Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NBA offseason thread

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 08:40 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:So what's the deal with Monroe and Detroit? Why will they not sign him long term? Who will replace him when he leaves? I'm a Pistons fan but have not been following them that much the last few years but I know Monroe can ball.

Andre Drummond is who the Pistons need to build around. He has the potential to be elite and will deserve every bit of his max contract in a few years. You don't want to give Greg Monroe a max contract because he and Drummond play the same position. If Joe Dumars was competent, they would have traded Monroe last year. Monroe is very good and definitely an asset, but Dumars was trying to tread water and refused to throw in the white towel.

Josh Smith is a PF. When he plays PF, he is actually extremely good both defensively and offensively. When you move him to the 3, Smith becomes a below average defender and a terrible offensive player because it magnifies his biggest weakness (shot selection and 3pt shooting).

Going Forward

Stan Van Gundy has never missed the playoffs. He did a phenomenal job of taking over a bad Magic team and turning them into an Eastern Conference power. How did he do it? He built a team around an extremely gifted, freakishly athletic big man named Dwight Howard. Now, he inherits a team with an extremely gifted, freakishly athletic big man named Andre Drummond. Look for Van Gundy to model the Pistons after the Dwight Howard-era Magic. That means players with the ability to shoot at every other position on the floor. He has already done that by signing free agents that are all above average shooters (Caron Butler, D.J. Augustine, Jodie Meeks, and Cartier Martin).

The great thing is, the Pistons 2013 1st round projects to be a great shooter, so that is 1 player definitely sticking around in Van Gundy's plans. What I expect, or hope, we see happen is move Greg Monroe for a SF that can shoot and play good defense. That would maximize the potential of this team and Drummond. In the meantime, bring him off the bench as long as he is on the Qualifying Offer.

For 2014/2015 I'd like to see this rotation:

PG: Jennings / Augustine

SG: Caldwell-Pope / Meeks

SF: Singler / Butler / KCP (getting minutes at both positions)

PF: Smith / Monroe

C: Drummond / Monroe

The Pistons are still a a couple years from being contenders. The goal should be to have a perfectly built team when Drummond starts entering his prime. I don't foresee Monroe, Smith, or Jennings being part of that team. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 10:52 PM by bleedingteal.)

Well that explained my answer much better than I ever would have.

Also, agree completely on Drummond. He is a beast and is the one this team should be built around. And agree that they should trade Monroe for a 2 or 3.

bleeding, you were right that Monroe > Smith, but Smith is basically unmovable unless the Pistons show him off at the 4 for a month or two. Monroe is and has been an asset that should have been cashed in.

You follow the NBA quite a bit? Most people have no interest or care about what the pistons are doing.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 01:09 AM by JAXsonVIL.)

Quote:Andre Drummond is who the Pistons need to build around. He has the potential to be elite and will deserve every bit of his max contract in a few years. You don't want to give Greg Monroe a max contract because he and Drummond play the same position. If Joe Dumars was competent, they would have traded Monroe last year. Monroe is very good and definitely an asset, but Dumars was trying to tread water and refused to throw in the white towel.

Josh Smith is a PF. When he plays PF, he is actually extremely good both defensively and offensively. When you move him to the 3, Smith becomes a below average defender and a terrible offensive player because it magnifies his biggest weakness (shot selection and 3pt shooting).

Going Forward

Stan Van Gundy has never missed the playoffs. He did a phenomenal job of taking over a bad Magic team and turning them into an Eastern Conference power. How did he do it? He built a team around an extremely gifted, freakishly athletic big man named Dwight Howard. Now, he inherits a team with an extremely gifted, freakishly athletic big man named Andre Drummond. Look for Van Gundy to model the Pistons after the Dwight Howard-era Magic. That means players with the ability to shoot at every other position on the floor. He has already done that by signing free agents that are all above average shooters (Caron Butler, D.J. Augustine, Jodie Meeks, and Cartier Martin).

The great thing is, the Pistons 2013 1st round projects to be a great shooter, so that is 1 player definitely sticking around in Van Gundy's plans. What I expect, or hope, we see happen is move Greg Monroe for a SF that can shoot and play good defense. That would maximize the potential of this team and Drummond. In the meantime, bring him off the bench as long as he is on the Qualifying Offer.

