Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Top 10 American Musicians of All Time

Quote:Not to be confrontational, but does it really matter? I'm not sure how the op meant it. But as long as they from 'Murcia, it's all good. Right?

No, it's okay.   I just thought the topic, Top 10 American Musicians of All Time, was interesting and I am interested in the answers people might give.  That's all.   You can post what you want. 

Parenthetically, I think the band, Van Halen, pretty much sucks, but I do think Eddie Van Halen is a hugely talented guitarist.  So I'm not naming my favorite band there, I just saying this guy can really play the guitar. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 10:06 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Yeah, it went off the rails in the first post. 

TMD wanted to put Wham!
 on his list, but someone pointed out this is a 'murican list, so he was extremely disappointed. 

...says the guy above that apparently knows Wham well enough that they have the exclamation point at the end of their name Laughing

You just gave yourself away there, Wham-fan... hahaha

Apostrophe?   :blink:

Quote:Apostrophe? :blink:

Keep in mind, that was also after the edit..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:2. Michael Jackson

10. Kurt Cobain/Nirvana

It's hard to find someone more overrated than Kurt Cobain.

As for Jackson, the best of his solo work can be credited to his Quincy Jones collaborations.  He never did produce the same quality work without him.

To me, Prince deserves more credit than both as a musician.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 10:09 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Apostrophe?   :blink:

Quote:Keep in mind, that was also after the edit..

haha shut up, so I had a brain - [BAD WORD REMOVED]

Quote:It's hard to find someone more overrated than Kurt Cobain.

As for Jackson, the best of his solo work can be credited to his Quincy Jones collaborations.  He never did produce the same quality work without him.

To me, Prince deserves more credit than both as a musician.

I agree Prince is underrated. I didn't like all of his stuff, but there was some good ones. He's also a very good guitarist. 

I disagree that Cobain is overrated, but then again, I can't expect everyone to "get" his work. 

Quote:I disagree that Cobain is overrated, but then again, I can't expect everyone to "get" his work. 

There's nothing to "get", other than he mimicked the sound of other Seattle musicians to sell his sorry, sad outlook that he eventually ended his life over.

His death made his legend, not his music.  Like Axl, he would have faded off into obscurity if he were still around today.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Why, why why should Elvis be there?? Why? 
Elvis Aron Presley.

The very first American artist to sucessfully combine / cross over from hillbilly/country/rock-a-billy,R&B and gospel to rock and roll.

The first wide released record was produced and recorded in 1954 by Sam Phillips at Sun Records in Memphis.

"That's Alright Mama" was first played on WHBQ by Dewey Philips and it was off to the races.

Elvis performed locally in the Mid-South Area, Tennessee,Arkansas,Mississippi in the beginning and spread out to Louisiana with performances on the Louisiana HayRide Radio program on KWKH in Shreveport, La.

The Hayride exposure ignited his career as he toured with Mother Maybelle and the Carter Sisters, Ferlin Husky, Johnny Cash, Slim Whitman. He was paid $30.00 per show. Union Scale in 1956/7.

Presley actually bombed on the Grand Ole Opry a couple of weeks before he first appeared on The Hayride.

As local stations played his records throughout the South, his popularity soared as his records began to be played on more and more rock and roll stations nationwide.

News reels that played before movies (Movietone, etc) showed films of his performances and this was the exposure plus county fairs that exploded in 1956 when he first appeared on Ed Sullivans"Toast of the Town"

TMD, I grew up in Memphis and my family has been in Broadcasting for over 65 years.

What you may not be aware of is that Elvis was an extremely talented musician who worked with some of the best songwriters music has ever known.

Many, Many, Many of the songs he sang, he co-wrote, but gave credit to Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis (his cousin), and many others so they got credit and a small pittance of the rewards.

1/4 of 1 penny for each record sold, minus expenses and believe me RCA which had his contrract by now was creative with expenses.

Elvis was just as explosive as the Beatles, the Beatles were heavily influenced by his music and that of BB King, Howlin Wolf and other R&B and R&R artists.

He layed the foundation for the Beatles and the British Invasion, but first there was the Memphis invasion. Elvis was the single driving force that exploded Top 40 format onto radio stations across this Nation.

Only because I lived through that period am I knowledegble of the Titanic influence he exerted over the music scene from 1956 on.

Not even the Rat Pack or Sinatra could pack Vegas, Coton Bowl, MSG or any venue he performed in.

He earned his mantle "The King of Rock and Roll"

He is Number 1 on the list. No one, not even the Chairman (Sinatra) influenced music like he did and still does today.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 10:20 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:There's nothing to "get", other than he mimicked the sound of other Seattle musicians to sell his sorry, sad outlook that he eventually ended his life over.

His death made his legend, not his music.  Like Axl, he would have faded off into obscurity if he were still around today.

What did he mimick?? Are you going to say the Pixies because of that one song that he spoke of using the style on? C'mon man....

Axl faded because of his own ego. Guns N Roses in their Illusions lineup could have remained together and been huge for a long time. But the rest of the band couldn't stand Axl. What a shame, because they were really good back in the day. I haven't listened to anything they've done with the incarnation that is the current guns n roses for more than a minute or 2. Its weak. 

I still think that Courtney killed Kurt..

Quote:I still think that Courtney killed Kurt..

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top.../?p=181688

Quote:Elvis Aron Presley.

The very first American artist to sucessfully combine / cross over from hillbilly/country/rock-a-billy,R&B and gospel to rock and roll.

