Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell would be "relatively surprised" if Blackmon plays next season

Quote:There is no coddling going on here, he has already lost an astounding amount of money and probably will not play this year.

That means he has lost 2.072M salary and 1.7M roster bonus or 3.772M as of 3/16/14.

His salary and bonus are no longer guaranteed for 2015 under the terms of his original contracts "no suspension clause" 3.33M by the way.

He can't be traded while suspended and the Jaguars retain rights to him.

It is all in the Jags favor without any monetary cost or limitation to roster size till he is reinstated.

HeadSlap

That's as a result of the NFL's suspension and the terms of his contract, that's not the Jaguars coming upside his head so to speak.

What Blackmon needs is to feel the true weight of his actions, and until he's struggling to make a roster he won't feel it.

It's like Chris Carter said, Buddy Ryan did for him the only thing that could help, he showed him that he wasn't great enough to keep making the big bucks on an NFL team while doing drugs. Blackmon needs to be taught the same.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

That's why the team needs to operate, as they said they would, as if they expect him not to be here.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:That's as a result of the NFL's suspension and the terms of his contract, that's not the Jaguars coming upside his head so to speak.

What Blackmon needs is to feel the true weight of his actions, and until he's struggling to make a roster he won't feel it.

It's like Chris Carter said, Buddy Ryan did for him the only thing that could help, he showed him that he wasn't great enough to keep making the big bucks on an NFL team while doing drugs.

Yep. Buddy Ryan did Cris Carter a favor. And then Cris Carter went to the Hall of Fame playing for another team!

Quote:If you get anything for him- it's worth it. As it stands, all he offers this team is a false sense of hope.

Just draft Sammy and move on. He is a better prospect anyways.
It's not really, because if he moves on and performs like he has been with some other team and stays out of trouble, you've made the mistake of trading away elite-level talent to another team for a pick that most likely won't even make the team. Those "Ifs" are worth more than the 6th or 7th rounder you'll have to settle for.

What we do know is that Justin Blackmon was 2nd in receiving behind Calvin Johnson before he was suspended and has done nothing but perform at a high level whenever he's on the field.

You simply can't move on. I know people see him has a black eye on the franchise, but he also may be the most physically talented receiver to ever play in Jacksonville. That's the type of potential he possesses. I think that potential is worth more than any pick that isn't a low 1st-high 2nd rounder that you can get for him.

Even if he doesn't play another down in the NFL, waiting for him would be worth it because you'll know that also means he'll never be on the other side of the field hurting your secondary. As ruthless and heartless as that sounds, it's just the way you have to think in the NFL when dealing with players like Blackmon.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:There are 26 other choices besides T?  What are they? Wink

I've always assumed "sometimes Y" is a completely different letter.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Nope. No trading Blackmon. If Jax can't have him, no one can.

Simply put.

Quote:Maybe this is just another smokescreen for teams looking to trade up for Watkins. Make it seem we have a dire need for an ELITE WR (which is arguable that we do) , to boost the trade value for Watkins

That would make teams want to trade with St Louis to get ahead of us.

So if its a smokescreen, he wants somebody to trade ahead of us and pick Watkins... but I doubt that.

Quote:I've always assumed "sometimes Y" is a completely different letter.

Good point.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014, 01:01 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Yep. Buddy Ryan did Cris Carter a favor. And then Cris Carter went to the Hall of Fame playing for another team!

While true....ugh, as a fan at that time, I hated that move. 

We also don't know for sure what Blackmon's suspension is for. Carter was into some hardcore stuff. 

Some assume Blackmon's suspension is for alcohol since thats what started all these penalties in the first place, and its a hard one to keep totally sober from when the culture of NFL players has it everywhere, especially in social settings. If Blackmon is going to be randomly tested for alcohol in his system, its going to be a difficult one to stay perfect. I couldn't do it, and I don't even have a problem with alcohol. But lets face it, you hang with friends, you socialize, you drink. I never drink at home if I am alone. Never. But socially, if its being served? Almost 100% of the time. 

Quote:If you get anything for him- it's worth it. As it stands, all he offers this team is a false sense of hope.

Just draft Sammy and move on. He is a better prospect anyways.
Watkins has the same questions as Blackmon did about off the field stuff. To me, that makes him the exact same prospect.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:While true....ugh, as a fan at that time, I hated that move.

We also don't know for sure what Blackmon's suspension is for. Carter was into some hardcore stuff.

