Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Forbes Magazine tours Shad Khan's Chicago penthouse

Someone posted this awhile back.  While it looks nice...it's just WAY too over the top for me.

Huh

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Someone posted this awhile back.  While it looks nice...it's just WAY too over the top for me.
Mea culpa for missing it.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Uh Bullseye, necro-posting is not an indicator of achieving FULL CONSISTENCY.

I think you need to work on your double chin strap pull.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:yea that would be the biggest so I can't imagine another 20 stories

I was in the CN Tower in Toronto this summer.  Its top observation spot is almost 1500 ft above the ground (its something like 147 stories).  They had a glass floor you could walk on in the lower observation deck.  I walked on it, and about passed out.  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:I was in the CN Tower in Toronto this summer.  Its top observation spot is almost 1500 ft above the ground (its something like 147 stories).  They had a glass floor you could walk on in the lower observation deck.  I walked on it, and about passed out.

I'm not gonna lie...I just about passed out reading about you walking on that!!! :blink:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I thought it would be a piece of cake, but I put one foot one it and even though my mind knew it was safe (they said each panel could hold 14 adult hippos) my entire body froze and tried to prevent me from going on it.  I eventually willed myself onto it, but my wife couldn't do it.  It was extremely intense!

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:I thought it would be a piece of cake, but I put one foot one it and even though my mind knew it was safe (they said each panel could hold 14 adult hippos) my entire body froze and tried to prevent me from going on it.  I eventually willed myself onto it, but my wife couldn't do it.  It was extremely intense!

I don't think I could have handled it either!!!!

Quote:I was in the CN Tower in Toronto this summer.  Its top observation spot is almost 1500 ft above the ground (its something like 147 stories).  They had a glass floor you could walk on in the lower observation deck.  I walked on it, and about passed out.  

I get the tight stomach just thinking about it. The only time I'm really ok with heights is when I'm strapped into a roller coaster, but it's been YEARS so that might not even be true anymore.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I don't have a problem with heights at all, and it always takes me a little by surprise just how many people have a thing about it. 

Quote:I don't have a problem with heights at all, and it always takes me a little by surprise just how many people have a thing about it. 

man I wish I could say that, I struggle to get on the roof.

Quote:I don't have a problem with heights at all, and it always takes me a little by surprise just how many people have a thing about it.

Mine isn't the issue with the heights as walking out on a clear floor over them like that!!

Quote:man I wish I could say that, I struggle to get on the roof.

It's a totally reasonable fear, and I don't really like getting on the roof either - that sucker is steep!

My dad was a small plane pilot so I probably just got used to it at an early age.

Anyway, I'm not overly fond of thunderstorms which I'm sure all Floridians would find the most hilarious thing ever.

Quote:Mine isn't the issue with the heights as walking out on a clear floor over them like that!!

No Ghostbar for you huh?

Quote:It's a totally reasonable fear, and I don't really like getting on the roof either - that sucker is steep!

My dad was a small plane pilot so I probably just got used to it at an early age.

Anyway, I'm not overly fond of thunderstorms which I'm sure all Floridians would find the most hilarious thing ever.

yeah but you braze westerners can handle earthquakes, I wouldn't know what to do if the earth started moving under me!

I actually enjoy thunderstorms. It's not smart but I sit out in front of my mobile home on my concrete patio under an aluminum roof and watch the storms and take in the power of nature. It's just fascinating to me.

I always joked with my wife in a different life with no kids or wife I'd have been a storm chaser, that would've been a great job!

Quote:yeah but you braze westerners can handle earthquakes, I wouldn't know what to do if the earth started moving under me!

I actually enjoy thunderstorms. It's not smart but I sit out in front of my mobile home on my concrete patio under an aluminum roof and watch the storms and take in the power of nature. It's just fascinating to me.

I always joked with my wife in a different life with no kids or wife I'd have been a storm chaser, that would've been a great job!

That seems pretty common, you guys are leery of earthquakes and we are terrified of hurricanes - makes sense in a way. I was actually born during an earthquake and man does my mom like to embarrass my dad with that story.

Quote:That seems pretty common, you guys are leery of earthquakes and we are terrified of hurricanes - makes sense in a way. I was actually born during an earthquake and man does my mom like to embarrass my dad with that story.

Typhoons are just another name for Hurricanes in the Pacific right? I always thought you guys got about the same amount of storms as us just called them different names.

Quote:Typhoons are just another name for Hurricanes in the Pacific right? I always thought you guys got about the same amount of storms as us just called them different names.

I don't know what we call them I've never experienced one. I'd call it a hurricane myself. I think we use "tropical storm" and "hurricane" or at least that's what our news guys refer to your eastern storms as.

I'm sure we get them out in the ocean but I think they usually hit South America - we certainly don't get them in the same way you guys do.

Quote:No Ghostbar for you huh?

Probably not!! Although I'm stubborn....so I'd probably make myself do it any way!!

Quote:That seems pretty common, you guys are leery of earthquakes and we are terrified of hurricanes - makes sense in a way. I was actually born during an earthquake and man does my mom like to embarrass my dad with that story.

You can run from a hurricane!! You don't get any warning for an earthquake!!

Quick wiki search - it looks like they rough up the bottom of the continent. And none have made it to Ca since I've been kickin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_hur...0-2005.jpg

From the same page:

there is only one recorded case of a Pacific system reaching California as a hurricane in almost 200 years of observations—the <a class="" href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1858_San_Diego_Hurricane' title="1858 San Diego Hurricane">1858 San Diego Hurricane</a>.<sup>[11]</sup>