Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell will be on with Dempsey and Prisco at 11:35 today on 1010xl

Quote:I do think Joeckel/Matthews would be a studly duo as they were at TAMU, but we still lack a QB and outside receivers

Good thing this draft is loaded with good outside receivers. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not sure they are so needy for a pass rusher after spending a lot of guaranteed money on the DL.  Besides, Mack is an ideal 3-4 OLB.  They won't trade up for Clowney.  If anything's a smoke screen, it's a possible trade-UP scenario.  Dave isn't going to give up high picks in a deep draft to move up 2 spots.  They will build the offense and maybe take a LB fairly high, but I don't see a lot of picks used on defense.  It's time to invest in offensive talent. 

Quote:Not sure they are so needy for a pass rusher after spending a lot of guaranteed money on the DL.  Besides, Mack is an ideal 3-4 OLB.  They won't trade up for Clowney.  If anything's a smoke screen, it's a possible trade-UP scenario.  Dave isn't going to give up high picks in a deep draft to move up 2 spots.  They will build the offense and maybe take a LB fairly high, but I don't see a lot of picks used on defense.  It's time to invest in offensive talent. 

If the Texans take someone other than Clowney, it's a sure bet they'll try.

Again, the problem will be that others probably have more ammo.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

The greatest smokescreen right now is the truth......so you never know

Maziel: Athletic QB who can create plays in and outside the pocket.  He is an improviser very much like Russel Wilson. 

Bridgewater: A pocket passer.  Decent arm and very accurate.  My main concern is he is built like a 12 year old boy. I worry what a few hits from a 260+ pound defensive linemen will do to his small frame. 

I don't know much about Bortles. From the footage I have seen he reminds me of a Ben Rothlesburger

I would not be too upset with a Manziel pick.  I hope to trade down

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

This was from the draft luncheon press conference:

http://prod.video.jaguars.clubs.nfl.com/...r-1450.mp4

From what I gathered trading back is still the most ideal scenario.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

6 days to go. I think I'm good with just about any pick they take. I don't think they will take a qb, so that alleviates a lot of my worries. My biggest worry is Watkins. I really really want someone to talk me into liking that pick, but I just don't. Not this draft which is littered with WRs. I can't seem to make myself like him at #3. I think I would personally be happiest with Mack or Matthews at this point. Whoever the guy is, I'll be cheering him on come September though.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:6 days to go. I think I'm good with just about any pick they take. I don't think they will take a qb, so that alleviates a lot of my worries. My biggest worry is Watkins. I really really want someone to talk me into liking that pick, but I just don't. Not this draft which is littered with WRs. I can't seem to make myself like him at #3. I think I would personally be happiest with Mack or Matthews at this point. Whoever the guy is, I'll be cheering him on come September though.

If Watkins translates to a Percy Harvin type playmaker, without the baggage, would you be ok with Watkins?

If I told you his rookie stat line would look like 60 catches for 900 yards, 40 rushes for 200 yards and 8 total TDs would that be ok?

And that's with Henne at QB btw.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

@ryanohalloran Looked back at last year -- Caldwell said "10-12" guys were off board because of injuries/character; said 36 next week are. #Jaguars

https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status...5639652352

Percy Harvin type of receiver doesn't worth No. 3 overall pick. I feel Watkins is a much better receiver. I prefer Mack if he's available, or trade down.

Quote:If Watkins translates to a Percy Harvin type playmaker, without the baggage, would you be ok with Watkins?

If I told you his rookie stat line would look like 60 catches for 900 yards, 40 rushes for 200 yards and 8 total TDs would that be ok?

And that's with Henne at QB btw.

Quote:Percy Harvin type of receiver doesn't worth No. 3 overall pick. I feel Watkins is a much better receiver. I prefer Mack if he's available, or trade down.
What player if any would you compare Mack to?

Caldwell and co. has proven to be a pretty transparent group when it comes to these draft luncheons.

Here are some notes from last years luncheon a week before the draft:

Quote:Some news nuggets and observations:

*Caldwell he would “surprised,” if the Jaguars don’t stay put and make the second pick. He’s know that for quite some time. This draft certainly doesn’t lend itself to getting great value for trading out of the top five.

