Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
They say Brian Sexton is out...

Quote:Preseason broadcasts are the perfect venue to get a real sense for how the broadcasts go.

The PBP for a preseason game is about as exciting as watching paint dry, especially in the first and last preseason games of the season.

Truth.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:FBT, what are you, 5?  

Making fun of someone's lisp?  It's not even that bad.  Probably a defense mechanism from people making fun of your fat [BLEEP] in school.  

Anyways.....

Yes, Frangie can stutter and repeat himself over and over again, but overall - he's a likeable guy IMO.

Haven't heard him do PBP, we'll see how it goes.

A radio guy with a lisp, a stutter, and a propensity to repeat himself...repeatedly. Yes, I'm the bad guy for pointing out what the planet has known for years. Likability is great if your the sales guy at a local station. Being able to speak clearly without stammering or repeating yourself is a tad more important for a PBP guy.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Boy, talk about people whining! 

I've heard a lot of moaning and groaning about Frangie (and FBT, your harping on the lisp thing, which I never notice, to be honest, is really getting old already) but I don't hear any specific criticisms about his radio play by play. I've never heard him call a game; I'd forgotten he even did any. Is he any good? If not, why not?

You do realize he won't be doing his radio show when he does a Jags game, right? Then why so much moaning about his radio show persona? Because people like to gripe? Probably.

And stop it with the - omg, he's a Steelers fan! Big deal. This is Florida, where half the people are fans of some other team. He's being paid to do the Jaguars games, and I'll wait and see how he does. I rarely listen to radio broadcasts - in large part because I thought Sexton was pretty poor - but I think we'll all survive.

Many of you guys complain when people have preconceived notions regarding the Jaguars, but here are 11 pages of the same for someone 90% of us have never heard call a game.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Wait, do people hate Frangie more because of the "Steeler fan" thing or because he's genuinely not a good annnouncer? Or both?

If his PBP is anything like his radio hosting, this is the worst move in the history of radio.  I try and listen on 1010XL but I always find myself changing the station when he goes on one of his rants.  I call him Frankie Two times (sometimes Frankie 3 or 4 times).  He repeats everything he says several times in a row....I'm speechless right now...Frangie is a clown and should be off the radio entirely, not given more duties.

60% of the Time...It works everytime...

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014, 10:55 PM by Jinjo.)

Who cares. Both are horrible. 

Honest question though. Why do people listen to the radio feed over the announcers on TV? Isnt the audio out of sync and annoying? 

I like Sexton overall, but too many times he failed to inform the listener of the location of a pass reception, called incomplete passes complete.....then changed the call, delayed announcing penalties, etc. I found myself holding back excitement on "successful" Jaguar plays for several seconds to allow time for Sexton to correct his calls.

Quote:A radio guy with a lisp, a stutter, and a propensity to repeat himself...repeatedly. Yes, I'm the bad guy for pointing out what the planet has known for years. Likability is great if your the sales guy at a local station. Being able to speak clearly without stammering or repeating yourself is a tad more important for a PBP guy.

Agree. That is his job. And Frangie sounds horrible on the radio. Same with the Hacker clown. I am sure he is probably a hard worker and puts in hours, but why let people on the air that have no business being on there?

As for Frangie, the move still makes no sense as a fan of the team. Sexton was nothing special but this is an obvious downgrade.

;

;

Quote:I like Sexton overall, but too many times he failed to inform the listener of the location of a pass reception, called incomplete passes complete.....then changed the call, delayed announcing penalties, etc. I found myself holding back excitement on "successful" Jaguar plays for several seconds to allow time for Sexton to correct his calls.

After digesting this for a while it occurs to me that he will probably get a little more game day support and prep help for an NFL broadcast then he does for his other PBP work.  Still won't help much with his delivery and propensity towards repetition but maybe it'll help with his error rate a little.  

