Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

Josh McDaniel.   Is it really that hard to coach Tom Brady?   Does being successful in a Belichick-Brady environment make him some sort of genius?  

I'm starting to lean towards Mike Smith.   He has a lot of head coaching experience, and he's had a lot of success.   Sure, he got fired eventually, just like almost every head coach gets fired eventually.   But he's a no-drama kind of guy who will get along well with everyone, and if we want to finally determine whether our lack of wins is caused by the coaching or if it's caused by the roster, we need an experienced head coach who has won before. 

Beyond that, I like a lot of the other candidates.   I just think maybe Josh McDaniel is overrated. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Josh McDaniel.   Is it really that hard to coach Tom Brady?   Does being successful in a Belichick-Brady environment make him some sort of genius?  

I'm starting to lean towards Mike Smith.   He has a lot of head coaching experience, and he's had a lot of success.   Sure, he got fired eventually, just like almost every head coach gets fired eventually.   But he's a no-drama kind of guy who will get along well with everyone, and if we want to finally determine whether our lack of wins is caused by the coaching or if it's caused by the roster, we need an experienced head coach who has won before. 

Beyond that, I like a lot of the other candidates.   I just think maybe Josh McDaniel is overrated. 
I honestly think it's been Mike Smith's job to lose for a while now. It makes too much sense.

Now the questions becomes, who does he bring with him to be OC and DC? McCoy would be my ideal pick and then maybe the DC from Cincy.

Quote:Not going to read 25 pages, but I heard on the radio that Tom Coughlin was ruled out.

What happened?

He would not commit to playing Dan Skuta for at least 25 plays per game.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 10:15 AM by Mowerguy.)

Mcdaniel is the classic..."woke up on third base and thought he hit a triple". I wouldn't think it's that hard directing the O on a Hoodie team.

Smith has worked his butt off for what he's accomplished. After all the smoke is clear, I think that's who we end up with.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:Josh McDaniel.   Is it really that hard to coach Tom Brady?   Does being successful in a Belichick-Brady environment make him some sort of genius?  

To further support your statement, just look at the history of OC's under Peyton Manning during the Colts era.  Not a very hard job and not much success at the next level as a HC.

Quote:Josh McDaniel. Is it really that hard to coach Tom Brady? Does being successful in a Belichick-Brady environment make him some sort of genius?

I'm starting to lean towards Mike Smith. He has a lot of head coaching experience, and he's had a lot of success. Sure, he got fired eventually, just like almost every head coach gets fired eventually. But he's a no-drama kind of guy who will get along well with everyone, and if we want to finally determine whether our lack of wins is caused by the coaching or if it's caused by the roster, we need an experienced head coach who has won before.

Beyond that, I like a lot of the other candidates. I just think maybe Josh McDaniel is overrated.

Completely agree. Smith is my favorite, and I'm just uncomfortable with any NE coach. Let alone McDaniels. There's obviously a split in our locker room, and we need an experienced HC to come in and fix it. McDaniels was instrumental in his own locker room's demise in Denver. Hard pass on McDaniels. Let the Rams or 9ers have him.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Not going to read 25 pages, but I heard on the radio that Tom Coughlin was ruled out.

What happened?

Thats too bad if true.

Anyone want to predict the HC hires?

Bills - Anthony Lynn

Broncos - Kyle Shanahan

Jaguars - Mike Smith

Rams - Josh McDaniels

Chargers - Vance Joseph or Matt Patricia

49ers - Tom Cable or Doug Marrone

Quote:Anyone want to predict the HC hires?

Bills - Anthony Lynn

Broncos - Kyle Shanahan

Jaguars - Mike Smith

Rams - Josh McDaniels

Yo... Thats a really good start.

I would only change Chargers and 49ers.

I think Chargers go Toub and the 49ers go Patricia.

Bills - Anthony Lynn

Broncos - Kyle Shanahan

Jaguars - Mike Smith

Rams - Josh McDaniels

I think those predictions are as good as any I could make. 

Bills - Anthony Lynn

Broncos - Kyle Shanahan

Jaguars - Mike Smith

Rams - Josh McDaniels

Nailed it. Everyone knows jags will hire Mike Smith.

Quote:Thats too bad if true.

Maybe it was issues over Bortles?

New Jersey Jaguars fan.

While I would love to see Coughlin here, I just don't know who he'd bring in for his staff.  The Giants staff that he assembled is still in NY and have all been promoted up since his departure.

That said, if Mike Smith is hired, who do you think he'd hire as OC & DC ?  Not sure if this is buried in the 25-page thread already .....

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 11:42 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:While I would love to see Coughlin here, I just don't know who he'd bring in for his staff.  The Giants staff that he assembled is still in NY and have all been promoted up since his departure.

That said, if Mike Smith is hired, who do you think he'd hire as OC & DC ?  Not sure if this is buried in the 25-page thread already .....

I think he'd hire some no-drama types like himself.   He wouldn't hire Rex Ryan.  

But since he's so well known and well-like around the league, and since we have a lot of pieces in place on both sides of the ball, and an owner who has shown lots of patience, I think he would have some really good candidates who would want to come here. 

Sucks bad if Coughlin is ruled out already. 

It's going to be Mike Smith for sure at this point. 

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 11:41 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

Quote:If I had to guess, that would be Sean Payton.

Even though the team did not win yesterday, on the whole, they came to play these last two weeks, which is more than what we can say about the team under Bradley.

Marrone et al seems to be able to get the most out of Bortles.

I was a Marrone advocate before he took over.  Nothing that has transpired since has changed my opinion.
I would say it was coughlin.  Basically saying.  Why do you want me?  When you have a great coach there already.   Get some better coordinators there.  And competition for blake.  And hes golden. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 11:49 AM by diehardjagsfaninsocal.)

Quote:Josh McDaniel. Is it really that hard to coach Tom Brady? Does being successful in a Belichick-Brady environment make him some sort of genius?

I'm starting to lean towards Mike Smith. He has a lot of head coaching experience, and he's had a lot of success. Sure, he got fired eventually, just like almost every head coach gets fired eventually. But he's a no-drama kind of guy who will get along well with everyone, and if we want to finally determine whether our lack of wins is caused by the coaching or if it's caused by the roster, we need an experienced head coach who has won before.

Beyond that, I like a lot of the other candidates. I just think maybe Josh McDaniel is overrated.
I can't see myself having confidence in any candidate that hasn't previously led a team to a winning record.

With a guy that's won before as HC we can then say...Look what he did with that team as HC.

He should be able to have us winning too.

Our talent level Imho is above average and with normal anticipated development of our younger guys from this year to next year our talent level should be WELL above average.

I have a good feeling about our performance next year.

As long as we don't hire a guy who can't get it done I believe we're gonna have a great record.

Mike Smith or any winning coach please.

I am dreading an entire offseason of anxiety if we hire someone who's never coached a winner

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 11:54 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

We need to have a hc in place this month the earlier the better.  And if a super bowl coach said marrone is great?  Probaly Tom.  Reason why not coming here.  Then, how he is not in the running never know?  I personally think Marrone would bring in new guys for coordinators and assistants.  Unless keeps hackett. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

TTR...what could you have possibly edited?

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:TTR...what could you have possibly edited?
He ain't no goodest with these. Darn compooter.s