Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Let's go California Chrome!

Here's hoping California Chrome wins the Triple Crown today.  As a Kentuckian, I'm hoping this California horse wins it all.  For all those uninitiated with California, the Central Valley represents the farmers, ranchers, and blue collar salt-of-the-earth folks not typically associated with the state.  This horse is a great story.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

That horsee good. 

Quote:Here's hoping California Chrome wins the Triple Crown today.  As a Kentuckian, I'm hoping this California horse wins it all.  For all those uninitiated with California, the Central Valley represents the farmers, ranchers, and blue collar salt-of-the-earth folks not typically associated with the state.  This horse is a great story.

The horse is a great story in a time when the sport really needs one. 

When I was a kid, I had an opportunity to go to Belmont with my grandfather.  I was a little kid, but I still remember going to see Secretariat run.  I was 5 or 6 years old.  My grandfather used to go to Belmont all the time because he loved the horses, and where they lived was 20 minutes from the track.  I still have pictures with my grandfather, my dad, and my brothers at the track.  In one of them, Secretariat is in the background as they were walking the horses out of the paddock for the race.  Pretty cool. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:The horse is a great story in a time when the sport really needs one. 

When I was a kid, I had an opportunity to go to Belmont with my grandfather.  I was a little kid, but I still remember going to see Secretariat run.  I was 5 or 6 years old.  My grandfather used to go to Belmont all the time because he loved the horses, and where they lived was 20 minutes from the track.  I still have pictures with my grandfather, my dad, and my brothers at the track.  In one of them, Secretariat is in the background as they were walking the horses out of the paddock for the race.  Pretty cool. 

That is a cool story and one to keep alive with your children.  

I don't know if they still do it, but Andy Frain used select one high school in Louisville every year to hire ushers, ticket takers, and so forth, to work the Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby.  I got to do it in my Freshman year.  I stood a post in the Paddock Lounge for a few hours while watching Jimmy the Greek put the schmooze on a hooker.  What an amazing experience those two days were for a 14-year-old.  In later years we used to go to Churchill Downs on the weekends and bet on the ponies.  I hit an 11-1 odds on a win ticket once and cashed in pretty good.  

Quote:That horsee good. 

Stop.. You're making my dog hungry..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Oh, man.  So disappointed.  I was cheering my head off, though.

That was disappointing. I do agree with the owner though in the fact that I you run the Belmont you should have had to have run both the Preakness and Kentucky derby.

Quote:That was disappointing. I do agree with the owner though in the fact that I you run the Belmont you should have had to have run both the Preakness and Kentucky derby.

I understand his frustration but a Triple Crown winner is truly a special horse if it can win all three races against all-comers.  

So what happens now? Does he still continue to race or did his star burn out and he's done?

I bet ESPN is looking for a way to capitalize on this.. Think about it.. ESPN brings in California Chrome as a commentator, and not only that, pairs him with Tim Tebow for their own half hour ESPN daily slot.. That would be awesome. I'd watch it.. They can have Tebow standing at a half open barn door with Chrome sticking his head out (Mr. Ed style), they can smear peanut butter under his lip to make it look like he's talking and then they can do a whole half hour back and forth session about the current weeks sports stories.. They can call it The Timmy Chrome Show.. I smell an Emmy.. 

[Image: 2cpais8.jpg]

Quote:I understand his frustration but a Triple Crown winner is truly a special horse if it can win all three races against all-comers.  

I agree with you.  

Yet,  one thing that surprised me that I wasn't aware of until yesterday is that when Citation won the Triple Crown in 1948,   the Belmont Stakes was 4 weeks after the Preakness instead of 3 weeks.   If something were to change in the Triple Crown format,  I would prefer having an extra week between the Preakness and the Belmont rather than eliminating Horses from the Belmont that didn't participate in the Kentucky Derby and / or the Preakness.  

Quote:So what happens now? Does he still continue to race or did his star burn out and he's done?

I bet ESPN is looking for a way to capitalize on this.. Think about it.. ESPN brings in California Chrome as a commentator, and not only that, pairs him with Tim Tebow for their own half hour ESPN daily slot.. That would be awesome. I'd watch it.. They can have Tebow standing at a half open barn door with Chrome sticking his head out (Mr. Ed style), they can smear peanut butter under his lip to make it look like he's talking and then they can do a whole half hour back and forth session about the current weeks sports stories.. They can call it The Timmy Chrome Show.. I smell an Emmy..

[Image: 2cpais8.jpg]
sounds like something Timmy would be good at? You should give Timmy some peanut butter too.

Quote:sounds like something Timmy would be good at? You should give Timmy some peanut butter too.

Absolute genius. This show would be award winning.

Quote:Oh, man.  So disappointed.  I was cheering my head off, though.
Yeah, it was somewhat of a letdown.  The owners whining after the fact didn't help matters. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Horse racing isn't a sport.

I was very very excited for this horse, especially when it came out in green and purple. What a letdown.

A few of my buddies actually went to the race and I haven't confirmed yet, but I'm pretty sure they put some quiche on the Chromester. Whoops!