For 2014/2015 I'd like to see this rotation:

PG: Jennings / Augustine

SG: Caldwell-Pope / Meeks

SF: Singler / Butler / KCP (getting minutes at both positions)

PF: Smith / Monroe

C: Drummond / Monroe

The Pistons are still a a couple years from being contenders. The goal should be to have a perfectly built team when Drummond starts entering his prime. I don't foresee Monroe, Smith, or Jennings being part of that team. 
Ok thanks for helping me understand. I'm trying to get back into Detroit basketball. 

And I hope jennings will still be here. I like him alot. 

He's fun to watch, but he's such a bonehead. He's never seen a shot that he didn't like, which isn't good when you are shooting under 34% from three. He's got a lot of talent, though, as does Josh Smith. Hopefully Van Gundy can turn one of them into an All-Star. Jennings is young so maybe he can mature into a team leader.

Quote:He's fun to watch, but he's such a bonehead. He's never seen a shot that he didn't like, which isn't good when you are shooting under 34% from three. He's got a lot of talent, though, as does Josh Smith. Hopefully Van Gundy can turn one of them into an All-Star. Jennings is young so maybe he can mature into a team leader.
I hope so. Him, KCP, and Drummond can be nice building blocks. 

Quote:bleeding, you were right that Monroe > Smith, but Smith is basically unmovable unless the Pistons show him off at the 4 for a month or two. Monroe is and has been an asset that should have been cashed in.

You follow the NBA quite a bit? Most people have no interest or care about what the pistons are doing.

Yeah it'd be real nice if they could ship Smith somewhere. I've never really looked at his contract but being unmovable means it's awful I'd guess. The Monroe/Drummond combo could be pretty legit though.

Love the nba and played a ton of daily fantasy so I followed every team fairly close. Pistons have a piece of my heart cuz I won some decent money when Drummond had like 20 points and 20 boards. Everyone seemed to ignore him even though he is really good.

Time to bump this again.

Anthony Davis got PAID last night with a 5 year $145 mil deal.

Quote:Time to bump this again.

Anthony Davis got PAID last night with a 5 year $145 mil deal.

Good for New Orleans. I knew he was a special talent but seeing him in person last year you realize how good he can be. Moves up and down the court like a point guard.

I'm hoping that Orlando doesn't match Harris and the Pistons can land him. With Millsap going to ORL, that is a definite possiblity.

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:I'm hoping that Orlando doesn't match Harris and the Pistons can land him. With Millsap going to ORL, that is a definite possiblity.
I don't think they will. Harris and Skiles have a past, and they don't like each other. I hope I am wrong, he's very good and just starting to scratch the surface of his talent level.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I don't think they will. Harris and Skiles have a past, and they don't like each other. I hope I am wrong, he's very good and just starting to scratch the surface of his talent level.

I hope you're right.

I seriously hope Orlando lands Millsap and matches whatever Tobias is offered. Then sign a vet PG (maybe bring Jameer back) and you got a good looking team.

Payton/Nelson/Harvey

Oladipo/Fournier/Marble

Harris/Hezonja/Harkless

Millsap/Gordon/Nicholson

Vucevic/Dedmon/Frye

Quote:I seriously hope Orlando lands Millsap and matches whatever Tobias is offered. Then sign a vet PG (maybe bring Jameer back) and you got a good looking team.

Payton/Nelson/Harvey

Oladipo/Fournier/Marble

Harris/Hezonja/Harkless

Millsap/Gordon/Nicholson

Vucevic/Dedmon/Frye
No to Jameer, but like the rest, and the PG idea. 

;

Millsap back with Hawks

Quote:Millsap back with Hawks

Yup. Now if I'm Orlando I would go HARD after Draymond Green and my fallback would be trading for Terrence Jones who is supposedly on the block.

Quote:Millsap back with Hawks
yeah that sucks

Hinkie strikes again

Gets Nick Stauskas, a future protected first round pick in probably 2018 or 2019 since they owe one to Chicago and the rights to swap first round picks in two drafts all for taking on the contracts of Jason Thompson and Carl Landry

Bucks get Greg Monroe. If Parker if healthy, they are putting together a very good team in Milwaukee.

;

;

Quote:I hope you're right.
I'm happy. Magic extend Harris. Four years, $64 million.
;