Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BigCatCountry continues to try and prop up Alualu as a solid player

Quote:Where would you rank Alualu in terms of DTs in team history?

He is definitely behind

1.  Stroud

2.  Henderson

3.  Walker

4.  Payne

5.  Meier

6.  Grady Jackson

7.  John Jurkovic

and you can argue he ranks behind

8.  Don Davey

9. Kelvin Pritchett

I think you could add Marks to the first list, even after one year. I think he belongs with Davey and Pritchett as you mentioned. The worst starters the team has had.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think you could add Marks to the first list, even after one year. I think he belongs with Davey and Pritchett as you mentioned. The worst starters the team has had.
Forgot all about Marks somehow.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Calm down. Notice I haven't thrown any names out there, but yes, Alualu's run stopping game was weak at the beginning of the season. The transition from DT to DE apparently took a while for him to get the hang of.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2013-12-10/story/tyson-alualus-move-paying-dividends-jaguars'>http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2013-12-10/story/tyson-alualus-move-paying-dividends-jaguars</a>

The "solid in the run game," argument is given credence by Gus Bradley, so I'll definitely take his word for it over say, yours.

As for the Red Bryant pick up, obviously it was a good signing. That doesn't mean Tyson Alualu "sucks," as you so eloquently put it, it means they're strengthening the D-Line from a depth stand-point. Is Alualu's starting streak likely over? Yes, but does this mean he will be looked at as a liability? Of course not. Gus Bradley plans on getting a rotation between Bryant and Alualu to keep the defensive line fresh.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-04-25/story/returning-veteran-defensive-end-tyson-alualu-may-be-facing'>http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-04-25/story/returning-veteran-defensive-end-tyson-alualu-may-be-facing</a>

This isn't an insult, it's simply improvement. My opinion on Alualu? He's a good role player who was forced to play in roles with bigger shoes than he could fill. He's played on an atrocious defense his whole career. No, I don't think he was drafted correctly. His play is something you'd expect of a 2nd/3rd/4th rounder. But I admire his durability and never quit attitude.

The fact that Alualu was not cut from the team like other former regime players is a testament to that. No stretches here. Alualu's performed subpar to where he was drafted, but he isn't a bad player.

All I'm concerned about is how Alualu's name is undeservedly dragged through mud around here.

Lol Gus Bradley also used to say Uche was good against the run as well.

Better yet, can you recall Gus saying anything bad about anyone?

Quote:What would you expect Bradley to say? The team was a bad team.  How would it be consistent with himself to be brutally honest about some of the guys he had starting last year?
For one, the stats back up what Bradley was saying.  He was pretty honest about a lot of guys. Like Denard and Gabbert. Also, he has never hesitated to point out players weak spots. Did you see his interview on Storm Johnson? He was quite honest about what he wanted from him and what his weaknesses were.

I'd like you to show me an instance of Gus lying about a player in an interview, because you seem to be under the impression that Gus was not telling the truth, even though I've yet to see an instance of him straight up lying about a player. 

Quote:What does it gain Bradley to publicly trash the team and the players on it?

Genuine honesty? He doesn't hesitate to point out deficiencies, but he's always polite and tactful about it. That's one of the most admirable things about him. You assume that pointing out weakness means that he's "trashing" a player, when that's simply not the case.

Quote:You say Alualu played on bad defenses his whole career.

What did Alualu EVER do to make this defense better?  

Did you not read the part of my post where I said he hasn't produced at the level to where he was picked? Goodness, you put up a defense for a player and people automatically think you're touting said player as the next big thing, even though you specifically said you weren't. Please re-read my post, yes he has played on bad defenses, and yes he has been a part of it.

Quote:What matchup problems has he posed for opponents?  He was the TENTH (10th) overall pick that year.  Earl Thomas was chosen circa 14th and he helped transform the Seahawks into a championship caliber defense. You don't draft "role players" and "depth" 10th overall.

Uhhh thanks for the lesson I guess, it's not like I said he wasn't worth the 10th selection in the post you quoted or anything.

Quote:If you applied the explanation "He's a good role player who was forced to play in roles with bigger shoes than he could fill" to  Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, or Derrick Harvey, laughter and sarcasm would be common responses.

Nobody hesitates to call those guys busts.

Nobody rushes to defend these guys for poor performance relative to draft position.

Why is Alualu being treated differently?

What, you want me to insult the guy? I've already said he wasn't worth his pick, so I don't know what more you want me to say. Maybe re-read what you're quoting before asking redundant questions I've already answered.

I've already said why I'm defending Alualu.

Also, I'm laughing out loud in your list putting Grady Jackson ahead of Alualu. Grady Jackson was a very good player in his prime, but he played in Jacksonville for half a season where he had a pittance of playing time. John Jurkovic is a major reach also. 

Quote:Lol Gus Bradley also used to say Uche was good against the run as well.

Better yet, can you recall Gus saying anything bad about anyone?

Pretty sure Uche plays offense.

And Gabbert, D-Rob, Storm Johnson. He's positive, but he points out player weaknesses and things they need to work on quite often. That's kind of his schtick actually.

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2014, 09:33 AM by Joe.)

Quote:Pretty sure Uche plays offense.

And Gabbert, D-Rob, Storm Johnson. He's positive, but he points out player weaknesses and things they need to work on quite often. That's kind of his schtick actually.
Because Offense/ Defense matters in this conversation.

Gus Bradley started Gabbert at the beggining of the season and later sat him for Henne. Of course he was going to say as to why. Denard was a late round rookie former QB, coaches are always going to talk about that kind of player needing to improve, along with a 7th round draft pick, ala Storm Johnson.

