Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NBA offseason thread

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014, 02:15 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Apparently Bennett will be flipped to the Sixers for Thad Young. Not sure severely or it will be a three team deal.

Good get for Philly since Thad was going to opt out after the year.

Yeah, I had also heard the Sixers are supposed to get another draft pick out of this as well. 

If so, good deal for the Sixers. Thad Young isn't/ wasn't part of any rebuilding. 

I still HATE the Embiid selection, though. Its been proven time and time again that its foolish to draft/ acquire big men with feet issues. It rarely works out in the end. They usually wind up as injury prone as when you acquired them.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yeah, I had also heard the Sixers are supposed to get another draft pick out of this as well. 

If so, good deal for the Sixers. Thad Young isn't/ wasn't part of any rebuilding. 

I still HATE the Embiid selection, though. Its been proven time and time again that its foolish to draft/ acquire big men with feet issues. It rarely works out in the end. They usually wind up as injury prone as when you acquired them.

Saw that too. Philly will probably have to take some of Minnesota's bad contracts to make that happen. And I'm sure they'll have no problem doing that.

Definitely fair to question the selection. But you have to have stars to win in this league. And he has the biggest chance at that in this draft. I like the risk. It was either him or Exum, who can't shoot.

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014, 02:44 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Saw that too. Philly will probably have to take some of Minnesota's bad contracts to make that happen. And I'm sure they'll have no problem doing that.

Definitely fair to question the selection. But you have to have stars to win in this league. And he has the biggest chance at that in this draft. I like the risk. It was either him or Exum, who can't shoot.

I wanted Exum and McDermott. (with the Sixers #3 & #10 selections, respectively)

Exum's a better shooter than MCW, and a quicker/ smoother player as well. Higher upside. 

I would have then traded MCW (after an Exum selection) and used the top 10 selection gained from that trade to draft someone else, preferably a 4 or a 5. (Randle?)

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014, 04:21 PM by TheSchmidt.)

Quote:I wanted Exum and McDermott. (with the Sixers #3 & #10 selections, respectively)

Exum's a better shooter than MCW, and a quicker/ smoother player as well. Higher upside.

I would have then traded MCW (after an Exum selection) and used the top 10 selection gained from that trade to draft someone else, preferably a 4 or a 5. (Randle?)
Won't argue the Exum point. Likely ends up a better player than MCW. I just wonder how true those rumors with the lakers were. Last I heard they wanted MCW and Thad or the #10 pick. Pretty steep.

McDermott would have filled a huge need for Philly, but it appears that Hinkie likes drafting lengthy athletic guys you can still mold instead of no upside guys like McDermott. Not that he isn't a good player.

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014, 04:48 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Won't argue the Exum point. Likely ends up a better player than MCW. I just wonder how true those rumors with the lakers were. Last I heard they wanted MCW and Thad or the #10 pick. Pretty steep.

McDermott would have filled a huge need for Philly, but it appears that Hinkie likes drafting lengthy athletic guys you can still mold instead of no upside guys like McDermott. Not that he isn't a good player.

Some said Manning & Luck had "no or limited upside" heading from college to the pro's as well...

I've always hated that phrase ("no upside") when it comes to talking about already very talented players as if it means anything. 

Matt Jones was said to have all the "upside" in the world...

Give me the better player, period. 

Quote:Some said Manning & Luck had "no or limited upside" heading from college to the pro's as well...

I've always hated that phrase ("no upside") when it comes to talking about already very talented players as if it means anything. 

Matt Jones was said to have all the "upside" in the world...

Give me the better player, period.

It means he is what he is, doesn't have to be taken as a bad thing. He is limited athletically, but can score from anywhere on the court. College senior who is a finished product. He may have trouble guarding in the NBA, but luckily he is on a team that can hide it.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2014, 09:34 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:Some said Manning & Luck had "no or limited upside" heading from college to the pro's as well...

We have too many people writing blogs from their basements these days.

Looks like Philly was never getting Bennett after all.

Two expirings and Miami's 2015 first isn't bad. Not sure where to peg Miami next year. Could see them finishing third in the East or 5-7

Quote:Looks like Philly was never getting Bennett after all.

Two expirings and Miami's 2015 first isn't bad. Not sure where to peg Miami next year. Could see them finishing third in the East or 5-7

It won't be a lottery pick for sure. Good deal for Minnesota.

