Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:Star Power has not one thing to do in this equation.

There is a finite price Mack is worth and Dave won't go over it.

It is all about the structure of the contract.

HeadSlap

Agree... it's going to be about what Dave's willing to do to make the "match" by the Browns less palatable.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

the center also touches the ball on 100% of offensive plays. He does a lot more than "just block DTs". He handles snap counts, pre snap reads, getting the ball to where it needs to go, blitzers....etc. Its a very important piece of the puzzle.

Quote:At the end of the day. He is still just a center. While the center does do a alot. Pass rushers dont rush up the middle. And Dt dont get a tremendous amount of sacks.

A huge contract for a center elite or not. Stops us from gaining great talent in the future. Our biggest needs are qb receiver and still pass rush. So going crazy over a center in my opinion is not a huge priority.

However if they choose to over pay will welcome the idea. The draft is way to long away. If it is not broken dont fix it. So pushing Draft back was not necc. And gives the players less time to focus on becoming the next level player they aim to be.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:The difference of 15% by an enrolled agent is far from correct, and very misleading.

Players pay state taxes in every state they play a game in that collect state taxes. There are four NFL states that do not collect state taxes. Florida, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington. The Jaguar players do benefit by playing both the Texans, and the Titans. When they play the Colts, they pay their portion of the state taxes, and have to file just like any other citizen.

Some of the taxes used to approach the 15% in this calculation are also tied to property taxes, which may also vary per being a primary, or secondary resident (or more).

All NFL players pay federal taxes, at which point they deduct the state, and local taxes assessed by the states they played in. The NFL players also are able to deduct any other cost of doing business in the state they worked in. I am fairly certain that per diem is adjusted per local cost of living, which is not taxed. Per diem is quite a low amount, and most likely not considered. If Mack plays for Cleveland, he will deduct his state taxes, as well as the taxes of all of the other states he “works” in from his federal tax obligation.

I am no tax expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn on business, to which I deducted those cost from my federal taxes.

Federal was never looked at.

Ohio has a high rate of taxation on high income earners.

Yes a good CPA will find every reduction they are able.

I questioned the 15% figure and was informed that when taken in as a whole, the additional levy's on high income earners of taxes and fee's

work right into a 15% advantage to move.

YtraM is correct the the Browns do not have this as an cost to them

It is a factor when a player is entertaining a change of tax venue, Ohio to Florida.

So the plan is to structure the offer to the maximum disadvantage to the Browns in years that cause them greatest distress.

With the Browns who have been known to be FRUGAL to a fault knowing that the player will know that he will have a much reduced tax liability.

So it comes down to can the Jags come up with an offer that is to much for the Browns and one that they can live with.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:I wouldn't be surprised to see this, should we land Mack:

LT - Joeckel

LG - Beadles

C - Mack

RG - Pasztor

RT - draft pick
I wouldn't mind seeing that. Part of me thinks that Pasztor is best left where he is though. I'm no coach though, so I could be wrong.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

NH3 doesnt it get annoying hitting shift for every word. 

Man the Bears got De La Puenta to be their backup C. That's one that I'm surprised Dave wasn't interested in. 

Quote:I wouldn't be surprised to see this, should we land Mack:

LT - Joeckel

LG - Beadles

C - Mack

RG - Pasztor

RT - draft pick

Hmm,, if they do manage to land Mack, and it looks like what you have lined out, could you live with them drafting Robinson/Matthews at #3 (provided Clowney is not there, of course)?

I believe I would like that very much.

LT - Joeckel

LG - Beadles

C - Mack

RG - Paztor

RT - Robinson / Matthews

*** drool ***

I'd definitely be okay with drafting OL at #3 for a unit such as this, that could potentially be a beast.

Quote:Man the Bears got De La Puenta to be their backup C. That's one that I'm surprised Dave wasn't interested in. 

Looks like the Jags evaluated De La Puenta to not be someone worth looking at to be the starter

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I'd definitely be okay with drafting OL at #3 for a unit such as this, that could potentially be a beast.
History would look back at the Jags using two top 3 picks on OTs in back to back years and ridicule us mercilessly...and it would be deserved.

Quote:Man the Bears got De La Puenta to be their backup C. That's one that I'm surprised Dave wasn't interested in. 

That one makes no sense to me, he's a solid starting center and he's under 30.

