Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell will be on with Dempsey and Prisco at 11:35 today on 1010xl

If an OT is the notably best player left on the board and there is no trade down to recoup that value I don't see why Caldwell wouldn't take an OT. It's the only sensible thing to do. If you don't take the guy then you're essentially operating like Shack Harris did and taking worse players just because you want to fill roster slots. The first round of the draft isn't about filling roster slots, it's about amassing elite talent.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[Image: BaSm_2PCEAA8Qzt.png-large.png]

Quote:People said the same last year and the we selected Joeckel. There's been hints on this happening for weeks. The possibility of it happening is greater than people seem to want to give credit for. Caldwell has been very transparent the past 2 years. No reason to put your head in the sand now.

Last year Joeckel and Fisher were probably the only "elite" prospects.  This year is much different, with actual legit talent at the top.

We had to pick Joeckel, noone else was worth it.  

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

It is much different this year, but there's always a possibility the team goes with another tackle. It's not like there isn't a guy that's been projected to be in the top 3. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:O'Halloran blog on Manziel being the most ready of the QB class.

http://members.jacksonville.com/opinion/...-ready-qbs
Ok I wanted to see the full statement 

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">“Johnny would probably be the one guy you could plug in there sooner rather than later just because his style of play isn’t going to change much from Year 1 to Year 2,” Caldwell said.

I agree with that, just people posting he said he is the most ready to play is not telling the full story
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote: 

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">“Johnny would probably be the one guy you could plug in there sooner rather than later just because his style of play isn’t going to change much from Year 1 to Year 2,” Caldwell said.

<div>I agree with that, just people posting he said he is the most ready to play is not telling the full story

</div>

People pretty much hear what they want to hear, then filter out the rest.  So, what they heard was highlighted above.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2014, 03:47 PM by J-Mizzal.)

Quote:It is much different this year, but there's always a possibility the team goes with another tackle. It's not like there isn't a guy that's been projected to be in the top 3. 
Its 7 rounds an we have multiple picks in the 7 rounds, just because he values RT doesnt mean he is gonna use it in the 1st round, he values pass rushers, CB's, DT, QBs, and play makers. 

Like has been said last year there were only 2 elite players in the draft, this year its a lot more, this year if it comes down to elite RT or elite WR or pass rusher or QB, he is not gonna pick the T since we a have two solid young guys at those spots unlike the other positions.

I thought this statement was interesting:

Quote:*Bradley said he has exchanged text messages with suspended receiver Justin Blackmon, but Caldwell said he has not heard from the league about the reinstatement process.

You'd think someone somewhere would know at least when Blackmon would be able to apply for reinstatement.  On the radio interview this morning, Caldwell made a similar comment about that being a league thing. 

I think it's safe to assume Blackmon more than likely won't be available to the team (outside of the preseason) until probably week 9 of the season.  It would be nice to get him back sooner, but I just don't think they'll let him off with less than a year suspension.

Quote:Its 7 rounds an we have multiple picks in the 7 rounds, just because he values RT doesnt mean he is gonna use it in the 1st round, he values pass rushers, CB's, DT, QBs, and play makers. 

Like has been said last year there were only 2 elite players in the draft, this year its a lot more, this year if it comes down to elite RT or elite WR or pass rusher or QB, he is not gonna pick the T since we a have two solid young guys at those spots unlike the other positions.

We'll see.  A lot of maneuvering is going to happen over the next week.  If they're already talking to 2 teams about a possible trade, I don't think you can say with any certainty which direction they'll go.  There are positions where they probably won't be looking to make a move in the first round, but OT isn't off that list, IMO.

Quote:If we go OL in the top 3 picks for 2 years straight I can only imagine the camera shot of the viewing party on draft night.

Lots of groans, sure.  It's not sexy, but a good offense needs a good OL.  I think Dave knows what he's doing.  If he's anxious to grab Mack or Watkins at #3, then he's pretty sure it's a home run pick.  If he's "forced" to pick at #3, who knows?  He may lean toward the safe pick again.  The talent at OT seems to equal the value with little downside.  Even Clowney is much more of a risk than one of the OTs 

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2014, 03:53 PM by Haterade.)

I do think Joeckel/Matthews would be a studly duo as they were at TAMU, but we still lack a QB and outside receivers

Quote: 

<div>I agree with that, just people posting he said he is the most ready to play is not telling the full story

</div>

I first saw it on Twitter and thats where I originally posted about it from.  They left out the rest, obviously, and now it all makes sense.

Quote:Lots of groans, sure.  It's not sexy, but a good offense needs a good OL.  I think Dave knows what he's doing.  If he's anxious to grab Mack or Watkins at #3, then he's pretty sure it's a home run pick.  If he's "forced" to pick at #3, who knows?  He may lean toward the safe pick again.  The talent at OT seems to equal the value with little downside.  Even Clowney is much more of a risk than one of the OTs 

Caldwell doesnt come off as a safe drafter, last year he had to pick a LT, for one they were the only elite players in a weak draft, and we had a LT in the final year of his deal, KC did the same thing in the same situation. 

The rest of Caldwell picks none I would call safe picks, he seems like the kinda of guy to pick the players he wants and his coach wants, look at the DBs he picked all fit Gus Bradley system.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM by pirkster.)

If at all possible, they're wanting an impact player.

Head and shoulders above all, that guy is Clowney.  They've stated they're willing to trade up, but that's unlikely given our position (others have more to offer) and being in-division with the Texans.

So, that leaves Mack and Watkins as their preferred two if Clowney is gone.

They also would like more picks.  So, depending on where they can trade down to that brings RT and possibly Manziel into play.  But, only with a trade down.

They've been extremely transparent that this is their probable roadmap.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

And also remember what Caldwell said:

"With this QB class, I think they're going to need a little bit of seasoning and to sit back and watch for a little bit"

Since they would prefer an impact player, we won't be selecting a QB with #3.  Only if we trade down, or back up into the bottom of the first.

Maybe Matthews could be in play if we swap picks with Atlanta.  Do the Falcons want Mack?  They already have good WRs. 

I do like QB A. Murray in the 3rd if he's there.  Caldwell talked about he and Gus discussing what they'd do if one of their targeted players is gone before they projected it.  Wonder who it was.

Quote:He's been adamant saying he won't smokescreen. But I don't believe that.

So he's lying about not lying?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2014, 05:05 PM by bleedingteal.)

Quote:So he's lying about not lying?
Haha I have no idea.

I think you have to smokescreen some. You can't like every prospect.

Quote:Maybe Matthews could be in play if we swap picks with Atlanta.  Do the Falcons want Mack?  They already have good WRs. 

I do like QB A. Murray in the 3rd if he's there.  Caldwell talked about he and Gus discussing what they'd do if one of their targeted players is gone before they projected it.  Wonder who it was.

I'd expect that if they want a pass rusher as badly as they seem to, they might be willing to jump up to get Mack if they can't get to Clowney.

I would be VERY surprised if Dave picks a QB or OT at #3........however, if we find a trading partner to move back some, then Mathews and Manziel or Bortles becomes a distinct possibility.