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

The Jaguars are removing all ties to the days of old. They are trying to sell a NEW product. The old product didn't sell. The radio broadcast was more enjoyable than going to the game. Sexton was good. Put Frangie in, reduce the amount of faithful radio followers and increase the number of tickets sold to "The Experience".

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Boy, talk about people whining! 

I've heard a lot of moaning and groaning about Frangie (and FBT, your harping on the lisp thing, which I never notice, to be honest, is really getting old already) but I don't hear any specific criticisms about his radio play by play. I've never heard him call a game; I'd forgotten he even did any. Is he any good? If not, why not?

You do realize he won't be doing his radio show when he does a Jags game, right? Then why so much moaning about his radio show persona? Because people like to gripe? Probably.

And stop it with the - omg, he's a Steelers fan! Big deal. This is Florida, where half the people are fans of some other team. He's being paid to do the Jaguars games, and I'll wait and see how he does. I rarely listen to radio broadcasts - in large part because I thought Sexton was pretty poor - but I think we'll all survive.

Many of you guys complain when people have preconceived notions regarding the Jaguars, but here are 11 pages of the same for someone 90% of us have never heard call a game.
From my very personal viewpoint.

I have been a Jaguars Fan from day 1 like many on this board and all those who have come to love their Jaguars.

I have endured the snarky, personal attacks on the Jags, uninformed and down right infantile rant's, ravings and diarrhea of

Frangy, Balou, Hicken, Prosser, Lamb and the old school cabal from this market.

Several times they have tried to wrestle the Jaguars Flagship away from WOKV and failed.

There is a long standing animosity between Frangy & Co and the Jaguars. Only recently since Shad bought the team did things change.

WOKV is wedded to their talk show format and evidently could not offer the enhanced broadcast requirements that the Jags require.

Now Frangy & Co win. How does a cur change it's markings overnight, or in this case 4 month's.

The disparity of professionalism between Khan, Lamping, Caldwell, Bradley and Frangy & Co is very evident.

When the francise was awarded, Sexton was a Pup wet behind the ears, he now is a consumate professional in the bottom tier of team PBP's

I wish him all the best.

I really wish Frangy & Co the best.

I  have no control over the situation, so no stress should be felt.

I end my posts in this thread.

I will however hold them to the NFL Standard of PBP.

This is Primetime boyz, better practise cause Day 1 is coming.

Please suprise me.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:I don't think that many were calling for Sexton to be out.
There were mulitple threads created over the past several years talking about it.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I don't think its Sexton leaving is what is upsetting people....

Quote:As a fan who listens to every game broadcast, I actually like Sexton.  Always have.  The things that annoy some around here regarding his style are funny because if he did the exact thing they wanted, someone else would complain about that.  He knew better than most that he was never going to please everyone.

I get some are upset that Sexton is leaving in favor of Frangie. I still find it funny that some bellyache for a change for so long, and still bellyache after it's done.

I have/had no particular opinion on Sexton and how he called games, but I will say this about Frangie. He does very well with the college games he calls. At the very least, give him a shot. I will also add this. I listen to 1010 all the time,and Frangie is not my favorite, but willing to see what he does with the calling of Jags games.

And you are right FBT, you can never please all. Especially the ones who only want to complain, ha!!

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:The Jaguars are removing all ties to the days of old. They are trying to sell a NEW product. The old product didn't sell. The radio broadcast was more enjoyable than going to the game. Sexton was good. Put Frangie in, reduce the amount of faithful radio followers and increase the number of tickets sold to "The Experience".

A lot of people who buy tickets also listen to the game on the radio.  I'm one of them.  I'm fairly certain the last thing 1010 wants to do now that they've got the contract with the Jags is to see fewer people listening.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:  I call him Frankie Two times (sometimes Frankie 3 or 4 times).  He repeats everything he says several times in a row....

Nice -- reminds me of Goodfellas

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2014, 09:07 AM by Adam2012.)

