Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Some Love From Vic

Quote:Maybe I recall the late 90's differently, but from my recollection companies and investors were sinking money into every net focused enterprise they could find, it was quite the bubble. Maybe Wayne Weaver and his management team were a lot different, but the idea that a retirement package definitely wouldn't be part of someone's compensation at that point in time is wrong.

Just a guess on my part. But Vic probably went from an employee of the team to an independent contractor at some point. Probably lost his benefits package at that point. Just a guess.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Maybe I recall the late 90's differently, but from my recollection companies and investors were sinking money into every net focused enterprise they could find, it was quite the bubble. Maybe Wayne Weaver and his management team were a lot different, but the idea that a retirement package definitely wouldn't be part of someone's compensation at that point in time is wrong.
I disagree.  There were thousands of companies and entities (such as football teams) creating websites for the  first time ever and the people employed to create and manage those sites were commonly treated as sub-contractors or freelancers.  I know this as my brother and a couple of guys I went to college with  were building and managing websites for companies around the southeast at the time.  Some of those companies with impressive gross revenue and plenty of pensioned employees. 

Quote:Just a guess on my part. But Vic probably went from an employee of the team to an independent contractor at some point. Probably lost his benefits package at that point. Just a guess.

I'd say he saw changes coming with the franchise which meant an uncertain future, and took an opportunity of a lifetime that none of us would refuse if we were in his shoes... working for one of the most storied franchises in NFL history that he'll likely retire after his time there, if he does retire.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Just a guess on my part. But Vic probably went from an employee of the team to an independent contractor at some point. Probably lost his benefits package at that point. Just a guess.

He wasn't a contractor.  That much I know.  The radio guys are all independent contractors, but they still rely on the good graces of the team to keep their jobs.  But, Vic was always an employee of the organization. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Today's follow-up:

"Uriah from Marysville, OH

Vic, why do you think the Jags will be the surprise team of the year?

<b>They had a lot of cap room and they used it with a minimum of exposure to acquire a lot of players that represent upgrades at each of their positions. We saw what Toby Gerhart could do in last year’s game against the Vikings at Lambeau Field. I think Ziggy Hood was miscast in Pittsburgh; his talents will be a much better fit in the Jaguars’ 4-3. The Jaguars are beautifully positioned high in the order and with a lot of picks. I also think they have an underrated quarterback. If they hit on their picks, look out."</b>

<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Oh boy.  He thinks Henne is underrated.  Queue the Vic hate!

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2014, 02:52 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Today's follow-up:

They had a lot of cap room and they used it with a minimum of exposure to acquire a lot of players that represent upgrades at each of their positions. We saw what Toby Gerhart could do in last year’s game against the Vikings at Lambeau Field. I think Ziggy Hood was miscast in Pittsburgh; his talents will be a much better fit in the Jaguars’ 4-3. The Jaguars are beautifully positioned high in the order and with a lot of picks. I also think they have an underrated quarterback. If they hit on their picks, look out."
He lost me at "underrated quarterback". Everything else seems spot on.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Today's follow-up:

<b>They had a lot of cap room and they used it with a minimum of exposure to acquire a lot of players that represent upgrades at each of their positions. We saw what Toby Gerhart could do in last year’s game against the Vikings at Lambeau Field. I think Ziggy Hood was miscast in Pittsburgh; his talents will be a much better fit in the Jaguars’ 4-3. The Jaguars are beautifully positioned high in the order and with a lot of picks. I also think they have an underrated quarterback. If they hit on their picks, look out."</b>
I like all the praise Vic, but an underrated quarterback?!? Sick

Quote:Oh boy.  He thinks Henne is underrated.  Queue the Vic hate!

Pitchfork AT THE READY!!!

[Image: 2z4gtif.jpg]

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I don't agree with him either on the 'Henne's an underrated QB' thing.  He's average at best.  However, I think Vic's impartial and knows his football so him saying all that about the Jags is a good thing.  Unless you're TMD.  Nothing the Jaguars do is good, ever.

<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Quote:Oh boy.  He thinks Henne is underrated.  Queue the Vic hate!

Vic always liked Henne and thought the Jaguars should have drafted him. He also hasn't been here to see what he really is.

Heck, I can recall Vic saying he thinks Gabbert just needs some developing.

Quote:Ketchman had no pension with the Jaguars.  I can confirm that beyond any shadow of a doubt.  He does have one with the Packers.