Quote:Looks like Philly was never getting Bennett after all.

Terrible deal for Philly then. 

Quote:Terrible deal for Philly then.

It's solid, not terrible. Everybody knows Thad is opting out after the year, so they lose leverage there. And it's hard to find a team that he would be a fit on. If you look at some recent deals involving bigs, a single first round pick has been the price (Gortat and Asik).

Looks like all three teams got they wanted.

Why would anybody pay to watch the Sixers next year? It's embarrassing.

;

;

Quote:It's solid, not terrible. Everybody knows Thad is opting out after the year, so they lose leverage there. And it's hard to find a team that he would be a fit on. If you look at some recent deals involving bigs, a single first round pick has been the price (Gortat and Asik).

Looks like all three teams got they wanted.

The Sixers should have held out for Bennett. Getting Bennett would have made the deal worthwhile for the Sixers, now all they get is a mid round pick and 2 garbage players with expiring contracts. 

Quote:The Sixers should have held out for Bennett. Getting Bennett would have made the deal worthwhile for the Sixers, now all they get is a mid round pick and 2 garbage players with expiring contracts.

They would never have gotten Bennett. It would make no sense on the Wolves end. They ended up getting the going rate for players like Young if you look at recent deals. Could easily see this pick ending up in the 14-17 range, which would be gold.

People hating on the Sixers for doing this should shift that anger towards the NBA. This is how you have to field a legitimate NBA contender nowadays, unless you go the Heat route. The Sixers have been in NBA purgatory forever before the new ownership took over. Fielding just good enough teams to make the playoffs, but not good enough to do anything. And because of that, not getting a good enough draft pick to draft a star player or having the cap space to sign one. And they probably did better than most teams during that time drafting while picking in the low to mid teens. Getting quality players like Dalembert, Holiday, Young, Iggy, Vucevic.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote:They would never have gotten Bennett. It would make no sense on the Wolves end. They ended up getting the going rate for players like Young if you look at recent deals. Could easily see this pick ending up in the 14-17 range, which would be gold.

People hating on the Sixers for doing this should shift that anger towards the NBA. This is how you have to field a legitimate NBA contender nowadays, unless you go the Heat route. The Sixers have been in NBA purgatory forever before the new ownership took over. Fielding just good enough teams to make the playoffs, but not good enough to do anything. And because of that, not getting a good enough draft pick to draft a star player or having the cap space to sign one. And they probably did better than most teams during that time drafting while picking in the low to mid teens. Getting quality players like Dalembert, Holiday, Young, Iggy, Vucevic.

The way to build an NBA team is to draft injured big men?

Quote:The way to build an NBA team is to draft injured big men?

And both of them would have been the #1 pick in their respective drafts if not for the injuries. It was about getting the best talent available. Who knows how it will work out, but go big or go home.

So what's the deal with Monroe and Detroit? Why will they not sign him long term? Who will replace him when he leaves? I'm a Pistons fan but have not been following them that much the last few years but I know Monroe can ball.

Quote:So what's the deal with Monroe and Detroit? Why will they not sign him long term? Who will replace him when he leaves? I'm a Pistons fan but have not been following them that much the last few years but I know Monroe can ball.

I think Josh Smith is a way better fit at the 4. He's pretty bad at the 3 (can't shoot).

I think Detroit needs to decide between smith and Monroe. The decision, for me, is pretty easily Monroe. They may be thjnk smith at the 4 is better.

Last I heard about Monroe was that he was going to sign the qualifying offer for 1 year and then become a UFA next year. He hasn't signed it yet, but he has until October 1.

Interested to see what happens with him and Bledsoe.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM by JAXsonVIL.)

Quote:I think Josh Smith is a way better fit at the 4. He's pretty bad at the 3 (can't shoot).

I think Detroit needs to decide between smith and Monroe. The decision, for me, is pretty easily Monroe. They may be thjnk smith at the 4 is better.
This year, I Think they are gonna run

PG: Jennings

SG: KCP

SF: Smith

PF: Monroe

C: Drummond

I'm more concerned for next year. I dont think Monroe stays. I'm curious who we're gonna put at the 3 if Smith move to the 4?

And I thought Smith could shoot just fine? Didn't he play the 3 with ATL as well?