Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Top 10 American Musicians of All Time

Quote:+1 just for remembering the names of those guys.. Unless you looked up on the internet.. Then I say -1, good sir!
I remembered Dr. Teeth and Animal. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I remembered Dr. Teeth and Animal.

Don't be shy NYC, you're the pro here, what sayeth you?

Lynyrd Skynyrd / Ronnie Van Zant (Fantastic songwriter)

Alice in Chains / Jerry Cantrell

Pantera

Hendrix

Van Halen

Randy Rhoads

Zakk Wylde / BLS

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

Quote:Lynyrd Skynyrd / Ronnie Van Zant (Fantastic songwriter)

Alice in Chains / Jerry Cantrell

Pantera

Hendrix

Van Halen

Randy Rhoads

Zakk Wylde / BLS

Jerry Cantrell is a personal fave of mine. I've ripped a helluva lot of licks off of him.

Quote:Jerry Cantrell is a personal fave of mine. I've ripped a helluva lot of licks off of him.
He gets overlooked a lot because of Cobain and even Layne Staley, but if you ask me, Jerry is the most talented of the musicians from the late 80's / early to mid 90's Seattle bands.

Quote:He gets overlooked a lot because of Cobain and even Layne Staley, but if you ask me, Jerry is the most talented of the musicians from the late 80's / early to mid 90's Seattle bands.

Are you a guitar player? He's a really underrated guitar player IMO. Not the hugest fan of his solo albums, but the man can play a guitar.

Quote:He gets overlooked a lot because of Cobain and even Layne Staley, but if you ask me, Jerry is the most talented of the musicians from the late 80's / early to mid 90's Seattle bands.

Yeah, I like Alice In Chains music a lot, too. More so with Layne, though. AIC post-Layne sounds too much like Jerry Cantrell solo stuff, JMO. 

Quote:Are you a guitar player? He's a really underrated guitar player IMO. Not the hugest fan of his solo albums, but the man can play a guitar.
Yeah, I play guitar. I would consider myself a drummer though. But yeah, Jerry is an awesome guitar player. A lot of his riffs may not be really that complex or "virtuoso" or whatever, but he sure as hell can create some awesome riffs.

Quote:Don't be shy NYC, you're the pro here, what sayeth you?
Haha. I tried to take the easy way out.

This is a really tough one for me. Largely because I have my all time favorites compartmentalized.

Obviously there's the genre issue. Then you've got the various roles to consider.

Composer? Musician? Vocalist? Arranger? Producer? Some combination of these?

It gets tricky very quickly.

This is a good place for a quote from a guy on my composers list. Duke Ellington.

"There are two kinds of music. The good kind and the other kind."

The good kind for me is anything that moves me emotionally - resonates with my own experience as a human - and sometimes just makes me wanna tap my foot or dance.

So it's a really wide range that defies genre, style, period or any other category.

I hesitate to list a bunch of names most folks have scarcely heard of with a smattering of the names already up here. (I dont want to come off like some snobby musician or hipster) but .... Here's a few.

Instrumentalist- John Coltrane

Stylist, innovator, arranger - Miles Davis

Songwriter/ lyricist - Bob Dylan

Blues based rocker/envelope pusher- Jimi Hendrix

I'll add a few more when I'm not so tiredSmile

I appreciate alll opinins here, music is a highly personnal choice and it is very generational.

The opinion / disconnect on Elvis, the Seattle Grunge Connection, current artists.

I appreciate it all.

We should also consider:

Cole Porter

Duke Ellington

Count Basie

Sammy Nestico

John Williams

Aaron Copeland

Sinatra

Glen Miller

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2014, 09:32 AM by Deacon.)

I feel like I shouldn't be allowed to participate in this thread since I started what could be considered the antithesis of this idea with my "you have poor taste in music" thread. Then again, I like being naughty from time to time.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Elvis - Sheer impact. He's the George Washington of Rock and Roll. Without him being there, none of us would be here.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Hendrix - Just always seemed to be an 'innovator' to me. He was willing to do other things that people never wanted to try.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Coltrane - Strikes an emotional cord with me. The man could friggin' play.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Davis - Birth of the cool. To say that Miles Davis was cool was an understatement; the man was the embodiment of it.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">B.B. King - While King is probably more popular as a Blues artist than he is talented, his longevity and staunch adherence to his genre is amazing. Plus, who don't love listening to him play on Lucille?

