Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2017, 11:03 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:Something tells me if we hire Mike Smith our team will be as mediocre as his name. Another uninspiring hire.

Being mediocre over the past 4 years would have resulted in 17 additional wins and coming up 1 win short of the playoffs in 2015 and 2016.

We're not used to being mediocre, we're used to being terrible.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Should I hate myself that I think that Marrone and Hackett would be a good Offensive coaching staff (with Marrone as HC of course)? But I think I should really hate myself for wanting an overhaul of the Defensive staff in that case.

Part of me wants new blood in here but the other part wants continuity for Bortles' sake. 

I need a drink.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Part of me wants a good coach in here and part of me wants our interception machine QB gone. There's not much controversy if you really look at the numbers.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:If true, and the Bolts are successful in hiring a coach that will keep the offensive staff intact, then nevermind.

But usually a new coach wants his guys there with him.  If this plays out like normal. I would think Whisenhunt becomes available.
Well there's already been reports saying exactly what I said.

Toub is a ST guy, Vance Joseph and co. are going to be first time coaches. Whisenhunt is a proven VERY good OC. You remember we hired Jedd Fisch as an OC for a first time defensive coach right? lol

Quote:Should I hate myself that I think that Marrone and Hackett would be a good Offensive coaching staff (with Marrone as HC of course)? But I think I should really hate myself for wanting an overhaul of the Defensive staff in that case.

Part of me wants new blood in here but the other part wants continuity for Bortles' sake. 

I need a drink.
Nah, I feel the way you feel. I want to ring in a new staff but Marrone/Hackett would be good for Bortles as we saw last couple weeks of the season. 

Defense was solid, but that has much more of Gus's hand on. I don't want to see Wash back because I'm sick of the LEO/OTTO stuff.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2017, 11:14 AM by Pwmccorm1216.)

Quote:Part of me wants a good coach in here and part of me wants our interception machine QB gone. There's not much controversy if you really look at the numbers.
So you would be willing to sacrifice another season of misery just to be proven right that Bortles isnt the answer? How about we give him another chance to redeem himself after an abysmal season by him and the team, which many of the reason was because of poor coaching. 

Id rather be proven wrong and the team does well then to be proven right and watch us lose. 

Quote:I'm with you.

I'm absolutely OK with Marone and Hackett

Then expect another losing season

Quote:So you would be willing to sacrifice another season of misery just to be proven right that Bortles isnt the answer? How about we give him another chance to redeem himself after an abysmal season by him and the team, which many of the reason was because of poor coaching.

Id rather be proven wrong and the team does well then to be proven right and watch us lose.

Bortles really had the cards stacked against him this season and still performed OK. Not good, but OK.

Below average o line play, bad running game, Tendinitis, separated shoulders, bad coaching, Olson not letting him work on his mechanics in the offseason like he needs....

He showed in 2015 that he can play well above average. He's gonna be fine. We just needed this personnel change up.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I wish Marrone had a longer tenure as interim HC. His last game rubbed me the wrong way. Had we dominated the 2nd half, I may have felt differently. I just feel like this team needs some new blood even if the majority of that is perception.

Henne has to go as well. The guys is just terrible and obviously a horrible influence on Bortles.

Quote:Then expect another losing season

I wouldn't go out on that limb.  I don't expect a losing season but that doesn't mean we will have a successful season in 2017.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2017, 11:27 AM by JagsGooner.)

Quote:Agreed. But this team and fanbase are used to mediocrity.
I was going to say that "aren't you part of this fan base too?" But I changed my mind, I just think you just troll here.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:I wish Marrone had a longer tenure as interim HC. His last game rubbed me the wrong way. Had we dominated the 2nd half, I may have felt differently. I just feel like this team needs some new blood even if the majority of that is perception.

Henne has to go as well. The guys is just terrible and obviously a horrible influence on Bortles.
I've never understood the need for going full on prevent defense when the team has to drive the length of the field in a minute. Against a hailmary pass I can understand, but that defense shouldn't be used for a final drive. If they would have played the same defense they did all game it would have been a 4 and out.

Quote:Bortles really had the cards stacked against him this season and still performed OK. Not good, but OK.

Below average o line play, bad running game, Tendinitis, separated shoulders, bad coaching, Olson not letting him work on his mechanics in the offseason like he needs....

He showed in 2015 that he can play well above average. He's gonna be fine. We just needed this personnel change up.
Bortles isnt Peyton Manning, Bortles isnt a perfect QB who does everything correctly. He has a unique throwing motion and he plays well out of the pocket. He can be a good QB in this league, he just needs to be given a chance and the team trust him to get the job done. We did that last season, we gave Bortles the reigns,  he played great. This season, Olsen decided to critique everything Bortles was doing including changing his throwing motion and asking him to spread the ball out more to players like Marquis Lee. It completely screwed him in the head and he never recovered from it. Telling him to spread it out more, they were trying to emphasize getting the ball to Lee more, that worked but at the same time he actually regressed. He was trying to force the ball, his wind up looked like he was throwing a fastball and he just looked completely lost out there. 

