Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Some Love From Vic

Quote:He also said Beanie Wells was going to be a stud Ninja

Didn't he use to gush over Jimmy Clausen 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Didn't he use to gush over Jimmy Clausen

Means nothing. A lot of people gushed over the ND 2nd Team All American QB..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Did he ever say that Beanie was a stud? I do recall him saying several times that he believed Gene would have picked Wells had Monroe not been on the board.

Yeah.

He had him going top-5, and he recommended the Jaguars taking him if he fell far enough. 

Quote:Didn't he use to gush over Jimmy Clausen 

Wells I remember. Not Clausen though.

;

;

Vic was a Rust Belt, Big Ten guy.

His favorite prospects were always guys from the Big Ten and Pittsburgh.

;

;

Quote:He also said Beanie Wells was going to be a stud Ninja
Very valid point.  You can study the game films, the pro days, interviews, etc and still be wrong on a guy.  Its a gamble.

Quote:Not as much as tossing a "YaKnow" or "KnowWhatI'mSaying" in every few words.
If this woman over the wall of my cubicle says "see what I'm sayin'" once she says it 100 times throughout the day. I've had to restrain myself from climbing the 6-foot partition and choking her, daily.

See what I'm sayin'?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:So u'd take Ketchman over O-Zone?

Yes. 

Quote:If this woman over the wall of my cubicle says "see what I'm sayin'" once she says it 100 times throughout the day. I've had to restrain myself from climbing the 6-foot partition and choking her, daily.

See what I'm sayin'?

Ya kna I mean, Nene Cherry??

Quote:Yes. 
Vic was cool.  Sorta oldskool. Told us like it was. Oehser tip toes a bit more.  Guess I like Johnny O just a lil more though. #Youngblood

You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:If this woman over the wall of my cubicle says "see what I'm sayin'" once she says it 100 times throughout the day. I've had to restrain myself from climbing the 6-foot partition and choking her, daily.

See what I'm sayin'?
Yo, both Eugene Monroe and Britton would interview with "ya know" like a million times in the interview. But Monroe takes the cake.  Pull up any interview and just count the "ya knows" I swear, you'd probably lose count

You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

See what I'm sayin'?
Yeah, those tics are annoying.  I'd rather listen to a litany of "uhhh"s. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Whoever said, about three pages back, that both Vic and John O are good, just in different ways, is correct.

Vic is more a 1970s kind of guy, while John is much more current. I can't see Vic having a Twitter account, although they probably "urged" him to.

Oh, about the whole pension thing. If I recall correctly, a number of teams in the NFL were moving away from a defined pension plan and also divesting themselves of in-house employees, which is why the broadcasting section was divorced from Jaguars employment and became "private".

Thus Vic looked for the security of a team that offered a pension plan. I think it killed him to have to give up year-round golf for the frozen tundra, but hey, they're the Packers.

And amazingly, Brian Sexton is still with us. 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Pensions are becoming a thing of the past. The company I work for, I have a pension. But it's value right now is about a fourth of what my 401k is worth. I contribute to my 401k and they match up to 6%. In the old days, people retired and lived off their pension and Social Security. Those days are gone. The bubble has burst. When our kids are older they will ask, "what's a pension?".

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2014, 09:54 AM by Jags32250.)

To me, when i read Vic, i feel like he's someone with way more knowledge and history about football than i have and i seem to always learn from him.

Can't say the same for O, i honestly feel i could answer questions, or write articles as well.  I rarely learn anything from him.  There's no substance.  I'd take Vic back in a hearbeat.

Quote:Pensions are becoming a thing of the past. The company I work for, I have a pension. But it's value right now is about a fourth of what my 401k is worth. I contribute to my 401k and they match up to 6%. In the old days, people retired and lived off their pension and Social Security. Those days are gone. The bubble has burst. When our kids are older they will ask, "what's a pension?".

I'd have to ask right now  Ninja

To me, Oesher keeps a much better flow of information running, and I think he is actually better on video and radio than he is in print.

However, I think he often gives the most generalized or PC answers possible to direct and pertinent questions. Yes, I realize he is a team reporter but I feel like he could be just a bit more straight forward and critical at times.

Vic tried to sell Gene Smith as the best evaluator of talent until the bitter end. 

Quote:Vic tried to sell Gene Smith as the best evaluator of talent until the bitter end. 

Whoever writes for the team is going to be positive about whoever is in charge.

Quote:Ketchman initially worked on some little newsprint thing that the Jags and T.U. did together. (he was paid by the TU)  When the Jags actually hired him exclusively (late 1990's) he became the editor of jaguars.com and an online columnist.   

Now think about this.  How many people with the title "website editor and columnist" in 1998 were offered contracts that included a pension plan?   Do you think that was common at that time and at that stage of the internet and the audience it reached?   I sure don't. 

Maybe I recall the late 90's differently, but from my recollection companies and investors were sinking money into every net focused enterprise they could find, it was quite the bubble. Maybe Wayne Weaver and his management team were a lot different, but the idea that a retirement package definitely wouldn't be part of someone's compensation at that point in time is wrong.