Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell would be "relatively surprised" if Blackmon plays next season

Quote:When you accept a contract you agree to the stipulations of the contract which in this case includes a behavioral clause. If you don't want to agree to the behavioral clause then don't sign it.

Let's see, I'm going to pay a man $3000 to paint my house but I want him to agree he doesn't smoke while doing it. He has the option to take it, or not. Smoking is legal right? Blackmon took it and he took the money then violated the behavioral clause. Pay the penalty!

In my company the standard integrity statement was; "If you don't want it plastered on the front page of the newspaper then don't do it!"

Regards........................the Chiefjag

What we're dealing with is you tell the guy he cant smoke on his own time on the weekend. And that exact thing is already happening and its morally objectionable. EMPLOYERS should not have such controls over their employees on their own time. It enslaves us all to the whims of employment contracts. We used to believe that certain elements of life were restricted from the employer. That's why we ended child labor, company stores and enacted work restrictions (overtime), FMLA, and the ADA. Because employment is not ownership we legally ended many of those evils and garnered protections for the working class. Now we're seeing the working class dissolved in the name of bigger profits for the management and share holders. This Blackmon thing is just one small and insignificant battle in that fight for the rights of you and me against the big money that wants to simply wring us out for the lowest possible operating cost and then, when we have nothing left to give, cast us to curb.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No. What we're dealing with is an contract employee who is a representative of the league. As a representative of the league he is expected to conduct himself in a manner which represents the league in a positive light. If you don't represent yourself in a positive light then you become a member which brings down the rest of the members. The entire NFLPAA suffers when one of them represents the union, and league, as a bum.

If you can drink at home without driving or getting your tail in the news then that's acting responsibly, whether it's on league time or your time. But if you're on your time, and being stupid, you're still representing the league, and the Union.

He signed a contract right? He joined the NFLPA union right? He cashed the checks from the Jags right? He's suspended because he's in violation. What's the difficulty of understanding this?

Regards......................the Chiefjag

Quote:No. What we're dealing with is an contract employee who is a representative of the league. As a representative of the league he is expected to conduct himself in a manner which represents the league in a positive light. If you don't represent yourself in a positive light then you become a member which brings down the rest of the members. The entire NFLPAA suffers when one of them represents the union, and league, as a bum.

If you can drink at home without driving or getting your tail in the news then that's acting responsibly, whether it's on league time or your time. But if you're on your time, and being stupid, you're still representing the league, and the Union.

He signed a contract right? He joined the NFLPA union right? He cashed the checks from the Jags right? He's suspended because he's in violation. What's the difficulty of understanding this?

The difficulty is that its unreasonable and more and more organizations are pushing these types or regulations to those of us who DON'T make millions of dollars to put up with it. It's a vast and slippery slope. AND just because something is legal certainly doesn't make it moral. Heck, even willing participation doesn't make it moral. Many people believed (rightly) that they benefited from Indentured Servitude but we still outlawed it.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I'd be real interested in knowing what organizations are pushing these regulations on those who don't make millions of dollars? And which organizations are doing this to NON-CONTRACT employees?

When you provide these I might agree with you.

Quote:I'd be real interested in knowing what organizations are pushing these regulations on those who don't make millions of dollars? And which organizations are doing this to NON-CONTRACT employees?

Thats easy, one of my former employers (a hospital) would do random alcohol and drug screenings on its employees. Even if you were within a legal range now they could fire you for having drank on the last weekend (when you weren't working). A nurse on one of my wifes unit was accused of looking 'dopey', they took him off during the shift for drug testing, he was gone/off the unit for 3 weeks (apparently he tested negative, but still was forced out for 3 weeks), and he only was there for 2 more months before he ended up 'quitting'. 

If you don't think big brother tactics are trickling down to everyone, you just aren't in touch with the modern large corporation. Despite being a supposed 'at will' employee they will fire you for all kinds of things not related to your job or on their time, and not illegal either. Indeed, labor laws protections for employees are very lax in favor of business (especially in this state).

Now I don't necessarily think that's all bad, after all we need business, but I definitely don't have a very high opinion of some of the biggest corporations here in our home country. GE not only doesn't pay any taxes, but it gets a big refund from the taxes it doesn't pay.

I don't expect you to know about these things, Chief, as a small business owner, but  the NWO/ big brother conspiracy theorists are much closer to right than those who just believe media hype that we as a nation are just like we used to be.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:I'd be real interested in knowing what organizations are pushing these regulations on those who don't make millions of dollars? And which organizations are doing this to NON-CONTRACT employees?

I have a good friend who was hired by deutsche bank and then fired days later when his interview drug test came back with a trace of marijuana.  

This was in NYC where marijuana is indeed still illegal but severely de-criminalized.  Not the perfect example I know - but I found it somewhat relevant to your discussion.  He had no contract and was set to make around $120K annually. 