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Dylan - Songwriter, the man could put down some lyrics.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Cash - I won't embarrass myself by thinking that my paltry words could encapsulate all that is Johnny Cash.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Hank Williams - How do you classify a classic? He was the standard and so very much has come from his influence.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Al Green - Maybe this is a bit off of the beaten path, but Al Green embodies the Motown scene for me. Just an absolute classic singer. I can listen to him any time of the day.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Billy Gibbons / ZZ Top - Blues guitarist, plain and simple. Take away some of the obvious Hudson stuff and you get stripped down blues rock. A personal favorite of mine.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Merle Haggard - Bakersfield; that should explain it all.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I can't believe this thread is 6 pages and Metallica has only been mentioned once. James Hetfield, top 10 front man in rock history.

Quote:I can't believe this thread is 6 pages and Metallica has only been mentioned once. James Hetfield, top 10 front man in rock history.

But then Lars...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Dylan

Buddy holly

Grateful dead

Hendrix

Miles Davis

Johnny cash

Townes van zandt

Gram parsons

Outkast

Biggie

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2014, 10:48 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I can't believe this thread is 6 pages and Metallica has only been mentioned once. James Hetfield, top 10 front man in rock history.

Thats because Metallica are overrated. Musically speaking, of course. 

James Hetfield, top 10 frontman in rock history? Hmmm, I dunno about that. 

Morrison
Plant
Tyler
Mick Jagger
Bon Jovi (love him or hate him, great front man)
Roger Daltrey
McCartney/ Lennon (choose 1, both better frontmen than Hetfield) 
David Lee Roth
Ozzy
Freddie Mercury

Theres 10 better right off the drop of a hat

Hell,  KIp Winger and Bret Michaels are better frontmen than Hetfield, Michaels' having very little musical talent. 

I'd also list Chris Cornell of Soundgarden above Hetfield. Cobain too. 

Quote:But then Lars...

So much talent, so much idiocy..

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:So much talent, so much idiocy..

No kidding. How can a guy crank out music that friggin' good and be such a total feminine hygiene product?! Just seems unfair.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Adding to my prior list:

Here's a few very notable producers:

Tom Dowd, Quincy Jones, Prince

Another major icon that was more than a lovable belter and amazing trumpeter-

Louis Armstrong

His phrasing and concept of melody literally helped to carve out a formula that became the typical construct for American pop music for decades to come.

Stevie Wonder is a guy that I hold in very very high esteem as a songwriter and performer.

*interesting sidebar - Stevie plays the chromatic harmonica on a virtuoso level

Quote:I feel like I shouldn't be allowed to participate in this thread since I started what could be considered the antithesis of this idea with my "you have poor taste in music" thread. Then again, I like being naughty from time to time.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Elvis - Sheer impact. He's the George Washington of Rock and Roll. Without him being there, none of us would be here.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Hendrix - Just always seemed to be an 'innovator' to me. He was willing to do other things that people never wanted to try.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Coltrane - Strikes an emotional cord with me. The man could friggin' play.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Davis - Birth of the cool. To say that Miles Davis was cool was an understatement; the man was the embodiment of it.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">B.B. King - While King is probably more popular as a Blues artist than he is talented, his longevity and staunch adherence to his genre is amazing. Plus, who don't love listening to him play on Lucille?

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Dylan - Songwriter, the man could put down some lyrics.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Cash - I won't embarrass myself by thinking that my paltry words could encapsulate all that is Johnny Cash.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Hank Williams - How do you classify a classic? He was the standard and so very much has come from his influence.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Al Green - Maybe this is a bit off of the beaten path, but Al Green embodies the Motown scene for me. Just an absolute classic singer. I can listen to him any time of the day.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Billy Gibbons / ZZ Top - Blues guitarist, plain and simple. Take away some of the obvious Hudson stuff and you get stripped down blues rock. A personal favorite of mine.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Merle Haggard - Bakersfield; that should explain it all.

I have to disagree on BB. While he might be third on my list of the Kings, he's still extremely talented in his own right and hugely influential to his genre. I'd bet every blues guitarist on the planet incorporates a lick or two from him, not unlike rock guys with Jimi.

I also think Billy Gibbons is an underrated guitarist. He does some quirky things that are a little out of the box, and he makes everything just sound so cool.

Quote:Adding to my prior list:

Here's a few very notable producers:

Tom Dowd, Quincy Jones, Prince

Another major icon that was more than a lovable belter and amazing trumpeter-

Louis Armstrong

His phrasing and concept of melody literally helped to carve out a formula that became the typical construct for American pop music for decades to come.

Stevie Wonder is a guy that I hold in very very high esteem as a songwriter and performer.

*interesting sidebar - Stevie plays the chromatic harmonica on a virtuoso level

This is what I'm talking about NYC! Interesting insight... is a chromatic harmonica a "regular" harmonica? Never knew there was different types.