Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

If Marrone doesn't get the job, does he pull a Rick Vaughn on Dave when he thought he got cut by Lou Brown?

The 2nd half of the Clot game left a sour taste about Marrone for me.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:  Doug Marrone probably would keep some of the current Jags staff.   But considering the team results,  it's hard to envision Marrone NOT making major changes with the staff.  

You figure the offensive staff would receive a major overhaul, sans Hackett, but it's tough to gauge what he would do on the other side of the ball since:

1. The defense has improved quite a bit

2. That's not his area of expertise

Food for thought, but one of his DCs in Buffalo is currently without a job and that's Mike Pettine, so he could in theory have both of his coordinators from his initial staff in Buffalo. His special teams coordinator is still in Buffalo, but could very well be on the outs with a new regime.

Quote:Hackett was Marrone's OC in Buffalo.

Hackett took over as OC midseason after Blake was a lost cause. The fact Blake looked like he did the final two games was rather impressive to me. His footwork was a lot better. I'd imagine both Marrone/Hackett likely had something to do with it, and Blake points it out in the Diroc article.

Yeah, if Marrone stays, there's no way Hackett isn't staying as well.

Quote:You figure the offensive staff would receive a major overhaul, sans Hackett, but it's tough to gauge what he would do on the other side of the ball since:

1. The defense has improved quite a bit

2. That's not his area of expertise

Food for thought, but one of his DCs in Buffalo is currently without a job and that's Mike Pettine, so he could in theory have both of his coordinators from his initial staff in Buffalo. His special teams coordinator is still in Buffalo, but could very well be on the outs with a new regime.

Though I think there's a pretty good chance Doug Marrone would bring MIke Pettine to Jacksonville or anywhere else he becomes an NFL HC this season,  there's an excellent chance he would bring Special Teams Coordinator Danny Crossman  with him from Buffalo.  When Pettine became BIlls HC In 2013,  he asked the Lions permission to hire Crossman for Special Teams,  the position he had in Detroit.   Because Marrone and Crossman have known each other for decades and have had a long term working relationship,  then GM Martin Mayhew and HC Jim Schwartz let Crossman move on.   Ironically,  Schwartz was back with both coaches in 2014 when Marrone hired him as DC.

Quote:   Though I think there's a pretty good chance Doug Marrone would bring MIke Pettine to Jacksonville or anywhere else he becomes an NFL HC this season,  there's an excellent chance he would bring Special Teams Coordinator Danny Crossman  with him from Buffalo.  When Pettine became BIlls HC In 2013,  he asked the Lions permission to hire Crossman for Special Teams,  the position he had in Detroit.   Because Marrone and Crossman have known each other for decades and have had a long term working relationship,  then GM Martin Mayhew and HC Jim Schwartz let Crossman move on.   Ironically,  Schwartz was back with both coaches in 2014 when Marrone hired him as DC.

Actually looking at the entire coaching staff from 2013, most of them are either working the college ranks or at home. The current ones with jobs in the NFL are Anthony Weaver (Houston), Rob Moore (Oakland), Jim O'Neil (San Francisco), Donny Henderson (Buffalo), and Danny Crossman (Buffalo). The last three are on teams with new coaching staffs coming in and Anthony Weaver could possibly join them if the rumors about Bill O'Brien are true. Realistically Marrone could almost replicate his initial coaching staff from Buffalo in Jacksonville.

Quote:Actually looking at the entire coaching staff from 2013, most of them are either working the college ranks or at home. The current ones with jobs in the NFL are Anthony Weaver (Houston), Rob Moore (Oakland), Jim O'Neil (San Francisco), Donny Henderson (Buffalo), and Danny Crossman (Buffalo). The last three are on teams with new coaching staffs coming in and Anthony Weaver could possibly join them if the rumors about Bill O'Brien are true. Realistically Marrone could almost replicate his initial coaching staff from Buffalo in Jacksonville.

Donnie Henderson would be well worth considering as DB Coach.   Henderson was the Jets DC under Herman Edwards and in 2006,  Rod Marinelli hired him in that role with the Lions.  Marinelli and Henderson had a mutual parting after one season,  as Marinelli prefers the Tampa Two style as his foundation,  while Henderson likes to blitz frequently.  

Quote:Like I said, he isn't who I want. I want to clean house. But let's not act like Marrone is a bad candidate here. Apparently either Tom, Belicheck, or Payton talked to Khan about him and said we should hire him. He had huge success turning a terrible Syracuse program around and getting them into bowls. Went to Buffalo and got to 9 wins with Kyle Orton at QB. Came here and in his 2 games as HC made the offense look totally competent again while only having a few days of practice to put his mark on it/work with Blake.

He is clearly after Shanny/McD/Smith for me as a candidate, but he's a good coach. He'd at least get this team turned around and into a .500-10 win team again imo. Would he be able to do more than that? IDK. But I don't think we really have a very good idea if any of the guys we interview can do that as none has done it.
I would take him in a heart beat.  Lack of weapons and competitive. And even if go 500 next year.  People here will be happy.  It has been so long! 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

If he brought Pettine, that would be pretty darn interesting. Hes a very good DC.

