Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What coach do you prefer?
Kyle Shanahan
Doug Marrone
Tom Coughlin
Josh McDaniels
Todd Haley
Jim Bob Cooter
Mike Smith
Other - If so please reply with a name and I can add.
Matt Patricia
David Toub
David Shaw
P.J. Fleck
Sean Payton
Teryl Austin
Bill Cowher
Edgar Bennett
John Harbaugh
Bill Callahan
Jon Gruden
[Show Results]

Which Coach you want to get hired?

Quote:I like Patricia, he is a good defensive mind. This is just me going on gut here, but I feel like he's a career coordinator, I don't get a Head Coach vibe from him. Maybe he needs more experience but I don't really see it. 

Is there anything in particular regarding Matt Patricia that concerns you as a HC candidate other than him not having HC experience?   Time will tell if Patricia becomes a highly successful NFL HC but he's definitely someone I have on my radar screen.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: Is there anything in particular regarding Matt Patricia that concerns you as a HC candidate other than him not having HC experience?   Time will tell if Patricia becomes a highly successful NFL HC but he's definitely someone I have on my radar screen.

Well that kind of what I was saying, it's more that I just dont "feel it" and I haven't seen any evidence of game-day management, or preparation, that sort of thing. The Patriots run a tight operation, and you hope that would rub off. My choice is P.J. Fleck who's ony NFL experience is being Tampa's WR coach so experience isn't my concern there. I really don't have any hard reasoning, Ill admit. 

Quote:Well that kind of what I was saying, it's more that I just dont "feel it" and I haven't seen any evidence of game-day management, or preparation, that sort of thing. The Patriots run a tight operation, and you hope that would rub off. My choice is P.J. Fleck who's ony NFL experience is being Tampa's WR coach so experience isn't my concern there. I really don't have any hard reasoning, Ill admit. 

Regarding P.J. Fleck,  I'll say this.  I never envisioned WMU playing in a Bowl Game as prestigious as the Cotton Bowl.   That's the type of game that Michigan and MSU would end up in,  not a MAC school.

Quote:I'm still firmly in the Jon Gruden camp. I know he said he's not looking to coach again, but that's not set in stone. Money talks.

I like gruden. I don't think he's this God of coaches like a lot of people think, but he is a good coach and he would help the Jaguars.

The one reason he intrigues me more than other guys is he is such a marquee name, that he would give us an instant increase in national exposure, fans, and respect.

It would definitely cost us more than any other coach though. I'd try to make the contract as incentive laden as possible.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:  Regarding P.J. Fleck,  I'll say this.  I never envisioned WMU playing in a Bowl Game as prestigious as the Cotton Bowl.   That's the type of game that Michigan and MSU would end up in,  not a MAC school.

Fleck is a fantastic college coach. Teams like Texas and Oregon made huge mistakes not hiring this guy. I think he could be very successful at a major university. 

I actually have a guy I want that is a bit under the radar.

Bill Callahan

He could bring his son (QB coach) from Detroit to be OC.

and then bring Perry Fewell on as DC

I was thinking Maronne would win out and get the job and be DC's easy out.

But with the firm guy being hired... I think Coughlin gets it. It just seems like what "fans want" and media will praise it as genius unless it doesn't work and then they'll say he was too old.

Quote: Is there anything in particular regarding Matt Patricia that concerns you as a HC candidate other than him not having HC experience?

The record of former Patriots coordinators as head coaches?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:The record of former Patriots coordinators as head coaches?
Yeah.... the Pats fleece people all the time. Coaches, players for picks, etc etc

Although... it is always tempting that "this one" might bring the same Patriots way to the organization. That's why they keep getting hired.

Quote:I like gruden. I don't think he's this God of coaches like a lot of people think, but he is a good coach and he would help the Jaguars.

The one reason he intrigues me more than other guys is he is such a marquee name, that he would give us an instant increase in national exposure, fans, and respect.

