Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Some Love From Vic

Quote:Considering a lot of people rate Henne somewhere along the lines of "barely better than Gabbert" I would say that makes him underrated.
If you go on the assumption that he actually is average. All of his results in the league put him quite below average as a starter in this era.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Heck, I can recall Vic saying he thinks Gabbert just needs some developing.
As much as Vic despised the notion that he was a "company man", even sending those who accused him of such to the Ask Vic Hall of Fame, there are still some lines he didn't cross. Calling the QB that the team had invested a top-ten pick (and a second-round pick) in a year ago what he was--an abject failure--was one of them. He was very rarely a harsh critic of any one player, or a persistent critic of the coaching staff, usually deflecting such questions. I don't doubt that the guy had stronger opinions than what he would write, but was aware of how it would look if the Jaguars' website was calling Gabbert a bust in his second training camp or openly suggesting that Del Rio should be fired. Even if Weaver never told him to walk on eggshells, Vic was certainly aware of how other sports outlets, particularly in the digital age, would pick up the story, run with it, and cause headaches for everyone involved. As I recall, he particularly detested PFT because Florio was not a journalist and would routinely run stories with no fact-checking or source verification in the interest of getting to be the guy who broke it.

Of course, in Vic's defense with Gabbert, Vic lived through an era of football where quarterbacks would routinely sit for 3-5 years before taking over as the starter. These days, if a highly-drafted QB sits for three years behind a vet, he's a bust (remember when that word was being tossed around about Aaron Rodgers?). If Gabbert had been allowed to ride the pine behind Garrard for three years, his career might have turned out differently. Might not have, who knows, but Vic saying that a young Gabbert needed more seasoning certainly wasn't something I would mark up to pure company man-ism.

Quote:He lost me at "underrated quarterback". Everything else seems spot on.

He was one of Garrard's biggest fans.  So, maybe he sees them as not all that much different. 

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:As much as Vic despised the notion that he was a "company man", even sending those who accused him of such to the Ask Vic Hall of Fame, there are still some lines he didn't cross. Calling the QB that the team had invested a top-ten pick (and a second-round pick) in a year ago what he was--an abject failure--was one of them. He was very rarely a harsh critic of any one player, or a persistent critic of the coaching staff, usually deflecting such questions. I don't doubt that the guy had stronger opinions than what he would write, but was aware of how it would look if the Jaguars' website was calling Gabbert a bust in his second training camp or openly suggesting that Del Rio should be fired. Even if Weaver never told him to walk on eggshells, Vic was certainly aware of how other sports outlets, particularly in the digital age, would pick up the story, run with it, and cause headaches for everyone involved. As I recall, he particularly detested PFT because Florio was not a journalist and would routinely run stories with no fact-checking or source verification in the interest of getting to be the guy who broke it.

Of course, in Vic's defense with Gabbert, Vic lived through an era of football where quarterbacks would routinely sit for 3-5 years before taking over as the starter. These days, if a highly-drafted QB sits for three years behind a vet, he's a bust (remember when that word was being tossed around about Aaron Rodgers?). If Gabbert had been allowed to ride the pine behind Garrard for three years, his career might have turned out differently. Might not have, who knows, but Vic saying that a young Gabbert needed more seasoning certainly wasn't something I would mark up to pure company man-ism.

You're forgetting he has to rely on the very persons you think he should criticize relentlessly. Not a lot of players are going to willing to him a good interview if he's ripping them to shreds every other day.

Quote:I'm not sure how I'm supposed to validate that for you
Exactly.  You should not have to...except that you claimed that you already did validate it, which was false.  Do you understand that?

You can just say it, without claiming that you have proved it.  That's the part that makes you a 361.31.

Quote:Today's follow-up:

"Uriah from Marysville, OH

Vic, why do you think the Jags will be the surprise team of the year?

<b>They had a lot of cap room and they used it with a minimum of exposure to acquire a lot of players that represent upgrades at each of their positions. We saw what Toby Gerhart could do in last year’s game against the Vikings at Lambeau Field. I think Ziggy Hood was miscast in Pittsburgh; his talents will be a much better fit in the Jaguars’ 4-3. The Jaguars are beautifully positioned high in the order and with a lot of picks. I also think they have an underrated quarterback. If they hit on their picks, look out."</b>
Oh I miss reading Vic everyday, has it really been 3+ years?