Quote:A lot of people who buy tickets also listen to the game on the radio.  I'm one of them.  I'm fairly certain the last thing 1010 wants to do now that they've got the contract with the Jags is to see fewer people listening.

Don't discount the idea that people who previously avoided the radio broadcasts will now perhaps give them a try.

AlI I want from Frangie, or anyone really, is the basics - down and distance, time remaining, etc. You know, stuff that Sexton sometimes missed. And I don't think any such "signature call" or other silliness will be be less than Sexton's.

Headslap says he's going to hold Frangie to "NFL standards". Not sure what that means. Is that what we were getting? If I can take Boselli on the radio I'm pretty sure I can handle Frangie.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Don't discount the idea that people who previously avoided the radio broadcasts will now perhaps give them a try.

AlI I want from Frangie, or anyone really, is the basics - down and distance, time remaining, etc. You know, stuff that Sexton sometimes missed. And I don't think any such "signature call" or other silliness will be be less than Sexton's.

Headslap says he's going to hold Frangie to "NFL standards". Not sure what that means. Is that what we were getting? If I can take Boselli on the radio I'm pretty sure I can handle Frangie.

I'm not setting high expectations for what we can expect from Frangie.  I've heard some of his play-by-play work at the collegiate level, and it's as bland as dry toast. 

The new "voice" of the Jaguars has spent the last 2 decades taking shots at the franchise any time he had an opportunity.  He already admits he needs to learn everything he can about a team before he takes the booth this year despite it being the only true professional sports franchise in the market he's spent his entire career.  It's getting off to a roaring start.

Quote:I'm not setting high expectations for what we can expect from Frangie.  I've heard some of his play-by-play work at the collegiate level, and it's as bland as dry toast. 

The new "voice" of the Jaguars has spent the last 2 decades taking shots at the franchise any time he had an opportunity.  He already admits he needs to learn everything he can about a team before he takes the booth this year despite it being the only true professional sports franchise in the market he's spent his entire career.  It's getting off to a roaring start.

He was one of the biggest pro-Tebow, anti-Jaguar guys in town.

Even as late as last offseason when Caldwell made his "Even If He's Released" declaration, Frangie opened the phone lines to anyone and everyone wanted to take potshots at Caldwell and the team.

He essentially predicted the death of the franchise if they did not take Tebow in 2010.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2014, 09:25 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

Quote:Who cares. Both are horrible.

Honest question though. Why do people listen to the radio feed over the announcers on TV? Isnt the audio out of sync and annoying?
If you're listening to the Jaguars broadcast via the internet though a computer or mobile device, it is a bit delayed from what's coming out over the airwaves. That delay allows you to use your DVR to also play the game on TV a few seconds behind it being "live" and get it in sync with the delayed internet broadcast.

Was something I've done for a while for away games. Won't be so quick to do it anymore. We'll see how this turns out soon enough though.

Quote:I'm not setting high expectations for what we can expect from Frangie. I've heard some of his play-by-play work at the collegiate level, and it's as bland as dry toast.

The new "voice" of the Jaguars has spent the last 2 decades taking shots at the franchise any time he had an opportunity. He already admits he needs to learn everything he can about a team before he takes the booth this year despite it being the only true professional sports franchise in the market he's spent his entire career. It's getting off to a roaring start.

Yeah, the line about learning everything he can about the team now is pretty bad. Really? What do you do all day in your profession if you don't know the Jags by now?

Quote:The Jaguars are removing all ties to the days of old. They are trying to sell a NEW product. The old product didn't sell. The radio broadcast was more enjoyable than going to the game. Sexton was good. Put Frangie in, reduce the amount of faithful radio followers and increase the number of tickets sold to "The Experience".

Interesting point of view. Shad's a crafty one if true. However, I highly doubt who the voice of the Jaguars is will prompt any fence sitters to buy tickets. The Experience they are trying to create at the game hopefully should though.