*The Jaguars’ draft philosophy, per Caldwell: “The best available that fits a need.” Him and Bradley got their lines of communication mixed up a little bit – Gus was saying, “best available player,” but this Caldwell’s draft and he says he drafts based on need.

*Caldwell: “We won’t be able to meet our needs and we understand that.”

*The Jaguars value the right tackle position because of the pass rushers in the AFC. Even if they draft an offensive tackle No. 2, Eugene Monroe would remain on the left side. Caldwell confirmed what he’s said for months – he won’t extend deals of current players until after the season. That includes Monroe and Maurice Jones-Drew.

*Bradley has had defensive coaches evaluate offensive players and vice versa to get more opinions. Bradley said that was how Jon Gruden and Pete Carroll also operated.

*The Jaguars have removed 10-12 players from their draft board because of character issues.

*Bradley stressed the important of building up the offensive and defensive lines. That wasn’t much of a tell in letting us know who they were going to take.

*Bradley: “I guess we don’t have a strong safety. We don’t have anybody there.” Hello, draft need.

*The Jaguars didn’t pursue Seattle quarterback Matt Flynn in a trade because they didn’t want to trade any current or future draft picks.

*Caldwell anticipates interest in the Jaguars’ No. 33 pick to start second round. “I hope so,” he said.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2013-04-22/jags-pre-draft-philosophy-best-available-fits-need'>http://m.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2013-04-22/jags-pre-draft-philosophy-best-available-fits-need</a>

For those screaming "smokescreen" what did he "smokescreen" about last year?

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2014, 06:56 AM by Vicbow Rules.)

If Caldwell is being legit about 2 teams being in contact with Jags about trading up, and if one of those trans turns out to be the Cowboys, I would be in heaven with those extra picks. I would have to go get one of those draft books to familiarize myself with guys who are outside the top ten!
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:If Caldwell is being legit about 2 teams being in contact with Jags about trading up, and if one of those trans turns out to be the Cowboys, I would be in heaven with those extra picks. I would have to go get one of those draft books to familiarize myself with guys who are outside the top ten!

I don't think the Cowboys can do it.  They'd have to trade so many high picks to get up to #3, if they have a lick of sense they would not invest that many picks in one player. 

Knarnn just dropped some knowledge!

Quote:I don't think the Cowboys can do it. They'd have to trade so many high picks to get up to #3, if they have a lick of sense they would not invest that many picks in one player.
Unless they feel they are one player away. Similar to what Atlanta did, and what Washington thought they were doing

Quote:Unless they feel they are one player away. Similar to what Atlanta did, and what Washington thought they were doing

How many years in a row have they gone 8-8?   How can they think they are one player away?   I agree with you, I would love to get a huge haul of draft picks from Dallas, kind of a reverse Herschel Walker deal, but I can't see it happening.  

Edit: on the other hand, I have read that they are really enamored with Johnny Manziel, so maybe they will lose their mind and do it.  Who knows?  

I'm hoping for a trade back. I can see Mack slipping to number 6,7, 8 or 9[ maybe even 10 :yes:].  Anyways grabbing extra picks plus getting a for sure star in the 1st is a no brainer.

Quote:How many years in a row have they gone 8-8? How can they think they are one player away? I agree with you, I would love to get a huge haul of draft picks from Dallas, kind of a reverse Herschel Walker deal, but I can't see it happening.

Edit: on the other hand, I have read that they are really enamored with Johnny Manziel, so maybe they will lose their mind and do it. Who knows?
My hope is that they do lose their minds lol. I hope they think they're one player away and willing to sell the farm!

Quote:If Caldwell is being legit about 2 teams being in contact with Jags about trading up, and if one of those trans turns out to be the Cowboys, I would be in heaven with those extra picks. I would have to go get one of those draft books to familiarize myself with guys who are outside the top ten!

At 16 some guys I wouldn't mind:

Dennard - CB - Michigan St.

Ha-Ha - S - Alabama

Lewan - OT - Michigan

Barr - LB - UCLA

Bortles - QB - UCF

Sua'Filo - OG - UCLA

Mosley - LB - Bama