Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BigCatCountry continues to try and prop up Alualu as a solid player

Quote:The article is trying to paint him a solid player and a good backup. That is what I would consider Rob Meier. Alualu is nowhere near the player that Meier was.

I agree. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

overdrafted or not... a drafted player that contributes on gameday is valued.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 12:49 PM by InmanRoshi.)

He's basically the Jags version of Tony McDaniel.  He's fine. Not great, but a solid contributor to a defensive front unit.    He'll play 5 tech, control 2 gaps and allow the LEO to overshift.  He can fill in as a 3 tech in a pinch if you suffer some in game injuries.   He should have been drafted by a 3-4 team and played 5 tech from day one.  

During OTAs of last year, (in May 2013) Gus moved Tyson from DT to DE.

He played in all 16 games with 33 tackles, 9 asst, 1.5 sacks, and 1 PD.

The leading DE (solo tackles) O.Vernon (miami) had only 46 tackles

The leading DE (Sacks) Robert Quinn (STL) had 19 sacks which is really want you want from DE (sacks that is) at 1.5 Tyson is tied with several players (many, many players) at #246 ranked with the 1.5 sacks.

----------------------------------

How do you guage how great of a run blocker he is I guess you look at rushing yards in his direction against the Jaguars while he was playing?

Quote:During OTAs of last year, (in May 2013) Gus moved Tyson from DT to DE.

He played in all 16 games with 33 tackles, 9 asst, 1.5 sacks, and 1 PD.

The leading DE (solo tackles) O.Vernon (miami) had only 46 tackles

The leading DE (Sacks) Robert Quinn (STL) had 19 sacks which is really want you want from DE (sacks that is) at 1.5 Tyson is tied with several players (many, many players) at #246 ranked with the 1.5 sacks.

----------------------------------

How do you guage how great of a run blocker he is I guess you look at rushing yards in his direction against the Jaguars while he was playing?

Comparing a DE who is playing 5 tech to a DE who is playing an exaggerated 9 tech is pretty ridiculous.  

Alualu is a total bust.  He is invisible most game days and has failed to live up to even a 2nd round talent.  I would not be shocked if he gets beaten out by an UFA.  The guy is not a good football player.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:People want to attack people that think Alualu is an ok player as if they are saying he is a pro bowler and deserves a 60 million dollar contract.  Nowhere in the BCC article or where I've posted even hints at that.

Most people that talk about his play are saying that he isn't as bad as most people put on him.

Exactly.  They will blast anyone who doesn't break out the pitchforks to talk about Alualu.  He has never lived up to his draft status, but I think at this point that's completely irrelevant.  Jack Del Rio broke the guy in his very first practice with the team, and he's never been capable of coming close to what they expected because of that.  To this day, he has never been able to trust that knee. 

I did find this bit of "journalism" from Alfie to be suspect:

Quote:It didn't help that Alualu had micro-fracture surgery on his knee, which is typically a death knell for an offensive lineman.

Since Alualu isn't an offensive lineman, what's his point here?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:...
I did find this bit of "journalism" from Alfie to be suspect:

Since Alualu isn't an offensive lineman, what's his point here?

That he could use an editor?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Since Alualu isn't an offensive lineman, what's his point here?

He gets so mad when people point them out too.

Quote:Alualu is a total bust.  He is invisible most game days and has failed to live up to even a 2nd round talent.  I would not be shocked if he gets beaten out by an UFA.  The guy is not a good football player.

This is exactly the kind of post that is funny to me.  He has started all 64 games of his career, even if its on a bad team, thats pretty impressive.  The guy has had knee issues the past couple years, and continues to play through them.  Again, just because the guy doesn't make 12 sacks (his position doesn't really give him that opportunity, not that he could anyway) does not make him a bust.

Quote:This is exactly the kind of post that is funny to me.  He has started all 64 games of his career, even if its on a bad team, thats pretty impressive.  The guy has had knee issues the past couple years, and continues to play through them.  Again, just because the guy doesn't make 12 sacks (his position doesn't really give him that opportunity, not that he could anyway) does not make him a bust.
You find it funny that we have a player that has done almost squat in his whole time here.  It's sad that he has started all 64 games but that speaks for the lack of talent on this ball club.  You can find 4th and 5th round guys in any given draft that have the same kind of production alualu has had.  The guy is a bust.  It's not his fault he was taken 10th overall but my god, he is invisible on game day.