Some assume Blackmon's suspension is for alcohol since thats what started all these penalties in the first place, and its a hard one to keep totally sober from when the culture of NFL players has it everywhere, especially in social settings. If Blackmon is going to be randomly tested for alcohol in his system, its going to be a difficult one to stay perfect. I couldn't do it, and I don't even have a problem with alcohol. But lets face it, you hang with friends, you socialize, you drink. I never drink at home if I am alone. Never. But socially, if its being served? Almost 100% of the time.
while I agree it's not easy when your a professional and it's your job you gotta stop. He has access to tons of help and resources and just because you can't do it dosent means others can't.

Quote:While true....ugh, as a fan at that time, I hated that move. 

My biggest gripe with "substance abuse" suspensions; if it doesn't affect production on the field then the NFL has no business testing for it. If he wants to drink then its legal for him to do so. If he commits another crime then thats a different matter.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:while I agree it's not easy when your a professional and it's your job you gotta stop. He has access to tons of help and resources and just because you can't do it dosent means others can't.

its not his job to refrain from drinking, its his job to play football. That the NFL has that kind of power over players is one of the great labor/management issues of our day.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014, 01:39 PM by Dakota.)

Quote:its not his job to refrain from drinking, its his job to play football. That the NFL has that kind of power over players is one of the great labor/management issues of our day.
The NFLPA, who represents the players is fully on board with that arrangement. If the players don't like it, they should go to their reps about it then.

Don't expect that stance to change either. The NFLPA knows what a cash cow they ride right now, and also know what enough bad publicity will do to that cash cow. If you were giving 20 year olds millions of dollars, wouldn't you want to see that cash well protected? Well, the owners do, the NFLPA does, and most of the players do as well. It's their livelihood. 

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:its not his job to refrain from drinking, its his job to play football. That the NFL has that kind of power over players is one of the great labor/management issues of our day.
it is his job to conduct himself at a professional level. Do I think he should be able to have a beer at home? Sure but getting busted with DUI's and drinking responsibily is a whole other thing.

This is not on the NFLPA, The Commish, or anybody else.  It's on Justin Blackmon.  He decided to be stupid and he is paying the price.  The sad fact is the Jaguars are paying for it

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:it is his job to conduct himself at a professional level. Do I think he should be able to have a beer at home? Sure but getting busted with DUI's and drinking responsibily is a whole other thing.

And you dont see the serious implications of penalizing a person for a legal activity? This same encroachment is happening to regular people who have to share personal health data with their employers, and we are permitting it. If he DUIs again toss him out of the league. That they get to randomly take his urine to check for a legal substance used legally at the potential cost of his employment should have all free men angry.

First they came for the smokers, then the drinkers, then the fatties. Soon no one will be left alone. Like red meat or driving your V8? Pretty soon it wont be your choice, it'll be your employers.

When you accept a contract you agree to the stipulations of the contract which in this case includes a behavioral clause. If you don't want to agree to the behavioral clause then don't sign it.

Let's see, I'm going to pay a man $3000 to paint my house but I want him to agree he doesn't smoke while doing it. He has the option to take it, or not. Smoking is legal right? Blackmon took it and he took the money then violated the behavioral clause. Pay the penalty!

In my company the standard integrity statement was; "If you don't want it plastered on the front page of the newspaper then don't do it!"

Regards........................the Chiefjag

Quote:And you dont see the serious implications of penalizing a person for a legal activity? This same encroachment is happening to regular people who have to share personal health data with their employers, and we are permitting it. If he DUIs again toss him out of the league. That they get to randomly take his urine to check for a legal substance used legally at the potential cost of his employment should have all free men angry.

First they came for the smokers, then the drinkers, then the fatties. Soon no one will be left alone. Like red meat or driving your V8? Pretty soon it wont be your choice, it'll be your employers.
I get the reasoning and yes it comes down to where so you draw the like.. But when your a professional and a role model he's gotta clean up his act. After he retires he can drink all he wants and being that we don't know the details of what he actually got buste for.

Quote:When you accept a contract you agree to the stipulations of the contract which in this case includes a behavioral clause. If you don't want to agree to the behavioral clause then don't sign it.

Let's see, I'm going to pay a man $3000 to paint my house but I want him to agree he doesn't smoke while doing it. He has the option to take it, or not. Smoking is legal right? Blackmon took it and he took the money then violated the behavioral clause. Pay the penalty!

In my company the standard integrity statement was; "If you don't want it plastered on the front page of the newspaper then don't do it!"

Regards........................the Chiefjag
exactly.