My organization, the largest local private employer in Northeast Florida (~10k employees), instituted a new policy this year that says if you don't get a flu shot you may not report to work and if you don't report to work you are "voluntarily forfeiting" your position. How it's legal for an employer to force an employee to violate HIPAA by revealing a personal medical state I still don't quite understand. I expect at least one lawsuit this fall. .This policy also applies to contracted employees (like IT) who are onsite as little as 1 instance during their employment

As for fired for being a smoker:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/27...09915.html

Or hiring discrimination based on it:

http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2012/06/detroit_medical_center_is_late.

Basically, you don't belong to you, you belong to your employer. Once the whole pot thing gets real momentum we'll have dozens of high profile cases that will inevitably take more rights away from us and give them to employer or government.

And let me restate it: I don't care if Blackmon gets tossed out if he breaks the law again. No employer should have the power to force abstention from a legal non-work related activity.

Quote:I have a good friend who was hired by deutsche bank and then fired days later when his interview drug test came back with a trace of marijuana.  

This was in NYC where marijuana is indeed still illegal but severely de-criminalized.  Not the perfect example I know - but I found it somewhat relevant to your discussion.  He had no contract and was set to make around $120K annually. 
Was his termination for drug use or for making a false statement about his use of drugs?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Was his termination for drug use or for making a false statement about his use of drugs?
Not sure.  I think the former.

Quote:And let me restate it: I don't care if Blackmon gets tossed out if he breaks the law again. No employer should have the power to force abstention from a legal non-work related activity.
1)  The NFL did not have the right to prevent JB from drinking when he came into the league.  

2)  This clause only became effective after his second violation.  

3)  The NFLPA approves of and supports this policy.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

As chief said, if you don't like then you don't have to sign the contract. That is entirely in your right.....but if you do sign the contract then you can't get upset about any penalties you may be subjected to if you violate that contract.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:1)  The NFL did not have the right to prevent JB from drinking when he came into the league.  

2)  This clause only became effective after his second violation.  

3)  The NFLPA approves of and supports this policy.

It doesn't matter, you should not be able to sign away your rights in exchange for employment. The law ought to protect the workers from such heinous employer overreach. Just wait until the college kids get their unions up and running, all hell is gonna break loose.

Quote:As chief said, if you don't like then you don't have to sign the contract. That is entirely in your right.....but if you do sign the contract then you can't get upset about any penalties you may be subjected to if you violate that contract.

And we have numerous forbidden business practices that don't even make it into the market anymore. Controlling the out of the office personal time of an employee engaged in a LEGAL activity MUST be off the table, else we are simply wage slaves, beholden those who would subjugate us to their own desires. Or eventually we all end up like the Mozilla CEO, targeted and eliminated in the name of special interests without regard to individual rights.

Quote:It doesn't matter, you should not be able to sign away your rights in exchange for employment. The law ought to protect the workers from such heinous employer overreach. Just wait until the college kids get their unions up and running, all hell is gonna break loose.

And we have numerous forbidden business practices that don't even make it into the market anymore. Controlling the out of the office personal time of an employee engaged in a LEGAL activity MUST be off the table, else we are simply wage slaves, beholden those who would subjugate us to their own desires. Or eventually we all end up like the Mozilla CEO, targeted and eliminated in the name of special interests without regard to individual rights.

Do we know for sure Blackmon is suspended because of alcohol? We can't assume anything based on past history.

What if he's suspended for missing a random drug test? He agreed to random drug testing in his contract

What if he's suspended for a failed drug test?

People are assuming it's alcohol. There was no incident around the current suspension that would confirm that. Only speculation. If the suspension was inappropriate, the NFLPA would have raised cane in response. Nobody is challenging the suspension. So, why are you as a fan doing so?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014, 10:26 PM by Jinjo.)

Its pretty sad we live in a world where testing positive for weed gets you suspended over a year but killing somone when driving while drunk allows you to be reinstated after one year no problem. 

Quote:Its pretty sad we live in a world where testing positive for weed gets you suspended over a year but killing somone when driving while drunk allows you to be reinstated after one year no problem.

When it's strike 3, it's strike 3 regardless of what the substance is. We don't live in this world. This is the world negotiated between the owners and players of the NFL.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bro are you really arguing that smoking weed is worse than killing someone while driving drunk? 

Quote:Bro are you really arguing that smoking weed is worse than killing someone while driving drunk?

No. I'm not arguing at all.

Quote:When it's strike 3, it's strike 3 regardless of what the substance is. We don't live in this world. This is the world negotiated between the owners and players of the NFL.
True. Good thing it's strike 2.  Dare I say "ONLY"?

You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:True. Good thing it's strike 2.  Dare I say "ONLY"?

Indefinite suspension isn't strike 2.