I don't find it funny at all, I find it sad and pathetic

Quote:You find it funny that we have a player that has done almost squat in his whole time here.  It's sad that he has started all 64 games but that speaks for the lack of talent on this ball club.  You can find 4th and 5th round guys in any given draft that have the same kind of production alualu has had.  The guy is a bust.  It's not his fault he was taken 10th overall but my god, he is invisible on game day.

I don't find it funny at all, I find it sad and pathetic

I think your definition of a bust is wrong.  R Jay Soward was a bust, Matt Jones, Hugh Douglas, etc....at least Alualu has played 5 years and has put his heart out there for the team.

Quote:I think your definition of a bust is wrong.  R Jay Soward was a bust, Matt Jones, Hugh Douglas, etc....at least Alualu has played 5 years and has put his heart out there for the team.
A bust can be had from several different scenarios.  It's not just the druggies and the washouts.  Lack of production and not getting value also defines a bust.

I don't know if he has played his heart out and neither do you, his effort is irrelevant.  The guy simply has not produced.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 02:35 PM by trunt87.)

Quote:I think your definition of a bust is wrong.  R Jay Soward was a bust, Matt Jones, Hugh Douglas, etc....at least Alualu has played 5 years and has put his heart out there for the team.

You could honestly say that Matt Jones had a better career than Alualu. 

But yet you don't hear people saying....

Matt Jones had to switch positions, Matt Jones didn't draft himself there. 

Quote:You could honestly say that Matt Jones had a better career than Alualu. 

But yet you don't hear people saying....

Matt Jones had to switch positions, Matt Jones didn't draft himself there. 

You could say that Matt Jones had a better career than Alualu? Hahahahaha....end of discussion.

You pointing out Matt Jones didn't draft himself there is the same reason people are ripping Alualu.

Quote:I think he started last year for the same reason guys like Nwaneri, Russell Allen and Dwight Lowery started.

... but those players have since been replaced at various points over the last couple seasons by different coaches. Alualu is still looking at playing time. Before you jump to conclusions, I suspect that Alualu will play out his contract, and the front office won't likely attempt resigning him. He's an OK player that isn't worth his draft position or salary. He isn't, however, a bad DT.

We've had great DTs here in Jacksonville, and I think everyone agrees that Alualu isn't great by any means. We've had some bad DTs too. Alualu is smack dab in the middle of that.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 02:49 PM by trunt87.)

Quote:You could say that Matt Jones had a better career than Alualu? Hahahahaha....end of discussion.

You pointing out Matt Jones didn't draft himself there is the same reason people are ripping Alualu.

What has Alualu done?  End of discussion.  He is horrible.  Just because he is a better guy than Matt Jones doesn't mean he is not a complete bust. 

I think Matt Jones is a bust.  22nd pick or not.  I also think Alualu is a bust.  Sorry but he is.  Alualu averages a whopping 2 TFL per season.  And he is supposed to be stout against the run?  What a joke. 

Quote:What has Alualu done? End of discussion. He is horrible. Just because he is a better guy than Matt Jones doesn't mean he is not a complete bust.

I think Matt Jones is a bust. 22nd pick or not. I also think Alualu is a bust. Sorry but he is. Alualu averages a whopping 2 TFL per season. And he is supposed to be stout against the run? What a joke.

What do you mean, "what has he done?" Everyone is saying that he wasn't worth his draft spot. In consideration to where he was drafted, I think most people agree with you. As for a moderately-skilled DT, I think he's about what you expect from a very average player.

Quote:What has Alualu done?  End of discussion.  He is horrible.  Just because he is a better guy than Matt Jones doesn't mean he is not a complete bust. 

I think Matt Jones is a bust.  22nd pick or not.  I also think Alualu is a bust.  Sorry but he is.  Alualu averages a whopping 2 TFL per season.  And he is supposed to be stout against the run?  What a joke. 

Anyone that starts 5 years in the league is not a bust, period.  The guy has put in solid minutes for an NFL team.  If he were on another team, he would be a back up....but he's not.

A bust would have been cut in year 2 or 3....he keeps plugging along, and he won't be cut this year either.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 03:01 PM by trunt87.)

Quote:Anyone that starts 5 years in the league is not a bust, period.  The guy has put in solid minutes for an NFL team.  If he were on another team, he would be a back up....but he's not.

A bust would have been cut in year 2 or 3....he keeps plugging along, and he won't be cut this year either.

Is that a fact?  Did you just make that up?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...llRe00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...rrDa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...neMa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...ndTo20.htm