It would definitely cost us more than any other coach though. I'd try to make the contract as incentive laden as possible.

added

He has already said on the year, he likes his job and isn't going anywhere soon. I think Gruden has it made for the rest of his life if he never comes back to football, coaching wise. Everyone thinks he's a bad [BLEEP] HC and can't do anything wrong, that line of public thinking will change if he becomes a HC and then has a team that goes 7-9.

I think he would be a good coach still, he would just need to start back in a OC job or smaller first and get his feet wet again.

Quote:I actually have a guy I want that is a bit under the radar.

Bill Callahan

But with the firm guy being hired... I think Coughlin gets it. It just seems like what "fans want" and media will praise it as genius unless it doesn't work and then they'll say he was too old.
added

Quote:Fleck is a fantastic college coach. Teams like Texas and Oregon made huge mistakes not hiring this guy. I think he could be very successful at a major university. 

Another 13-0 season or even close to that will probably land P.J. Fleck a contract with a major university.   Texas or Oregon might regret it that much more if it's with a university in the same conference.    When combining with the season WMU is having,  with Eric Fisher going # 1 in the 2013 Draft and Khalil Mack # 5 in the 2014 Draft,  the MAC Conference has made tremendous strides forwards.

Quote:I actually have a guy I want that is a bit under the radar.

Bill Callahan

Brian Callahan probably will be an Offensive Coordinator sometime before this decade ends.   He's following a very similar path as Jim Bob Cooter did,  including having the opportunity to work with Peyton Manning.

Quote:The record of former Patriots coordinators as head coaches?

It's a legit concern.   Yet,  the terrific work that Bill O'Brien is doing with the Houston Texans is attention getting in a positive manner.

Its still Mike Smith for me. One of the potential problems leveled against him has been without a good OC he will struggle as a HC.

He has actually shown a very keen eye for assembling offensive staff. From 2008-2011 Mike Mularkey was the OC and had the Falcons averaging 152 yards rushing per game in his first year there. He was bad here but currently doing a good job with the Titans.

Bill Musgrave the current Raiders OC was his quarterbacks coach and assistant head coach for years with Falcons. He's widely praised as one of the best offensive minds in the league right now and has had a big effect on Carr's development. Potentially a OC candidate for us if Smith is hired.

Dirk Koetter was his OC from 2012-2014 and was a huge success. Another brilliant offensive mind hired by Mike Smith and is now having success as the HC with the Falcons.

We all have seen the effects a bad coordinator can have on a team so perhaps Mike Smith would be a good pick as a HC partly due to his talent of selecting a quality offensive staff.

Quote:  It's a legit concern.   Yet,  the terrific work that Bill O'Brien is doing with the Houston Texans is attention getting in a positive manner.

I am not so sure that his work is terrific. He has a pretty loaded roster. He has kept them afloat despite no competent QB play, but I have been hearing he could be on the hot seat depending how this season ends. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016, 08:06 PM by the Chiefjag.)

Quote:I'm still firmly in the Jon Gruden camp. I know he said he's not looking to coach again, but that's not set in stone. Money talks.
Jon Gruden isn't giving up his 3 day a week, 6 month work schedule to take a pay cut to work a high stress, guaranteed terminal, 24/7/365 job.

Regards................the Chiefjag

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016, 10:28 PM by Sosa.)

Coughlin would instantly gain us the media and the NFL's respect. Don't care about any of that, but it'd be nice to not get blasted every other month. Ya dig?

Quote:Jon Gruden isn't giving up his 3 day a week, 6 month work schedule to take a pay cut to work a high stress, guaranteed terminal, 24/7/365 job.

Regards................the Chiefjag

What about if it were a pay increase? There's a lot more prestige being an NFL coach than a commentator, and he could be the first coach in NFL history to coach two different teams to Superbowl wins.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Whoever the coach turns out to be, I just read wade Phillips is going to be a free agent after the season....would be perfect with this team and mentality for the DC

Quote:Whoever the coach turns out to be, I just read wade Phillips is going to be a free agent after the season....would be perfect with this team and mentality for the DC

Their firing him?