Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BigCatCountry continues to try and prop up Alualu as a solid player

Quote:Is that a fact?  Did you just make that up?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...llRe00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...rrDa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...neMa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/pl...ndTo20.htm

Lol, exceptions to ever rule.  My opinion is that while he isn't a world beater, Alualu can at least hold his position.  There have been weaker spots on the Jags D than Alualu.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Never take anything Alfie writes or posts seriously.  Back in 2007 Alfie was posting on here saying how much better Leftwich was than Garrard and how this team is going to regret cutting Leftwich.  Alfie doesn't change his opinion even though the facts continue to pile up against him.

Quote:Never take anything Alfie writes or posts seriously.  Back in 2007 Alfie was posting on here saying how much better Leftwich was than Garrard and how this team is going to regret cutting Leftwich.  Alfie doesn't change his opinion even though the facts continue to pile up against him.

I do agree with this.  That guy will live and die by his opinion, and even when proven wrong he will spin it.  Shockingly, I lean towards his point of view here....but again, Alfie isn't saying he is a stud.

Bust or not, I respect the man as a player. 

And I hate how some of these fans talk about players on their supposed favorite team. Try being supportive once in a while, rather than tossing horrid insults around like dirty socks. 

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 04:52 PM by Joe.)

Quote:1. He was a defensive tackle prior to this year. As a DE, he is too slow.

2. Just because a defense is bad at run stopping doesn't mean it is one players fault. I've watched him and while he doesn't man handle anyone, he does a decent job at holding his position, which in most defenses that is what a DT is supposed to do.

3. He is a hard working, tough nosed player. Coaches like Bradley love that. You dont think Caldwell would have purged Alualu like the rest of the Gene Smith castoffs? lol

Wow...

He was a DT prior to last year... and that matters why?

So not only does Alualu get pushed around with a heavy DE frame, he is also too slow. Not a great start for your debate.

His position was upgraded IMMEDIATELY once the off season started. He played so well last year, he was practically benched for Red Bryant before Bryant was even a Jaguar.

Quote:Bust or not, I respect the man as a player. 

And I hate how some of these fans talk about players on their supposed favorite team. Try being supportive once in a while, rather than tossing horrid insults around like dirty socks. 

Most people here wouldn't know good football unless a guy gets 12 sacks a year.  They don't see it on the stat line so he automatically is a bust.

Quote:Most people here wouldn't know good football unless a guy gets 12 sacks a year.  They don't see it on the stat line so he automatically is a bust.

I wish more people would appreciate how challenging the game of football is. And how team oriented it really is.

Quote:Most people here wouldn't know good football unless a guy gets 12 sacks a year.  They don't see it on the stat line so he automatically is a bust.

Well, most would, but there are some who would give credit for those sacks to the scheme and not to the player. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:... but those players have since been replaced at various points over the last couple seasons by different coaches. Alualu is still looking at playing time. Before you jump to conclusions, I suspect that Alualu will play out his contract, and the front office won't likely attempt resigning him. He's an OK player that isn't worth his draft position or salary. He isn't, however, a bad DT.

We've had great DTs here in Jacksonville, and I think everyone agrees that Alualu isn't great by any means. We've had some bad DTs too. Alualu is smack dab in the middle of that.

Alualu was a starter because Gene Smith drafted him and Gene Smith made sure there was no DT on the roster to beat him out. Last year he was moved to DE, and one again there was no better alternative. In his play he's been about equal to Derek Landri. Gene cut Landri and then spent a 1st round pick on the same player.

Player's like Alualu change teams rather frequently, and when you draft such a player instead of just picking one up as a street free agent the you've wasted a draft pick. If he's not a bust merely because he managed to stay on the field ... well that's a rather generous take on it.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Here were the majority of fans reactions when Alualu's name was called on draft day

[Image: Jagsfan.jpg]

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Well, most would, but there are some who would give credit for those sacks to the scheme and not to the player. 

They'll say whatever it takes for them to feel like they're right.

Just wondering... where did anyone say Alualu was supposed to get sacks? This whole thread has been about his ability to stop the run.

No I get it, play the " im smarter than everyone " card... I think he sucks, and that must be because I think hes supposed to ger double digit sacks. Not because I actually WATCH him against the run.

He wouldn't start on most teams if any. He is a decent player to have come off the bench

Quote:Just wondering... where did anyone say Alualu was supposed to get sacks? This whole thread has been about his ability to stop the run.

No I get it, play the " im smarter than everyone " card... I think he sucks, and that must be because I think hes supposed to ger double digit sacks. Not because I actually WATCH him against the run.

Calm down. Notice I haven't thrown any names out there, but yes, Alualu's run stopping game was weak at the beginning of the season. The transition from DT to DE apparently took a while for him to get the hang of. 

http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/f...ds-jaguars

The "solid in the run game," argument is given credence by Gus Bradley, so I'll definitely take his word for it over say, yours.