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Oh I miss reading Vic everyday, has it really been 3+ years?
4+ years. IIRC Vic left in January 2010.

He was definitely here when they took Alualu

Quote:Considering a lot of people rate Henne somewhere along the lines of "barely better than Gabbert" I would say that makes him underrated.

This.  And I gotta feeling that's what Vic meant too.  Saying a guy is underrated when some people on here are calling him the worst QB to ever play the game is not the same as saying he's an all-Pro.  Big Grin

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Well Henne does suck.  

I hate when people say Henne is "mediocre" or something like that.

Mediocre means he should rank about in the middle of the pack in the most important statistical categories.

He's one of the worst starting QBs in the league.  Maybe not THE worst, but one of the worst.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Well Henne does suck.  

I hate when people say Henne is "mediocre" or something like that.

Mediocre means he should rank about in the middle of the pack in the most important statistical categories.

He's one of the worst starting QBs in the league.  Maybe not THE worst, but one of the worst.

He's definitely near the bottom.

I think that is why we will take a QB fairly early...

Quote:I think that is why we will take a QB fairly early...
2nd round yes. Not in the 1st.

Quote:2nd round yes. Not in the 1st.

Ive thought the same thing at first, but a trade back into the late first is possible if one of the top 3 is there.

Ozone is entertaining, but I learned more about the game and history of the game from Vic than anyone or any source in my life. I tune into Vic in the off-season when the questions aren't as packer-specific, but it's just not as interesting during the season because I really don't care about the packers.
We are Jaguars.

Quote:LOL. Yes and I have one set up through a union. Just as I'm suggesting Vic may have. Is there some gold standard out there that says NFL teams hiring website editors in 1990-something were supposed to establish a pension for them?? I don't think so. That is why I suggest he may have done it the way thousands of freelance journalists do it. Through a union pension fund.

He worked for the Jags for 16 years and left of his own accord for a better job. I fail to see how he was wronged by Weaver.

I gotcha. I guess we might just having differing ideological stances which is a different conversation. I just feel that in terms of a multimillion dollar entity; a form of retirement is very easy to set up for your media machine if you will. No he is not required but to see we are in a time where people can't set up away to retire solely through their employer is dispicable to me.

Quote:I gotcha. I guess we might just having differing ideological stances which is a different conversation. I just feel that in terms of a multimillion dollar entity; a form of retirement is very easy to set up for your media machine if you will. No he is not required but to see we are in a time where people can't set up away to retire solely through their employer is dispicable to me.

Who said there wasn't a way to set up a retirement through the Jaguars?  I would imagine a 401(k) program exists. And even if it doesn't for employees of the team, since when is it required that an employer has to be responsible for setting up a retirement program for an employee?  People can go out and set their own up without dealing with an employer.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I gotcha. I guess we might just having differing ideological stances which is a different conversation. I just feel that in terms of a multimillion dollar entity; a form of retirement is very easy to set up for your media machine if you will. No he is not required but to see we are in a time where people can't set up away to retire solely through their employer is dispicable to me.
:thumbsup:

Our ideological stance on it probably isn't that far apart at all.  I was trying to assert that Vic's job description kind of fell into "freelancer's purgatory" as far as certain benefits are concerned. There was little to no precedent for his position - what it would entail - and what benefits he may receive from his employer (that previously had no such position)

As FBT mentioned - I'd bet he was given some options about withholding some of his salary toward a 401K - but he apparently was offered no "funded" pension plan.  It's likely his salary was enough to make arrangements for his future while living comfortably. 

Quote: :thumbsup:

Our ideological stance on it probably isn't that far apart at all.  I was trying to assert that Vic's job description kind of fell into "freelancer's purgatory" as far as certain benefits are concerned. There was little to no precedent for his position - what it would entail - and what benefits he may receive from his employer (that previously had no such position)

As FBT mentioned - I'd bet he was given some options about withholding some of his salary toward a 401K - but he apparently was offered no "funded" pension plan.  It's likely his salary was enough to make arrangements for his future while living comfortably. 

He made numerous references to his 401k so I'm positive he at least had that.

Ill take it.