The first wide released record was produced and recorded in 1954 by Sam Phillips at Sun Records in Memphis.

"That's Alright Mama" was first played on WHBQ by Dewey Philips and it was off to the races.

Elvis performed locally in the Mid-South Area, Tennessee,Arkansas,Mississippi in the beginning and spread out to Louisiana with performances on the Louisiana HayRide Radio program on KWKH in Shreveport, La.

The Hayride exposure ignited his career as he toured with Mother Maybelle and the Carter Sisters, Ferlin Husky, Johnny Cash, Slim Whitman. He was paid $30.00 per show. Union Scale in 1956/7.

Presley actually bombed on the Grand Ole Opry a couple of weeks before he first appeared on The Hayride.

As local stations played his records throughout the South, his popularity soared as his records began to be played on more and more rock and roll stations nationwide.

News reels that played before movies (Movietone, etc) showed films of his performances and this was the exposure plus county fairs that exploded in 1956 when he first appeared on Ed Sullivans"Toast of the Town"

TMD, I grew up in Memphis and my family has been in Broadcasting for over 65 years.

What you may not be aware of is that Elvis was an extremely talented musician who worked with some of the best songwriters music has ever known.

Many, Many, Many of the songs he sang, he co-wrote, but gave credit to Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis (his cousin), and many others so they got credit and a small pittance of the rewards.

1/4 of 1 penny for each record sold, minus expenses and believe me RCA which had his contrract by now was creative with expenses.

Elvis was just as explosive as the Beatles, the Beatles were heavily influenced by his music and that of BB King, Howlin Wolf and other R&B and R&R artists.

He layed the foundation for the Beatles and the British Invasion, but first there was the Memphis invasion. Elvis was the single driving force that exploded Top 40 format onto radio stations across this Nation.

Only because I lived through that period am I knowledegble of the Titanic influence he exerted over the music scene from 1956 on.

Not even the Rat Pack or Sinatra could pack Vegas, Coton Bowl, MSG or any venue he performed in.

He earned his mantle "The King of Rock and Roll"

He is Number 1 on the list. No one, not even the Chairman (Sinatra) influenced music like he did and still does today.

HeadSlap

Good post. I'm sure you can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he also have like a 2.5 octave range as a vocalist?

Floyd Pepper

Dr. Teeth

Animal

1. Muddy Waters

2. Carla Thomas

3. The Shirelles

4. Billy Joel

5. Otis Redding

6. John Lee Hooker

7. Patsy Cline

8. Blind Willie Johnson

9. The Drifters

10. Buddy Holly

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 11:11 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Good post. I'm sure you can correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he also have like a 2.5 octave range as a vocalist?

I'd highly doubt that. 

Geoff Tate of Queensryche actually has (or had) that sort of range and Mr monotone Presley sounds like he's nothing close to capable of that. 

....or 

1. Elvis

2. Elvis

3. Elvis 

4. Elvis 

5. Elvis

6. Elvis

7. Elvis

8. Elvis

9. Elvis 

10. Elvis

......you decide

Quote:Floyd Pepper

Dr. Teeth

Animal

them?....

[Image: boring.jpg]

Quote:them?....

[Image: Mayhem1_600px.jpg]

Janice and Zoot don't make the cut. 

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2014, 11:43 PM by WingerDinger.)

Quote:[Image: Mayhem1_600px.jpg]

Janice and Zoot don't make the cut. 

+1 just for remembering the names of those guys.. Unless you looked up on the internet.. Then I say -1, good sir!

Quote:I'd highly doubt that. 

Geoff Tate of Queensryche actually has (or had) that sort of range and Mr monotone Presley sounds like he's nothing close to capable of that.

Henry Pleasants, in his book 'The Great American Popular Singers' (1974)

On his live versions of songs like 'How Great Thou Art' (1975), 'Unchained Melody' (1976) and 'Hurt' (1977), you will be able to hear how high he can go; but, it is essentially on 'What Now My Love' (sang live at his 'Aloha from Hawaii' global telecast, which reached 1 billion viewers when first aired in 1973), where he goes up three octaves at the end of the song, that you can really hear his true vocal power.

Cory Cooper on Presley's vocal range, as published ALLEXPERTS.com, February4, 2005.

Elvis' initial hopes for a music career involved singing in a gospel male quartet. His favourite part was bass baritone, and he himself had an almost 3-octave vocal range... Yet to posterity's surprise, such a superlative and magnetic natural talent always remained humble --perhaps too humble to keep performing forever.

- See more at: <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_presley_musical_prodigy.shtml#sthash.Nc1vn4y4.dpuf'>http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_presley_musical_prodigy.shtml#sthash.Nc1vn4y4.dpuf</a>

Lindsay Waters, Executive Editor for the Humanities at Harvard University Press.

From his essay 'Come softly, darling, hear what I say'.

In 1956, even the youngest of his fans knew that the 21-year-old Elvis Presley was unquestionably the whole package; and, obviously, his great three octave tenor voice, with a lower register close to bass, seemed to vibrate on the inner scale of every teenager in America; they loved the high tenor, but when he 'got down' with that lower register, fans exploded; Elvis translated this into his moves on stage.

- See more at: <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_presley_musical_prodigy.shtml#sthash.Nc1vn4y4.dpuf'>http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_presley_musical_prodigy.shtml#sthash.Nc1vn4y4.dpuf</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_presley_musical_prodigy.shtml#sthash.Nc1vn4y4.dpbs'>http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_presley_musical_prodigy.shtml#sthash.Nc1vn4y4.dpbs</a>