Go by what Gus Bradley says. Ill go by what I see. Name a game changing play Alualu had last season.

Heres where you say... " a 5 tech doesnt make game changing plays! "

Watch Red Bryant's tape and tell me he doesnt make 100% more of an impact than Alualu's " holding the point " lame excuse.

Quote:Because Offense/ Defense matters in this conversation.

Gus Bradley started Gabbert at the beggining of the season and later sat him for Henne. Of course he was going to say as to why. Denard was a late round rookie former QB, coaches are always going to talk about that kind of player needing to improve, along with a 7th round draft pick, ala Storm Johnson.

Go by what Gus Bradley says. Ill go by what I see. Name a game changing play Alualu had last season.

Heres where you say... " a 5 tech doesnt make game changing plays! "

Watch Red Bryant's tape and tell me he doesnt make 100% more of an impact than Alualu's " holding the point " lame excuse.

I love how you have made trashing Alualu your life's work.

It amuses me.

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2014, 10:27 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:I love how you have made trashing Alualu your life's work.

It amuses me.
Like seriously. I only see him come out to post when there's an Alualu thread.

He was the main one screaming last year that Alualu would be cut.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Alualu is a solid player.

Just not worth a first round pick.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:For one, the stats back up what Bradley was saying.  He was pretty honest about a lot of guys. Like Denard and Gabbert. Also, he has never hesitated to point out players weak spots. Did you see his interview on Storm Johnson? He was quite honest about what he wanted from him and what his weaknesses were.

I'd like you to show me an instance of Gus lying about a player in an interview, because you seem to be under the impression that Gus was not telling the truth, even though I've yet to see an instance of him straight up lying about a player. 

Genuine honesty? He doesn't hesitate to point out deficiencies, but he's always polite and tactful about it. That's one of the most admirable things about him. You assume that pointing out weakness means that he's "trashing" a player, when that's simply not the case.

Did you not read the part of my post where I said he hasn't produced at the level to where he was picked? Goodness, you put up a defense for a player and people automatically think you're touting said player as the next big thing, even though you specifically said you weren't. Please re-read my post, yes he has played on bad defenses, and yes he has been a part of it.

Uhhh thanks for the lesson I guess, it's not like I said he wasn't worth the 10th selection in the post you quoted or anything.

What, you want me to insult the guy? I've already said he wasn't worth his pick, so I don't know what more you want me to say. Maybe re-read what you're quoting before asking redundant questions I've already answered.

I've already said why I'm defending Alualu.

Also, I'm laughing out loud in your list putting Grady Jackson ahead of Alualu. Grady Jackson was a very good player in his prime, but he played in Jacksonville for half a season where he had a pittance of playing time. John Jurkovic is a major reach also. 
 Grady Jackson-even at the late stage in his career-provided much more in terms of run defense than Alualu ever dreamed.  Even at that late stage in his career, he was very difficult to move out in the running game.  Nobody could ever really say that about Alualu.  Jurkovic was also a better run stuffer too.  Alualu has been useless to this team.  Laugh all you want, but if you had to put together a DL to stop an inside running play, of the three players in this portion of the discussion, Alualu is the 3rd choice.

Regarding Bradley's honesty/failure to trash, it's entirely possible he was asked specifically about Storm Johnson's weaknesses, but not asked about Alualu's. 

Quote: Alualu has been useless to this team.

I see no evidence of that whatsoever.  Dislike a player (even if solely based on the selection) all you like, but let's not be dishonest in the process.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I wouldn't say he has been useless. But he is easily replacable.

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2014, 11:16 AM by Joe.)

Quote:I love how you have made trashing Alualu your life's work.

It amuses me.

Quote:Like seriously. I only see him come out to post when there's an Alualu thread.

He was the main one screaming last year that Alualu would be cut.
Great arguments. Its the dead zone, there isnt alot to talk about.

BTW i never said he would be cut last year. I said he wouldbe kept because of no better option, and ultimately play bad enough to be replaced in the offseason.

Weird how things turn out.

Quote:I wouldn't say he has been useless. But he is easily replacable.

^This.

When you could be replaced by a street free agent with no drop in quality of play, you may not be useless but you sure aren't an asset.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:^This.

When you could be replaced by a street free agent with no drop in quality of play, you may not be useless but you sure aren't an asset.
Red Bryant is a street free agent? 

They went out and got someone better at the position, and Alualu is where he should be...a back up.

Quote:Forgot all about Marks somehow.

I'd put Knighton ahead of Alualu too. Their roles were different but Knighton was better at his.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Red Bryant is a street free agent? 

They went out and got someone better at the position, and Alualu is where he should be...a back up.

Red Bryant is better, but the Jags didn't need to sign someone that good to EQUAL Alualu's level of play. There was no drop off in 2011 when Alualu was resting and the Jags had some decent street free agents to back him up.

Quote:Red Bryant is a street free agent? 

Well, technically...yes. But I know what you mean.

To be honest though, if Abry Jones plays well in camp and the preseason, he could become the primary backup to Bryant. And Alualu could easily be gone.

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:I'd put Knighton ahead of Alualu too. Their roles were different but Knighton was better at his.
Forgot about him too.

Knighton, at times, looked like he could be dominant.

I never got that impression from Alualu.

Quote:I see no evidence of that whatsoever.  Dislike a player (even if solely based on the selection) all you like, but let's not be dishonest in the process.
Well what's he done?

I'm not being dishonest here.

What positive difference has he made?