As for the Red Bryant pick up, obviously it was a good signing. That doesn't mean Tyson Alualu "sucks," as you so eloquently put it, it means they're strengthening the D-Line from a depth stand-point. Is Alualu's starting streak likely over? Yes, but does this mean he will be looked at as a liability? Of course not. Gus Bradley plans on getting a rotation between Bryant and Alualu to keep the defensive line fresh. 

http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/f...-be-facing

This isn't an insult, it's simply improvement. My opinion on Alualu? He's a good role player who was forced to play in roles with bigger shoes than he could fill. He's played on an atrocious defense his whole career. No, I don't think he was drafted correctly. His play is something you'd expect of a 2nd/3rd/4th rounder. But I admire his durability and never quit attitude. 

The fact that Alualu was not cut from the team like other former regime players is a testament to that. No stretches here. Alualu's performed subpar to where he was drafted, but he isn't a bad player. 

All I'm concerned about is how Alualu's name is undeservedly dragged through mud around here.

He's a good backup/depth. Not a starter. I had higher expectations for him when he switched positions. 

He's definitely not as bad as some make him out to be on here, though. 

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2014, 02:24 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

He looked better playing DT and that isn't saying much. His play seemed to regress after having promising moments as a rookie probably due to injury but I don't see him sticking around for much longer. Maybe as depth but not starting. 

No pain, no gain.

Stroud and Henderson never got 12 sacks in a year, and I doubt you could find anyone who would say either was a bust for the Jaguars.

Alualu was a bad pick for this team.

He was never a good pass rusher for this team, even though Smith indicated you can rush the passer from the inside of the line in one of his justifications for Alualu.

He was never really a dominant or even good run stuffer. 

On a better team, he'd be a rotational guy you bring in to give the starter a breather-at best.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Calm down. Notice I haven't thrown any names out there, but yes, Alualu's run stopping game was weak at the beginning of the season. The transition from DT to DE apparently took a while for him to get the hang of. 

http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/f...ds-jaguars

The "solid in the run game," argument is given credence by Gus Bradley, so I'll definitely take his word for it over say, yours.

As for the Red Bryant pick up, obviously it was a good signing. That doesn't mean Tyson Alualu "sucks," as you so eloquently put it, it means they're strengthening the D-Line from a depth stand-point. Is Alualu's starting streak likely over? Yes, but does this mean he will be looked at as a liability? Of course not. Gus Bradley plans on getting a rotation between Bryant and Alualu to keep the defensive line fresh. 

http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/f...-be-facing

This isn't an insult, it's simply improvement. My opinion on Alualu? He's a good role player who was forced to play in roles with bigger shoes than he could fill. He's played on an atrocious defense his whole career. No, I don't think he was drafted correctly. His play is something you'd expect of a 2nd/3rd/4th rounder. But I admire his durability and never quit attitude. 

The fact that Alualu was not cut from the team like other former regime players is a testament to that. No stretches here. Alualu's performed subpar to where he was drafted, but he isn't a bad player. 

All I'm concerned about is how Alualu's name is undeservedly dragged through mud around here.
What would you expect Bradley to say?

The team was a bad team.  How would it be consistent with himself to be brutally honest about some of the guys he had starting last year?

What does it gain Bradley to publicly trash the team and the players on it?

You say Alualu played on bad defenses his whole career.

What did Alualu EVER do to make this defense better?  What game changing plays has he ever made since he's been here?  What matchup problems has he posed for opponents?  He was the TENTH (10th) overall pick that year.  Earl Thomas was chosen circa 14th and he helped transform the Seahawks into a championship caliber defense.

You don't draft "role players" and "depth" 10th overall.

If you applied the explanation "He's a good role player who was forced to play in roles with bigger shoes than he could fill" to  Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, or Derrick Harvey, laughter and sarcasm would be common responses.

Nobody hesitates to call those guys busts.

Nobody rushes to defend these guys for poor performance relative to draft position.

Why is Alualu being treated differently?

Quote:... but those players have since been replaced at various points over the last couple seasons by different coaches. Alualu is still looking at playing time. Before you jump to conclusions, I suspect that Alualu will play out his contract, and the front office won't likely attempt resigning him. He's an OK player that isn't worth his draft position or salary. He isn't, however, a bad DT.

We've had great DTs here in Jacksonville, and I think everyone agrees that Alualu isn't great by any means. We've had some bad DTs too. Alualu is smack dab in the middle of that.
Where would you rank Alualu in terms of DTs in team history?

He is definitely behind

1.  Stroud

2.  Henderson

3.  Walker

4.  Payne

5.  Meier

6.  Grady Jackson

7.  John Jurkovic

and you can argue he ranks behind

8.  Don Davey

9. Kelvin Pritchett

He's a backup this year, that will be used in rotation to keep Bryant fresh.  Finally, he's in a better role....a backup one.