted from the article:

Truth be told, Jones has been a better GM than given credit for. Widely perceived as a disaster, Jones have nevertheless overseen nine .500 or better campaigns over the past 11 seasons. The problem is, .500 seasons aren’t the benchmark in Dallas — championships are. And Jones is getting worse, growing more incoherent on draft weekend while habitually overpaying his own players. If Jones were the general manager of any other team, he would have been fired long ago. But since he won’t fire himself, he’s dooming the league’s preeminent franchise to T-shirt sale championships instead of football ones.

Not sure how long he can run on fumes.  Poor GM as we both agree one.  

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2014, 03:41 PM by thunderbuns.)

Quote:Yeah I knew I would take heat for that and you make a valid point.  I'm not suggesting he be up at the top here and that is because of the GM issue, which I agree with 100%.  Very frustrated about that.  But he does have to get some credit being how has marketed the team since becoming the owner.  Despite them being mediocre, they are still the most valued.  Not sure they could be worth that much more if they were winning.  Look at the team value at 2 New England...they have won and often.  So if he gets booted down several notches because being a bonehead when it comes to the GM issue, he still should get pushed up because of the other qualities he brings as an owner.  I am extremely frustrated by the fact he will not hire a GM.  He has accepted being 8-8 because he is still making money,,the fans still come and spend.  It is not fair to the fans.  But overall...you cannot deny the fact he possesses the trait that makes an owner of a corporation a great one...and that is making money.  His "business" decisions have paid off for him and the NFL.  Big part of being an owner.

It's like a movie. Transformers will make hundreds of millions of dollars but it isn't winning any Oscars. Jerry Bruckheimer is one of the richest producers in Hollywood and most of his movies are absolute crap.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2014, 05:18 PM by CowJag.)

Quote:It's like a movie. Transformers will make hundreds of millions of dollars but it isn't winning any Oscars. Jerry Bruckheimer is one of the richest producers in Hollywood and most of his movies are absolute crap.
Ha Ha that was great.  Hey, he was smart enough to do some things and that was hire Jimmy Johnson.  And that netted 3 SB's in 4 years.  It was a great run...many teams don't sniff that type of success in their history, let alone in a 4 year stretch.  And since the last SB they have been a .500 team.  Some teams would be grateful with that!!!!

Being an owner has a lot of intangibles.   If he is beat up for the GM part, you have to (and it is hard) to give him credit in certain areas.  It pains me to say it, but trying to be none bias and open minded.  Owner as a "whole"

Quote:PC Police?

How about the team being mostly terrible since he bought them?

Him being on his 8th head coach?

Yeah "PC Police".  Why cite that item at all?  If you are talking about on the field and his being impatient, does that really make him number 32?  Other than income and team value, yeah he is bottom tier overall but dead last?  That is my point honestly with my comment.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Way too low for Jerry Jones.  Great owner, terrible GM.  But they are rating owners here....and despite being a .500 team for the past 17 years, he has them the most valuable.  That is a great owner.

Plus bringing in great ratings for NBC with the late season epic meltdowns.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Yeah "PC Police".  Why cite that item at all?  If you are talking about on the field and his being impatient, does that really make him number 32?  Other than income and team value, yeah he is bottom tier overall but dead last?  That is my point honestly with my comment.

You're singling out one sentence in a large paragraph that explains why Snyder is possibly the worst owner in American pro sports.

It probably would have made more sense if the ownership situations in Tennessee,  Detroit,  and Buffalo weren't rated this year,  when considering the owners of all 3 teams passed away in the last several months.   In the case of the Lions and Bills,  the teams haven't even played a game since William Clay Ford Sr. and Ralph Wilson passed away.  

I love that this early on we have an owner smack dab in the middle. Hope he can move on up to the top tier.

Quote:I love that this early on we have an owner smack dab in the middle. Hope he can move on up to the top tier.

I was thinking the same thing.   His arrow is pointed up because I'm pretty sure he was ranked toward the bottom last year.  Now there are teams watching the way the Jaguars are doing things and taking note.  Big change from the past.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:It probably would have made more sense if the ownership situations in Tennessee,  Detroit,  and Buffalo weren't rated this year,  when considering the owners of all 3 teams passed away in the last several months.   In the case of the Lions and Bills,  the teams haven't even played a game since William Clay Ford Sr. and Ralph Wilson passed away.  

Good point. 

OK overall, though I'd rank him higher than Benson. I mean, come on...Benson threatened to move the Saints. As far as a fanbase goes, that SHOULD be the biggest negative as there is for an owner.