Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could Jacksonville support a pro baseball team?

Quote:Baseball is boring.

Disagree

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Disagree
nothing better than a great pitching duel IMO.

Quote:Baseball is boring.

Right?!?!

I hate it when they go for par and pull the goalie. It's like "you didn't even score a touchdown there!"

Of course, I guess I really don't care all that much since if there are no Free Throws, then why should I even bother?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:nothing better than a great pitching duel IMO.

Yup

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I think basketball would happen before baseball, and it looks like we are a far cry away from being ready for that.

Quote:I'd guess that amount of attendance is not profitable enough. 

Around 40,000 would be the minimum capacity in baseball. 

Besides the fact that 2 of the top 5 MLB ballparks have a sub 40,000 capacity...

PNC Park: 38,362

Fenway Park: 37,499

Quote:Besides the fact that 2 of the top 5 MLB ballparks have a sub 40,000 capacity...

PNC Park: 38,362

Fenway Park: 37,499

"around"...

I believe Fenway also has the highest ticket prices because it is so small.

If the Red Sox had their way, they'd build a modern park with all the bells and whistles and 45-50k seats.. But they would never be allowed to leave Fenway.

Seeing how most of the hype for our minor league team comes from a dollar beer promotion... Idk how a major league team would do... Unless they kept the dollar beer thing lol

Quote:Seeing how most of the hype for our minor league team comes from a dollar beer promotion... Idk how a major league team would do... Unless they kept the dollar beer thing lol

I thought it was "midget wrestling with special Lee Greenwood concert and fireworks right after the game" night.

And Jacksonville already supports the largest pro baseball team it can accommodate.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

if Tampa and Miami can do it.... although we all know nobody goes to their games.

Quote:I thought it was "midget wrestling with special Lee Greenwood concert and fireworks right after the game" night.

And Jacksonville already supports the largest pro baseball team it can accommodate.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! When did they do midget wrestling?... They should have promoted that better... I would have payed more for that than i would have a suns game.

Quote:WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! When did they do midget wrestling?... They should have promoted that better... I would have payed more for that than i would have a suns game.

It's next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: icon_ticket.gif] Fri, Jul 18 Blue Wahoos Blood Drive at Bragan Field The Blood Alliance   Friday Family Fireworks NAPA AutoCare Center Dealers   Leprechaun World Wrestling Championships     St. Patrick's Day in July FOX30, 96.9 The Eagle

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

BTW....minor league baseball is 'pro' baseball.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:BTW....minor league baseball is 'pro' baseball.

And 2A ball is arguably the best minor league baseball you can have. 

The Suns do a great job of making the games as entertaining as possible. 

Quote:It's next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.etix.com/ticket/online/performanceSearch.jsp?performance_id=1799048&cobrand=jaxsuns'>[Image: icon_ticket.gif]</a> Fri, Jul 18 Blue Wahoos <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.milb.com/promotions/index.jsp?sid=t564#July'>Blood Drive at Bragan Field</a> The Blood Alliance   <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.milb.com/promotions/index.jsp?sid=t564#July'>Friday Family Fireworks</a> NAPA AutoCare Center Dealers   <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.milb.com/promotions/index.jsp?sid=t564#July'>Leprechaun World Wrestling Championships</a>     <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.milb.com/promotions/index.jsp?sid=t564#July'>St. Patrick's Day in July</a> FOX30, 96.9 The Eagle
That is going to be awesome.... Hopefuly they wrestle for the lucky charms belt.

I think the Armada (soccer) will be successful and eventually become a mls team. I could actually see either a hockey or NBA team have some potential to succeed here in Jax but I doubt either of those would ever happen.

No to baseball. I don't think there is enough money in town. Baseball is expensive.

Quote:And 2A ball is arguably the best minor league baseball you can have.

There have sure been some great players on the Suns.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:There have sure been some great players on the Suns.

Yup.  Going way back.

When the Suns were in the Mets farm system, Tom Seaver and Tug McGraw were both on the pitching staff.  This is going back to the late 60's.  My family owned a couple of car dealerships downtown.  One of them was an AMC dealership.  Seaver and McGraw showed up in the doorway to my dad's office offering to "advertise" for him if he would let them "borrow" the brand new AMX that was sitting on the showroom floor.  My dad had a good laugh, told them he had a Rambler American they were welcome to drive around promoting his dealership.  They politely declined. 

There's a legendary story that comes up on the radio every once in a while from when Randy Johnson was here.  Apparently, after he was done pitching in a game down at Wolfson Park, he walked home across the Matthews Bridge to his apartment in Arlington. 

Hundreds of great players have come through Jacksonville at one time or another.  Nolan Ryan and Phil NIekro even spent a brief stint here.  Andres Galaraga, A-Rod, and a quite a few others came through here as well. 

Heck, Hank Aaron actually played here for the Jacksonville Braves back in the early 50's. 

Quote:And 2A ball is arguably the best minor league baseball you can have. 

Not "arguably", its the truth. 

AA is the best because its filled with ascending stars and not cluttered with AAAA players and has beens.