Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:He'll be 29 this year. He aint that young, bro.

He's a Center. 29 for a Center is not 29 for a RB....Look at the career Meester had - and to be honest, he was only "average" and lasted that long. If Mack stays healthy, he could play at a fairly high level into his mid-upper 30's. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He'll be 29 this year. He aint that young, bro.
To be fair, 29 for a lineman isn't that old.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 10:43 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:The team is still years to be competitive. The right way to go is to build through draft. Although Mack is not old by NFL standard, but he is not young for this team.

You can't build the entire thing through the draft dude....

Why limit yourself in how its built? You find players where you find players. Draft, free agency and trades. The bulk/ core of the roster will be built via the draft, anyway. 

Solving the Center spot in free agency also means thats one less position they need to use in the draft, thus allowing more flexibility. 

Although normally I would be very anti overspending, I would be ok with it in this instance. I've grown tired of rebuilding our offensive line for the last 15 years. With a competent line there can be no more excuses for any more skill players. If we could put the cherry on top by drafting Xavier Sua-Filo in the 2nd I could finally rest easy.

Quote:He's a Center. 29 for a Center is not 29 for a RB....Look at the career Meester had - and to be honest, he was only "average" and lasted that long. If Mack stays healthy, he could play at a fairly high level into his mid-upper 30's. 

The difference is his large price tag. If we wanna be competitive we're gonna have to pay some dudes and they will cost money. How long could we possibly hold onto Mack before saying enough?

Quote:The difference is his large price tag. If we wanna be competitive we're gonna have to pay some dudes and they will cost money. How long could we possibly hold onto Mack before saying enough?

As long as we had to. 

Remember, the Cap seems to be increasing 5-10 MIL every year, and with this new TV deal, will continue to do so for at least the next 3-5 years. 

Quote:The difference is his large price tag. If we wanna be competitive we're gonna have to pay some dudes and they will cost money. How long could we possibly hold onto Mack before saying enough?

Geez dude... how long do you think it's gonna take this team to be competitive? If players going into their 2nd contracts at positions of longevity are too old, then that completely eliminates free agency entirely.

....Also, just as an addendum....Mack in base salary isn't going to get much more than Jason Kelce's contract in base terms. What I believe will happen if the Jags really want him is try to offer more guaranteed money than Cleveland, in order to try to dissuade the Browns from matching. Also as KyJaggy said, they could also structure the contract to where a lot of the hit comes in 2015 - when Cleveland has a lot of contracts due. 

Quote:Geez dude... how long do you think it's gonna take this team to be competitive? If players going into their 2nd contracts at positions of longevity are too old, then that completely eliminates free agency entirely.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. It's hard to complain about possibly having the best center in the NFL on your team. I just want our Jags to have flexibility to spend in other positions with younger players.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 11:03 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I'm just playing devil's advocate. It's hard to complain about possibly having the best center in the NFL on your team. I just want our Jags to have flexibility to spend in other positions with younger players.

Its not like this contract is going to be 50% of our cap space, lol....

Chill, there will be plenty of room. 

This (if we sign him) is the ONLY high priced FA we've signed in Caldwell's regime so far.

Also, as mentioned previously, the Cap is going up 5-10 MIL ever year for at least the next 3-5 years. 

There will be plenty of space for the Jags to add others, should an opportooooon'y arise. 

Quote:Its not like this contract is going to be 50% of our cap space, lol....

Chill, there will be plenty of room. 

This (if we sign him) is the ONLY high priced FA we've signed in Caldwell's regime so far.

Also, as mentioned previously, the Cap is going up 5-10 MIL ever year for at least the next 3-5 years. 

There will be plenty of space for the Jags to add others, should an opportooooon'y arise. 

Yes, the cap is going up AND, we don't have any contracts expiring for star players any time soon.  

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 11:09 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Yes, the cap is going up AND, we don't have any contracts expiring for star players any time soon.  

Yep, and people shouldn't underestimate the importance of a top notch Center....he's essentially the QB of the OL. 

For a team like ours who will be starting a rookie QB soon, a Center like that will be beneficial. 

Quote:Their message board is fun to read. They obviously don't have any rules on fowl language. Some of the comments are pretty funny.

I wish they let us talk turkey on our message board. On topic, if anyone can make it happen, Dave can.

Quote:As long as we had to. 

Remember, the Cap seems to be increasing 5-10 MIL every year, and with this new TV deal, will continue to do so for at least the next 3-5 years. 
This!  The cap is always increasing and it almost hurt us this year since all the other teams suddenly had more cash then expected. Can't do it all in free agency, but some big spending, if structured properly, can work.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Yep, and people shouldn't underestimate the importance of a top notch Center....he's essentially the QB of the OL.

For a team like ours who will be starting a rookie QB soon, a Center like that will be beneficial.

Yes! This would be way better than starting a rookie center or Brewster with our rookie QB.

I hope we get an offer to him today.. Did Mack visit us or did we visit him?
Shock the world

Been wanting this signing since the game v the Browns earlier....very stoked

I thought about posting a new thread about State Tax ramifications concerning Alex Mack.

I am not starting a discussion on taxes, if you have strong beliefs on taxes, post in the Sideline. Not here!

A casual look shows that in Ohio he may be responsible for:

5.92%      State Tax

1.00%      Cleveland

2.25%      Township

1.25%       County/Local

This is an average figure based on locations where high income individuals might choose to live.

There is another set of education, property and associated taxes that are more location specific.

After speaking with an Enrolled Agent I know in Shaker Heights with first hand knowledge of

NFL Player exposure to taxes, she states that the Jaguars are playing with a 15% advantage over

Cleveland on taxes, fees and additional levy's.

That and the fact Mack would prefer to play elsewhere and has an agent who is extremely creative in packaging a deal

to make his client happy would all be advantages to the Jaguars. Her family are legacy ticket holders and she loathes us. Good.

SO, by the Jags being patient and seeing what the market would bring, knowing that their intended acquisition would like to move and having
an additional 15% or so to play with while packaging an offer to the total disadvantage of the Browns, with help of his agent is all good. 
I would not care to sit across the poker table with Dave.

Go Jags

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Dont forget the tax consequences advantage we have as well.

Wow! Bigger difference than I expected.

Can the Jags create a contract then re-structure it after Mack signs?  IDK if something like that is legal, and it would require an unwritten agreement, but if Mack really wants out of Cleveland and its allowed....

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus