Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

Quote:I would be sad.

You realize McDaniels is rumored to love the SF job because he can build it his way and Kyle Shannahan wants to work where his dad did and is eyeing Denver?

Mike Smith is the clear cut 3rd best guy at worst right now.
I really dont wanna be stuck with Doug Marrone 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Vic Carruci said that it won't be a shock if Anthony Lynn is hired by the Bills today.

Quote:I really dont wanna be stuck with Doug Marrone

Stuck with a guy who blew out a tacks team headed for playoffs. And did as well the first half of colts. With no starting Rb no starting TE and hurns.

Yup that is the sky is falling right there.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Don't get the McDaniels hype. That's all Brady and BB. You could put Greg Olson as the OC with the Pats and they'd still do well. Was awful as the Rams OC.

Throw 12-million a year at Bill Cowher and call it a day.  

Quote:Throw 12-million a year at Bill Cowher and call it a day.  
Only if haha

Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

I really don't want Doug Marrone but I have a feeling that's who it's going to be.

Caldwell is going to hire McDaniels and they're going to turn the locker room into their college dorm
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Stuck with a guy who blew out a tacks team headed for playoffs. And did as well the first half of colts. With no starting Rb no starting TE and hurns.

Yup that is the sky is falling right there.
Then he turned into Gus Bradley 2.0 and lost the game, Gus beat the Colts 

Monrone coached the OL who was terrible at run blocking

We need a fresh mind in here not somebody from the staff that was on our 3-13 and 5-11 team

Mike Smith or Coughlin should be the hire 

If we go first time HC go Shannahan or Lynn

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

I love some of the people on here.  We've been terrible for so long, without even a sniff of the playoffs, and yet some people on here are complaining that we may hire a head coach that has a track record of getting to the playoffs consistently, but faltering once there.  Give me a break man.  I'd be more than happy to become a playoff contender.  It's not like this team is ready to become a super bowl contender next year, this turnaround will have to be done in steps.  I look forward to the day that we fire a coach because he gets us to the playoffs every year, but doesn't get us to the super bowl.  That will mean that this team has improved significantly.  Some of you would have the audacity next year to complain if we made the playoffs with Mike Smith but lost in the first round.  These people obviously complain just to complain. 

Quote:I wouldnt say bonheaded with Mike Smith but just not with this team needs. His playoff record speaks for itself. He also had a stacked team. Hes not going to have a Matt Ryan here. We need a offensive coach.

Okay...well arguing we need an offensive coach is different from classifying a Smith hire as "boneheaded" or even "average."

I understand the argument for an offensive coach, though I submit the presence of a defensive coach does not preclude the development of a Super Bowl winning QB.

As for Smith, I do have concerns about him.

I recall the loss in the playoffs to New England in 2007.  Brady had ungodly numbers in that game, something like 26-28. 

It seems as if we stayed in a soft zone the entire game and he picked it apart the entire game.  I don't recall any sort of wrinkle thrown in that had any impact on Brady.  My concern is that a similar approach would be employed here.  I would consider that particularly wasteful given Ramsey's man and press cover abilities.  I would hope Smith would be flexible enough to throw in more man and bump and run coverages, which would make him more apt to blitz.  I would also have concerns about Smith hiring a strong offensive coordinator.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I love some of the people on here. We've been terrible for so long, without even a sniff of the playoffs, and yet some people on here are complaining that we may hire a head coach that has a track record of getting to the playoffs consistently, but faltering once there. Give me a break man. I'd be more than happy to become a playoff contender. It's not like this team is ready to become a super bowl contender next year, this turnaround will have to be done in steps. I look forward to the day that we fire a coach because he gets us to the playoffs every year, but doesn't get us to the super bowl. That will mean that this team has improved significantly. Some of you would have the audacity next year to complain if we made the playoffs with Mike Smith but lost in the first round. These people obviously complain just to complain.

Welcome to the Jungle
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Then he turned into Gus Bradley 2.0 and lost the game, Gus beat the Colts 

Monrone coached the OL who was terrible at run blocking

We need a fresh mind in here not somebody from the staff that was on our 3-13 and 5-11 team

Mike Smith or Coughlin should be the hire 

If we go first time HC go Shannahan or Lynn

A HC lost the game after a lead so he's Gus 2.0? Ok...

Being a good OL coach has nothing to do with a HC. 

Marrone made the offense look MUCH better. Wash runs the defense. The offense got into scoring position multiple times in the 2nd half and missed 2 FG's and hit the 3rd one. The defense faltered big time in the 2nd half and went into prevent to end the game where Luck went right down the field.

So, 1010xl just said the SB winning coach backing Marrone was indeed Bill Belichek. Pretty impressive stuff. Guys don't put their head on the line like that if they think the guy sucks.

Quote:A HC lost the game after a lead so he's Gus 2.0? Ok...

Being a good OL coach has nothing to do with a HC.

Marrone made the offense look MUCH better. Wash runs the defense. The offense got into scoring position multiple times in the 2nd half and missed 2 FG's and hit the 3rd one. The defense faltered big time in the 2nd half and went into prevent to end the game where Luck went right down the field.

Agreed.

Listen to Marrone's post game press conference after that loss. He's the opposite of Gus. Marrone would not be a bad hire.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Mike Smith going to SD is just a formality. He is our next HC whether you like it or not.

To at least a large extent,  this is how John Clayton views it as well.

One possible X factor that comes to mind is do the Jaguars have interest talking to an Assistant Coach ( maybe more than one ) who they can't speak to until after the first round of the playoffs?

Quote:So, 1010xl just said the SB winning coach backing Marrone was indeed Bill Belichek. Pretty impressive stuff. Guys don't put their head on the line like that if they think the guy sucks.

That's pretty interesting. That being said, Palpatine has been known to mislead for his own gain.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2017, 01:27 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:I really don't want Doug Marrone but I have a feeling that's who it's going to be.

I have a feeling Marrone is only a fallback option if the other candidates say no or sign elsewhere.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

After hearing about the recent debacle in Buffalo...I believe Marrone would be a good hire for this franchise.  He's obviously a "no BS" kind of guy...and I like that.

Have you seen my baseball?

So Bill thinks we should promote Marrone? Either that isn't a ringing endorsement for McDaniels or he just doesn't want McDaniels to leave lol.