Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
RIP Charlotte Bobcats

Today is the official day the Chartotte Bobcats become the Charlotte Hornets.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/05...3tmg7Vazl4

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Again?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

The Charlotte Hornets didnt work out well the first time...not sure why they think it will this time either.

Then again, I think the Bobcat was a big step down. Their original theme/color was pretty good....they just didn't get the support.

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014, 10:45 AM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Yay! I was a Hornets/Supersonics fan growing up.  When they both moved and changed their names I lost a bit of interest in the NBA.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014, 10:46 AM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote:The Charlotte Hornets didnt work out well the first time...not sure why they think it will this time either.

Then again, I think the Bobcat was a big step down. Their original theme/color was pretty good....they just didn't get the support.

It worked for ten years or so. The team had on-court success and were among the leaders in attendance. Their issue was ownership. The NBA let Shinn move the team to New Orleans and gave the city an expansion team, which made no sense. The area never connected with the Bobcats and they have been awful for a decade. 

The crazy thing about it is that I visited Charlotte on a few occassions and caught 2 of their games.  I never liked the Bobcats name prior to this past year when they started winning and their name and uni's looked that much better.   Now that I'm on board with the Bobcats, they are back to the Hornets.    Oh well !!

Go Magic ---- Lottery or Bust !!

Quote:Yay! I was a Hornets/Supersonics fan growing up.  When they both moved and changed their names I lost a bit of interest in the NBA.

Not certain how old you are but I actually recall the games coming on CBS at 11:30pm --- I loved watching the Suns, Supersonics, and Trailblazers playing late night.

I lived in Seattle as a kid in the 80's. Loved the Dale Ellis/Tom Chambers/Xavier McDaniel era. The 90's were great with Payton, Kemp, Sam Perkins, Hersey Hawkins. If not for Jordan returning in 1995, the Sonics probably win the title that year.

The worst part of Seattle losing the Sonics was they got Durant for one year and than have the team stolen from under them.

Quote:It worked for ten years or so. The team had on-court success and were among the leaders in attendance. Their issue was ownership. The NBA let Shinn move the team to New Orleans and gave the city an expansion team, which made no sense. The area never connected with the Bobcats and they have been awful for a decade.

The Bobcats ownership is still a bit suspect. I mean I love Jordan as much as the rest, but they arent out of the water yet. At least they will sell a lot of new merchandise.

Name was always good as Hornets. I know everybody remembers them in their hayday with Larry Johnson AKA Grandma Ma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbUkBW_ftM

Mugsy, Zo, Granmama, Kendall Gill and of course who could forget REX CHAPMAN!

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I still remember that UNLV team that had Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, Anderson Hunt and Greg Anthony on it. Johnson was pretty much unstoppable at that point.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote: 

The Bobcats ownership is still a bit suspect. I mean I love Jordan as much as the rest, but they arent out of the water yet. At least they will sell a lot of new merchandise.

I agree but an improvement over Bob Johnson. The name Bobcats was panned from the start as most suspected Johnson just named the team after himself. Jordan seems to have a competent person in charge in Rich Cho, and a solid coach. They still sorely lack scoring.

Quote:The Charlotte Hornets didnt work out well the first time...not sure why they think it will this time either.

Actually, they did work out the first time.

The problem was the owner.

He went to trial for sexual assault and kidnapping charges that a jury acquitted him on, but the trial revealed he wasn't the "good guy" he pretended to be.  His relationship with the city quickly soured, so badly that he had to hire a PR guy to be his intermediary.  Then, he pretty much gave the city an ultimatum that they rejected, a big part of it due to his being such a jackass... so he moved the team.

Would they be stronger today had it not been for Shinn, and had they never moved?  I certainly believe so.  I lived in CLT when all that was going down in 2000, and it's difficult to describe how bad the relationship between the owner and the city was like.  It was ugly.  The owner need to go, but it's a shame he had to take the team with him.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Stacey Augmon

PLASTICMAN!!!

[Image: tumblr_m82vyfaft51rrhbhro1_1280.jpg]

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Not a huge basketball fan, but it's cool they brought the Charlotte Hornets back. Always loved their logo and color scheme.

Never liked the Charlotte Bobcats and it just wasn't the same when it was the New Orleans Hornets.

Wrong. The Hornets did much, much better on and off the field. They led the NBA in attendance 8 times.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.