John Clayton mentioned on 1090 AM in San Diego that he believes Mike Smith will be the next HC of the Jaguars:

http://www.mighty1090.com/episode/john-c...your-list/

Quote:John Clayton mentioned on 1090 AM in San Diego that he believes Mike Smith will be the next HC of the Jaguars:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.mighty1090.com/episode/john-clayton-if-you-dont-have-full-authority-in-san-diego-it-really-limits-your-list/'>http://www.mighty1090.com/episode/john-clayton-if-you-dont-have-full-authority-in-san-diego-it-really-limits-your-list/</a>

Yeah it makes too much sense. With Shanahan likely going to Denver, and McDaniels wanting to much control, Smith is the favorite candidate. Plus, I'm sure Dave wants to hedge his bets on someone he's worked with extensively before.

I just really want a fresh start with someone new. If Mike

Smith is that dude then so be it, we'd be lucky to have him

Quote:Yeah it makes too much sense. With Shanahan likely going to Denver, and McDaniels wanting to much control, Smith is the favorite candidate. Plus, I'm sure Dave wants to hedge his bets on someone he's worked with extensively before.

I just really want a fresh start with someone new. If Mike

Smith is that dude then so be it, we'd be lucky to have him

One additional reason why Mike Smith is probably more likely going to become the next Jaguars HC compared to the coaches you mentioned is the Jaguars can hire him much sooner.   It's more likely than not that at least one of the two teams ( New England and Atlanta ) will be in the Super Bowl.   Though the Falcons waited for Dan Quinn to become available a couple of years ago,  most NFL organizations are reluctant to wait until after the Super Bowl to hire a HC,

I'm all for that. Get Mike Smith in early and allow him to hire a quality staff. We all have seen how much poor coordinators can hurt a team.

<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/gregauman'>Greg AumanVerified account‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@gregauman</span></a>
</div>

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;">Defensive penalties? Under Mike Smith, only two Bucs players on defense had more than two accepted penalties all season.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ESPNdirocco'>Michael DiRocco ‏@ESPNdirocco </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ESPNdirocco/status/816669171471839233' title="12:34 PM - 4 Jan 2017">19h19 hours ago</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(245,248,250);font-size:1px;">Michael DiRocco Retweeted Greg Auman

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;">Jaguars had 9 players with more than 2 accepted penalties on defense. Smith interviewing for Jaguars job.

Something tells me if we hire Mike Smith our team will be as mediocre as his name. Another uninspiring hire.

One reason it might be Mike Smith is that Caldwell knows he has just one more shot, and he can't take a big chance and swing for the fences.   If he thinks Mike Smith can get this team to .500, that would probably save his job.  I think he might be highly motivated to make a very safe pick. 

Quote:One reason it might be Mike Smith is that Caldwell knows he has just one more shot, and he can't take a big chance and swing for the fences.   If he thinks Mike Smith can get this team to .500, that would probably save his job.  I think he might be highly motivated to make a very safe pick. 

That's what I am starting to think as well. Out of all the candidates he's bringing in it's only Mike Smith that has the actual head coaching experience. And he at least finished his career there with a winning record. I still think a lot of injuries set his last few years there back. And, Matt Ryan has yet to prove he can get it done in the play-offs. He'll have his chance again with Dan Quinn but he's still suspect at best. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Something tells me if we hire Mike Smith our team will be as mediocre as his name. Another uninspiring hire.

Maybe, maybe not. There's really too many unknown commodities right now out on the market for us to hire. We're either looking at all-star coordinators with no previous head coaching experience or a very, very questionable stint at it on their first go around. 

Other than Tom Coughlin. Mike Smith is the only coach available that's lead a successful team before. He's the only other one that has a winning record to his name. 

I still like David Shaw personally. But it's doubtful they'll interview him. He's cozy at Stanford. Can't say I blame him for that. But, if Caldwell does decide to take a chance on an unknown commodity I'd rather see him go with Kyle Shanahan over Josh McDaniels. Kyle has at least had success with three different locations as a play caller with play-off caliber teams. McDaniels has always had Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

I wouldn't mind Matt Patricia either. When you look at his overall history with New England. This guy has done it all just about. He's coached on offense, defense and I think special teams before climbing his way up to DC. 

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2017, 08:17 AM by JagsFanJay.)

I'm really warming to the idea of Mike Smith as the new head coach. In fact, I'd be o.k. with anyone, except Marrone. I want a clean sweep of the coaching staff. If we hired him, I think drafting Malik Hooker makes the most sense, since he runs a cover 2. We can have Gipson and Hooker as the two deep Safeties and we let Cyprien walk. We'd have one of the better secondaries in the NFL. My hope is that he would hire an offensive coordinator who can really change the mechanics and mindset of Bortles. 

Quote:I'm really warming to the idea of Mike Smith as the new head coach. In fact, I'd be o.k. with anyone, except Marrone. I want a clean sweep of the coaching staff.

Same. We need a full and clean break from this current staff. 

Quote:Something tells me if we hire Mike Smith our team will be as mediocre as his name. Another uninspiring hire.
I don't get why this is such an uninspiring hire.

He was defensive coordinator over the most dominant defenses in team history.

He went to Atlanta and became the best coach in terms of W-L-T record in team history.  I could see if he absolutely bombed in Atlanta.  But he didn't.

Unless you want an offensive coach to help ensure Bortles' development, I don't get the complete aversion to Smith.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!