I saw a ton of potential in Blake Bortles last season. Im willing to give him another chance and with a proper offseason to take a step back and do what he does best, I think Bortles can bounce back and lead this team to good things. 

Quote:I've never understood the need for going full on prevent defense when the team has to drive the length of the field in a minute. Against a hailmary pass I can understand, but that defense shouldn't be used for a final drive. If they would have played the same defense they did all game it would have been a 4 and out.

This team has never had the "foot on the throat" mentality that it so desperately needs. It's all about protecting leads, even if they are small leads. It's like we almost feel sorry for having a large lead and feel the need to let them back in it due to kindness. 

Quote:This team has never had the "foot on the throat" mentality that it so desperately needs. It's all about protecting leads, even if they are small leads. It's like we almost feel sorry for having a large lead and feel the need to let them back in it due to kindness.
I hate when a team doesn't go for the kill shot. Afraid of running up the score? Who cares!! They have 11 men on the field too! It's their job to stop our offense, and if they can't so be it. Phil Simms said it one game, he said "how many points should we score? More!" You put a team away, when they linger around that happens like it did on Sunday.

Quote:Should I hate myself that I think that Marrone and Hackett would be a good Offensive coaching staff (with Marrone as HC of course)? But I think I should really hate myself for wanting an overhaul of the Defensive staff in that case.

I need a drink.

Not really.

Doug Marrone did a fair job with the Bills. He took them from 6-10 with EJ Manuel to 9-7 with Kyle Orton and arguably they might have made the play offs if Kyle Orton had started the entire season. Their 2013 defense went from 22nd in total defense to 10th and saw Mike Pettine get hired by the Browns, and their 2014 defense under Jim Schwartz made strides and became a top five unit. Sure he ended up bolting from Buffalo when their new owner came into town and he didn't get an extension or the guarantees he desired, but overall he did a fair job with them and never really had a great set of players on the offensive side.

If we look at what he has to work with him. Blake Bortles may never become an elite quarterback, but he's good enough to start in this league and can be prolific in the right offense. We have as good a set of receivers as any team in the league with A-Rob, Lee, Hurns, Walters, and Benn. We have talent at running back, but there does need to be a greater commitment to the running game. And the O-line has improved and can still get better with investment. Overall, this offense has the ability to be a top ten unit - something he never had in Buffalo. So if he did get the job with us, he has a talented offense to work with, and a talented defense to work with. There's no reason he couldn't be a good option for us if we decided to go down that route. 

Quote:I was going to say that "aren't you part of this fan base too?" But I changed my mind, I just think you just troll here.

No im here just for fun. Of course im a fan, but some here are just okay with average. This team is prone to making bone headed moves.

Quote:Not really.

Doug Marrone did a fair job with the Bills. He took them from 6-10 with EJ Manuel to 9-7 with Kyle Orton and arguably they might have made the play offs if Kyle Orton had started the entire season. Their 2013 defense went from 22nd in total defense to 10th and saw Mike Pettine get hired by the Browns, and their 2014 defense under Jim Schwartz made strides and became a top five unit. Sure he ended up bolting from Buffalo when their new owner came into town and he didn't get an extension or the guarantees he desired, but overall he did a fair job with them and never really had a great set of players on the offensive side.

If we look at what he has to work with him. Blake Bortles may never become an elite quarterback, but he's good enough to start in this league and can be prolific in the right offense. We have as good a set of receivers as any team in the league with A-Rob, Lee, Hurns, Walters, and Benn. We have talent at running back, but there does need to be a greater commitment to the running game. And the O-line has improved and can still get better with investment. Overall, this offense has the ability to be a top ten unit - something he never had in Buffalo. So if he did get the job with us, he has a talented offense to work with, and a talented defense to work with. There's no reason he couldn't be a good option for us if we decided to go down that route.

I'd also be quite happy with pettine as our DC.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2017, 11:50 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:No im here just for fun. Of course im a fan, but some here are just okay with average. This team is prone to making bone headed moves.
But why do you associate Mike Smith with "average" and "boneheaded?"

He had one more winning season in Atlanta  (in one fewer years coaching) than Coughlin had here.

He took the Falcons as far as Coughlin took the Jaguars-the Conference championship game.

He coached the Falcons to their first ever back to back winning seasons in franchise history.

Were the Giants "boneheaded" and okay with average when they hired TC?

Belichick did not have Smith's track record of success in Cleveland.  Was New England okay with mediocrity by hiring him?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Any rumors on the coordinators the coaching candidates would bring in? They all seem competent (unlike bobblehead), so the difference for me is who they bring in with them. Id assume Smith would bring in someone from Tampa or Atlanta here to run the O.