Quote:Federal was never looked at.

Ohio has a high rate of taxation on high income earners.

Yes a good CPA will find every reduction they are able.

I questioned the 15% figure and was informed that when taken in as a whole, the additional levy's on high income earners of taxes and fee's

work right into a 15% advantage to move.

YtraM is correct the the Browns do not have this as an cost to them

It is a factor when a player is entertaining a change of tax venue, Ohio to Florida.

So the plan is to structure the offer to the maximum disadvantage to the Browns in years that cause them greatest distress.

With the Browns who have been known to be FRUGAL to a fault knowing that the player will know that he will have a much reduced tax liability.

So it comes down to can the Jags come up with an offer that is to much for the Browns and one that they can live with.

HeadSlap

I guess I don't understand how the Jaguars can structure a tax incentive contract when taxes are not considered in the contract. Mack still pays state taxes in the states he plays a game in. I am uncertain how the London game(s) work out.

I do understand the lack of state taxes being an incentive, but I am suspicious of a 15% difference without seeing the breakdown of the numbers. The Jaguars players still play six games in states that collect takes from them for the most part.

[Image: euzUuiY.gif]

Always wanted a players with liquid/bioelectricity powers. 

Quote:Hmm,, if they do manage to land Mack, and it looks like what you have lined out, could you live with them drafting Robinson/Matthews at #3 (provided Clowney is not there, of course)?

I believe I would like that very much.

LT - Joeckel

LG - Beadles

C - Mack

RG - Paztor

RT - Robinson / Matthews

*** drool ***

I'd definitely be okay with drafting OL at #3 for a unit such as this, that could potentially be a beast.
Or you could be smart and go:

LT - Joeckel

LG - Beadles

C - Mack

RG - ROOKIE IN 3RD-5TH ROUND

RT - Paztor (WHERE HE WAS VERY PRODUCTIVE)

And get a QB/Pass rusher at 3 and more than likely be better off than in your scenario on the Oline anyway. 

Quote:I guess I don't understand how the Jaguars can structure a tax incentive contract when taxes are not considered in the contract. Mack still pays state taxes in the states he plays a game in. I am uncertain how the London game(s) work out.

I do understand the lack of state taxes being an incentive, but I am suspicious of a 15% difference without seeing the breakdown of the numbers. The Jaguars players still play six games in states that collect takes from them for the most part.
Actually they can't. Taxes are Taxes and you are correct.

In the chess game to acquire Mack, there will be a contract offered.

The Browns have the chance to match or no.

In between there there is the agent talking to the Browns.

I do not propose to know what all goes on, and at the end of the day the agent gets his percentage.

However if the contract is difficult for the Browns and they are being told that the player would be much happier elsewhere and taxes are part of the conversation.

Again all this is conjecture, the fact is that the player will have a much lower tax liability elsewhere, the Browns know that, the player knows that and the chess game continues.

Admittedly the Browns hold the Ace of trump, it's the cost and effect of throwing that card they have to live with.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:Aren't poison pill clauses still valid in these contracts? Jaguars offer $22m, with a $50m bonus each year which kicks in on the third game played in Cleveland each year. Kind of tricky for the Browns to match that...

I kinda skimmed through this topic, so I might have missed it after your post, but I didn't see anyone answer your question. According to PFT (I know, I know. "PFT, more like pfffffffffttttttt") the "poison pill" was abolished under the new CBA.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-from-cba/

The only other thing I could find is this article, which conveniently talks about Mack's situation with the Browns towards the beginning of free agency, which echoed what PFT said.

Pertinent part of the article:

Quote:The NFL outlawed adding a “poison pill” to such contracts, but Demoff is a veteran agent who could get creative.

Full article: http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2014/...can-match/

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

I sure hope we at least make a huge offer to Alex Mack. I don't want to see Mike Brewster starting a game at C or Guard. We hopefully can address Right guard at Nfl Draft. Go Jags

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-a-second/

Apologies if this has been posted.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:[Image: euzUuiY.gif]

Always wanted a players with liquid/bioelectricity powers.

You win the thread.

I don't know how one can say Brewster was an elite Center in college seeing as all 32 teams passed on him for 7 rounds.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:I don't know how one can say Brewster was an elite Center in college seeing as all 32 teams passed on him for 7 rounds.

Did somebody actually say that?