Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ballmer to buy Clippers

Quote:sucks as a business man? he ran one of the biggest companies in the world for 14 years and is worth 20 billion dollars. He is number 32 on the Forbes 400. Pretty terrible....

You have to be an idiot to pay $2 million for an NBA team.  He wasn't the only one making the decisions there...he had lots of help.

Obviously the guy isnt a complete idiot, but if you are willing to over pay that much for a team then he may be losing his marbles.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He doesent suck, but to a certain extent I agree with Diesel.

He was forced out at Microsoft because their Mobile (Smartphone) Division has been stuck at number 3 (behind iOS, and Android) with only a 5-10% market share for the last 3-4 years. He stayed on way too long after the damage was done with the lost sales in mobile going to the 2 leaders, and their other divisions suffered as a result.

With the way the mobile technology world is going especially with people moving away from the traditional PC, and onto to the tablet and smartphones. Microsoft has struggled mightily in this area, which is why they are making a slow migration from selling PC's to just focusing on their software, and gaming (XBOX) platform. 

Their Surface Pro tablets are a good product (My job gave some out to us to try out for a few months) but Microsoft has not put any major resources (apps and consistent software updates) into this and their mobile devices.

It also dosent help that they still carry a nasty reputation by some app developers as being too restrictive on their platform.

Microsoft originally didnt think tablets were going to be popular.  Whoops.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014, 12:06 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:He over payed, simple as that.

Somehow I dont think Ballmer paying 2 Billion will not automatically increase the value of all the NBA franchises unless the National TV contracts increase in value.
No question he overpaid. He could have gotten the team at a much reduced cost with the position that the league was putting the Sterling family in. The Sterling's made out like none other in the sale of the team.

edit: and "reduced cost" is probably not correct word. Quite a bit less may be better.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:You have to be an idiot to pay $2 million Billion for an NBA team.  He wasn't the only one making the decisions there...he had lots of help.

Obviously the guy isnt a complete idiot, but if you are willing to over pay that much for a team then he may be losing his marbles.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:No question he overpaid. He could have gotten the team at a much reduced cost with the position that the league was putting the Sterling family in. The Sterling's made out like none other in the sale of the team.

edit: and "reduced cost" is probably not correct word. Quite a bit less may be better.

Seems there were multiple bidders driving the price up. Guy saw an opportunity and paid what it took. Wouldn't be shocked to see the team moved to Seattle eventually.

Quote:Seems there were multiple bidders driving the price up. Guy saw an opportunity and paid what it took. Wouldn't be shocked to see the team moved to Seattle eventually.

I just don't see how that makes good business sense.  If you move it to Seattle I would think the value of the team would drop.

A bid of $2 billion dollars is 15 times its revenue.  That is outrageous at this point.  I know their profits should increase significantly if they stay in LA, but its a steep price.  I know the players only receive 50% now, the league tv deal is about to sky rocket and so is the Clippers tv deal.  I'd imagine this guy wont have a problem spending money like Sterling did either.

If you are a multi billionaire, and have cash to spend, I guess why not?  I'd buy the Jags if I had 20 billion.  It's a good problem to have.

Quote:You have to be an idiot to pay $2 million for an NBA team.  He wasn't the only one making the decisions there...he had lots of help.

its supply and demand. there is one NBA team for sale, ballmer really wanted to own one. he did what he had to do to get it. there arent a lot of chances in life to own an NBA team, especially one in a big market, that is also a current contender. i have no issue with it. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Microsoft originally didnt think tablets were going to be popular.  Whoops.

also big whoop, they whiffed on one product. no man or company is pristine. he still steered microsoft for 14 years. and the mobile division has been on the upswing over the past 2 years and that is under ballmer. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Microsoft originally didnt think tablets were going to be popular.  Whoops.

Actually Bill Gates was one of the pioneers of tablet PC's. They produced protypes in the late 90's and sold some models in the early 2000's. They were just not good models.

Quote:Actually Bill Gates was one of the pioneers of tablet PC's. They produced protypes in the late 90's and sold some models in the early 2000's. They were just not good models.

Yeah I had a teacher in the 9th grade (2002) that had a windows tablet that he would use all the time, it was clunky and when I looked it up, overpriced, but still pretty cool tech.  

Quote:Actually Bill Gates was one of the pioneers of tablet PC's. They produced protypes in the late 90's and sold some models in the early 2000's. They were just not good models.

Right, in the 90's.  The market changed and so did the technology.  MS lost the battle big time.

Quote:Seems the dream to that appeared to die last week of bringing an NFL franchise to L.A. has suddenly risen again.

After seeing what the selling price of the L.A. Clippers will be,  I can't even imagine what NFL expansion fee or relocating fee will be to bring an NFL back to Los Angeles.   The NFL owners have to be thrilled about the news regarding the Clippers upcoming sale.

Show me any successful business man and I'll show you 10 failures he made along the way.

Regards...............the Chiefjag

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014, 06:01 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Assuming a person only takes home 70% of his Gross Salary of $100,000 and yields a 3% annual pay raise each year, it would take 229 years to earn $2 billion .....

now let's factor in living expenses ....

Microsoft far from lost the battle on the mobile market. They're far behind, but they're still number 3 in the game right now and have been gaining market share. Ballmer was behind the acquisition of Nokia. Not only for the hardware, but for the more valuable patent portfolio. That purchase put stock prices up and will allow for even more innovation in the form of in house made hardware. He set satya nadella up for success and to keep Microsoft at the top, which is what he did for 14 years as the CEO.

Quote:2 Billion?? 

The 76ers only sold for a little over 300 MIL a few years ago....

...which proves that this entire exercise is shady.

The other owners in the league are applauding this to artificially inflate their franchise values.

This is a complete scam from top to bottom.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:You have to be an idiot to pay $2 million for an NBA team.  He wasn't the only one making the decisions there...he had lots of help.

Ballmer after putting in his bid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I14b-C67EXY

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:...which proves that this entire exercise is shady.

The other owners in the league are applauding this to artificially inflate their franchise values.

This is a complete scam from top to bottom.

Yeah, I hear ya. 

Funny enough all the people that wanted him out, are gaving him a huge pay day 

Quote:Right, in the 90's.  The market changed and so did the technology.  MS lost the battle big time.
I'm sure they're weeping into their 90% market share in the desktop/ laptop market.