Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Vandals Flip Smart Cars Over in San Francisco

Quote:Oh, I didn't realize vandalizing other's property and causing possibly serious damage was hilarious. Sorry.

It's not. Just your over the top point of view is.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Back in my day we didn't have Smart cars. Nope. Back then they were Exceptionally Brilliant cars. Sadly, we have to settle for just 'smart' today.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:The Smart was developed in the nineties. For a car that age its mileage is very good. Mileage didn't even become a massive selling point until about 2005.

Huh? Honda's Civic as well as CRX in the mid-late eighties were getting much better gas milage than the Smart car does.....and it was indeed a pretty big selling point for the brand & those 2 vehicles.

SF needs to bring back the Jerry days when people used to hang out on the intersection of Haight & Ashbury Street and just jam out to music all night.

We just bought my son a car and had it shipped in from Marin County (San Rafael).   Guess we got it just in time.

how light are those things? if it's that easy to flip them over i'd be worried about taking it on a major interstate.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:how light are those things? if it's that easy to flip them over i'd be worried about taking it on a major interstate.

lol, they look like big ice cubes. 

As opposed to some of the Kia's and Scions, (toasters on wheels) lol

Quote:You better not bring fact into this!

I don't trust facts. I listen more to the opinion of a middle aged loner from New Jersey who spends all day on the computer in his one bedroom apartment.

;

;

Quote:A frat prank such as picking up the VW bugs and moving them elsewhere is one thing......the evil spirited intentions of the punks that do vandalism today is on a different level. Those smart cars that were turned over were probably severely damaged. 

Evil spirited intentions? 

Seriously?

Yes, this is a sinister plot against Smart car owners.  Pure evil.  Nothing like the days when people would move VW Bugs, or flip Suzuki Samurais.  Those were just juvenile pranks.  This is far more dangerous.  Back in the good old days you long so desperately for, cars weighed 4 tons.  I guess it's a good thing they're not flipping Miatas in Jersey.

Considering the fact that in their own advertisements, they're putting an 6,000 pound SUV on top of one of these to show the structural integrity of the vehicle, I'm pretty sure the damage to the vehicles, while not cheap to repair, is not nearly as severe as you'd like to spin it.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:how light are those things? if it's that easy to flip them over i'd be worried about taking it on a major interstate.
They're just over 1,800 lbs. 

I'd be worried about driving one of these anywhere considering how small they are.  I can put one in the bed of my truck. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:They're just over 1,800 lbs. 

I'd be worried about driving one of these anywhere considering how small they are.  I can put one in the bed of my truck. 
They're supposedly very safe. I see bunch of idiot comments about Smart cars from people saying that if they'd rather be in an SUV than a Smart car if they hit a truck but a truck is going to plow through an SUV just the same as it would a Smart Car.

Quote:They're supposedly very safe. I see bunch of idiot comments about Smart cars from people saying that if they'd rather be in an SUV than a Smart car if they hit a truck but a truck is going to plow through an SUV just the same as it would a Smart Car.
Still, I'd rather be sitting in a vehicle that has more than a seat back between me and a vehicle plowing into my vehicle. 

Smart cars are supposedly very safe, but I don't know a lot of people who'd be willing to test that assertion.

There was a serious accident in the area on Friday involving a Pontiac G8 ramming into the back end of a GMC Sierra crew cab.  The G8 was doing somewhere between 70 and 100 mph on a road where the speed limit is 35 mph.  I was just getting out of my truck at a store on the other side of the intersection where this took place.  It sounded like a bomb went off.   The truck was destroyed, but the occupants, including small children, survived the accident.  They were seriously injured, but lived.  Had they been in a Smart car, I'm betting the outcome would have been far more tragic. 

Quote:They're just over 1,800 lbs. 

while I LOVE my silverado, I gotta admit the smart car is tempting on my 80 mile drive every day.

Quote:Still, I'd rather be sitting in a vehicle that has more than a seat back between me and a vehicle plowing into my vehicle. 

Smart cars are supposedly very safe, but I don't know a lot of people who'd be willing to test that assertion.

There was a serious accident in the area on Friday involving a Pontiac G8 ramming into the back end of a GMC Sierra crew cab.  The G8 was doing somewhere between 70 and 100 mph on a road where the speed limit is 35 mph.  I was just getting out of my truck at a store on the other side of the intersection where this took place.  It sounded like a bomb went off.   The truck was destroyed, but the occupants, including small children, survived the accident.  They were seriously injured, but lived.  Had they been in a Smart car, I'm betting the outcome would have been far more tragic. 

I wouldn't even subject a crash test dummy to that kind of impact if it was a Smart car instead of a truck. 

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 12:41 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:while I LOVE my silverado, I gotta admit the smart car is tempting on my 80 mile drive every day.

Why? The milage sucks. 

Just get a Civic or a Mazda 3 if you want a small car like that. Better gas milage, not AS ugly, about the same price, reliable, more space. 

Quote:Why? The milage sucks. 

Just get a Civic or a Mazda 3 if you want a small car like that. Better gas milage, not AS ugly, about the same price, reliable, more space. 

that's what I'll probably end up with an old 90 something civic. I thought those smart cars where getting 40 + mpg?

Quote:Why? The milage sucks. 

We get it, the gas mileage sucks on a smart car.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 01:34 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:that's what I'll probably end up with an old 90 something civic. I thought those smart cars where getting 40 + mpg?

I saw one new smart car advertised and the gas milage was in the 29/ 33 range. I mean....thats not bad....but you'd think for having to drive an ice cube with 4 wheels, you'd get something better than that. Civics and Mazda 3's top out close to 40 mpg and are more pleasant to look at, have more zip, more space, I think safer, and most likely more reliable and probably less expensive to repair. 

Man. What ever happened to the good old days when people would steal cars?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I don't trust facts. I listen more to the opinion of a middle aged loner from New Jersey who spends all day on the computer in his one bedroom apartment. mamas basement

Blakes Life Matters