Your crock pot runneth over, FBT.  Do you imagine that what you typed was "confirmation"? 

And how did you intend to confirm something that according to you, never happened? 

Quote:Vic always liked Henne and thought the Jaguars should have drafted him. He also hasn't been here to see what he really is.

You don't think he's seen what Henne has done as a Jaguar?  Vic is a student of the game. I'd be shocked if he wasn't watching Jag games.

Quote:Your crock pot runneth over, FBT.  Do you imagine that what you typed was "confirmation"? 

And how did you intend to confirm something that according to you, never happened? 

I know you're not the sharpest tool in the shed.  I can't help you there.  But, since I actually know the people involved in this discussion, and I know for a fact what the motivation was for him taking the job, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it, unless of course you'd like to try to ask Vic for yourself. 

Quote:Vic always liked Henne and thought the Jaguars should have drafted him. He also hasn't been here to see what he really is.

I remember when Miami drafted Henne, Vic was all over the guy. When you think about how "old school football" Vic is, it kinda makes sense.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:You don't think he's seen what Henne has done as a Jaguar?  Vic is a student of the game. I'd be shocked if he wasn't watching Jag games.

I know you're not the sharpest tool in the shed.  I can't help you there.  But, since I actually know the people involved in this discussion, and I know for a fact what the motivation was for him taking the job, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it, unless of course you'd like to try to ask Vic for yourself. 

I'd be shocked if he does more than watch the highlights.

Besides that Vic isn't a new NFL kind of guy, he insisted for years that Manning was a sissy and that it's all about defense and ball control.

Of course he does understand the importance of the QB, but I don't think he really appreciates what Henne is the way those of us that have watched him the last two seasons do.

There is a reason teams get rid of high 2nd round picks after their rookie contract, and it's not because they're underrated.

Quote:I remember when Miami drafted Henne, Vic was all over the guy. When you think about how "old school football" Vic is, it kinda makes sense.

I do remember Vic basically rubbing it in that we had passed on Henne to take Groves. He was a huge Henne guy.

Big Ten, makes sense

Quote:I know you're not the sharpest tool in the shed.  I can't help you there.  But, since I actually know the people involved in this discussion, and I know for a fact what the motivation was for him taking the job, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it, unless of course you'd like to try to ask Vic for yourself. 

It doesn't actually matter, you see.  The only problem is that you took your tool out of the shed and waved it around.

It wasn't the fact or non-fact of a pension, it was your statement that you had "confirmed " the issue.  Ya didn't.

Or do you believe that saying, "you'll just have to take my word for it" = "confirmation beyond any shadow of a doubt"? 

When you use imprecise language, you only confuse yourself and others. 

Quote:I do remember Vic basically rubbing it in that we had passed on Henne to take Groves. He was a huge Henne guy.

Big Ten, makes sense
Nothing Henne ever does will surpass this gem from Groves:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highl...INT-return

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="FBT" data-cid="187596" data-time="1398971906">
<div>

It doesn't actually matter, you see.  The only problem is that you took your tool out of the shed and waved it around.

It wasn't the fact or non-fact of a pension, it was your statement that you had "confirmed " the issue.  Ya didn't.

Or do you believe that saying, "you'll just have to take my word for it" = "confirmation beyond any shadow of a doubt"? 

When you use imprecise language, you only confuse yourself and others.

</div>
</blockquote>

If it doesn't matter, why does it seem to bother you so much?  Is it because I actually spoke to the people involved, and have some insight here?  Is that is your issue? 

I haven't used "imprecise language" here.  I've been pretty specific in my point.  The only one confused here is you. 

It's funny because I just had an opportunity to speak to the other person who was privy to this conversation about 3 weeks ago, and the subject of Vic leaving came up again, and his point was that it was a shame we had to lose him, but covering the Packers is something Vic couldn't turn down, AND he really needed to buckle down on his retirement as he wasn't getting any younger, and the Packers had the additional incentive of a pension plan that wasn't offered here.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to validate that for you, but if you don't believe it, feel free to click the ignore button on my posts because otherwise you're just going to have to suffer your skepticism.

Quote:I don't agree with him either on the 'Henne's an underrated QB' thing.  He's average at best.  However, I think Vic's impartial and knows his football so him saying all that about the Jags is a good thing.  Unless you're TMD.  Nothing the Jaguars do is good, ever.
Considering a lot of people rate Henne somewhere along the lines of "barely better than Gabbert" I would say that makes him underrated.