Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

@MoveTheSticks: If JAX lands Alex Mack, their OL would be in very good shape. Joeckel returns after inj, Beadles signs and huge upgrade at center.

And if they for some reason do draft Robinson/Mathews then our O-line would probably be dominant for a long time..
Shock the world

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

we're not getting mack this year. best we could do is put ourselves in a very favorable position to get him next year.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

By packaging a salary with Roster, Signing Bonus's including an opt-out/ non franchise if possible that have their greatest effect in the 15,16 & 17 seasons, it may be possible to deliever a package that is unacceptable to the Browns. I suspect this chess game is approaching end game moves with feints and bluff's.

I do like the idea of a one year payment of 15m with signing bonus of ?m plus optout clause that leaves him a true UFA next year.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:By packaging a salary with Roster, Signing Bonus's including an opt-out/ non franchise if possible that have their greatest effect in the 15,16 & 17 seasons, it may be possible to deliever a package that is unacceptable to the Browns. I suspect this chess game is approaching end game moves with feints and bluff's.

I do like the idea of a one year payment of 15m with signing bonus of ?m plus optout clause that leaves him a true UFA next year.

HeadSlap
That would be great until he takes his 15 mil then opts out on us.

You never know what could happen over the course of a year that could cause him to turn sour on us. I don't see us making a deal like that.

I also don't see us paying an unusually high amount up front to scare off Cleveland. Way too risky considering the potential for injury. The jags would be setting themselves up to get screwed.

The only feasible option I see to sign Mack this year is to trade Cleveland some draft picks to forgo the right to match.

Quote:we're not getting mack this year. best we could do is put ourselves in a very favorable position to get him next year.

Yes....let's get him next year

Nothing about this offseason tells me they intend to wait til next year.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Nothing about this offseason tells me they intend to wait til next year.
If Cleveland is determined to hold on to him this year, they won't have a choice.

Quote:That would be great until he takes his 15 mil then opts out on us.

You never know what could happen over the course of a year that could cause him to turn sour on us. I don't see us making a deal like that.

I also don't see us paying an unusually high amount up front to scare off Cleveland. Way too risky considering the potential for injury. The jags would be setting themselves up to get screwed.

The only feasible option I see to sign Mack this year is to trade Cleveland some draft picks to forgo the right to match.
Points taken

I see the need packaging picks to make it palatable for the Browns.

Or as TMD pointed out. throw them the 4th and 5th we got for Monroe.

Clock is ticking.

HeadSlap

Lots of good discussion in this thread.  

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 3-way negotiation going on.   First, the Jags have to offer Mack enough to make Cleveland think a little about matching.   Nothing outrageous, just a little higher than Cleveland wanted to pay.  Put them on the fence and make them think about it.  We should already have some idea how much to offer, because no doubt Demoff has told us all about the failed negotiations between Mack and the Browns.  What did Mack's side ask for that the Browns refused to accept?  

Then, before Mack accepts the Jaguars offer, the Jags negotiate with the Browns for the rights to Mack.   Like several people have suggested, if they are on the fence about matching our offer, then we just have to give them enough to make it worth their while to give up his rights. 

It is possible that the reason why there is no official offer from the Jags to Mack that we have heard of is because we are now in the stage where the Jags talk to the Browns about it.  

Step 1: Make a tentative deal with Mack.

Step 2: Tell the Browns we have a tentative deal with Mack, but tell them that before we make it official, we need to acquire his rights in exchange for a draft choice.  If they don't want to trade us his rights, we will make the deal official anyway and they will be forced to match it. 

I think the way for us to be successful without breaking the bank would be to make this a 3-way deal.  

My take on this is if we don't land Mack it is not because Caldwell is not serious about cutting a deal with Mack or the Browns. I also agree that it would be worth throwing in a draft pick to secure a reasonable contract that the Browns would for go matching. It will take a creative contract to land Mack and it is possible I truly  believe Caldwell can get it done. If he does land Mack does his signing shed light on the Jaguars taking a quarterback at number 3 pick? I have this crazy feeling that the Jaguars will take Manziel If Clowney is gone. 

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf...e_cle.html

Sorry if it's been posted before. Interesting article saying why should the Browns even bother matching. Also interesting to read the comments and see Brown's fans impression (or lack thereof) of the Jags.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 09:58 AM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf...e_cle.html

Sorry if it's been posted before. Interesting article saying why should the Browns even bother matching. Also interesting to read the comments and see Brown's fans impression (or lack thereof) of the Jags.

It's sort of funny how fans of Cleveland and Buffalo perceive Jacksonville and the Jaguars. We are in Florida and are owned by Shad Khan. They are both in shrinking rust belt cities and have unstable ownership. Maybe it's just envy.

;

;

Quote:It's sort of funny how fans of Cleveland and Buffalo perceive Jacksonville and the Jaguars. We are in Florida and are owned by Shad Khan. They are both in shrinking rust belt cities and have unstable ownership. Maybe it's just envy.

Yeah I agree. I grew up in Rochester. About an hour from Buffalo and no one there has ANY idea of how this organization is actually run now. And the "attendance issues" comments. Good lord. I live in Tampa now and even have Bucs fans saying we can't sell tickets. Really?

Back to the main topic, I do hope the Browns decide to let Mack go based on their future cap situation.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 10:23 AM by Predator.)

Quote:Points taken

I see the need packaging picks to make it palatable for the Browns.

Or as TMD pointed out. throw them the 4th and 5th we got for Monroe.

Clock is ticking.

HeadSlap
I actually floated that trade idea back in the beginning of free agency in the Monroe update thread as a way to recoup what I believe is the less than stellar value of the Monroe trade. People are just now realizing that prying Mack away from Cleveland is going to be a little more complicated than just making an offer.

I think it would be a good deal for both parties, but I think Cleveland is still holding on to the hope of re-signing Mack.

The comments made about Brewster playing may be a way of showing they are willing to wait it out. Maybe hoping that Cleveland eventually  weakens it's stance.

I have a feeling we won't hear any update on this until the end of the week at least. All these visits happening this week, Mack is probably on the back burner for a few days.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Still just a center.   He is not going anywhere till next year.    No way as a player especially an elite one.   Would i chance going back where was not happy with.   For the chance to go elsewhere the year before that could very well backfire.    And keep me at the place I can careless to begin with.   Mack wont let it happen unless he is 110 % sure he will be traded.  

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

I am sure he was just trying to see his market value from an outside source.   Like a legal way to test the market.   While still getting paid.   Very smart. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:I actually floated that trade idea back in the beginning of free agency in the Monroe update thread as a way to recoup what I believe is the less than stellar value of the Monroe trade. People are just now realizing that prying Mack away from Cleveland is going to be a little more complicated than just making an offer.

I think it would be a good deal for both parties, but I think Cleveland is still holding on to the hope of re-signing Mack.

The comments made about Brewster playing may be a way of showing they are willing to wait it out. Maybe hoping that Cleveland eventually  weakens it's stance.
Agreed, all part of the Chess game.

It will happen, if it happens.

HeadSlap

Quote:I have a feeling we won't hear any update on this until the end of the week at least. All these visits happening this week, Mack is probably on the back burner for a few days.
I disagree that Mack is on the back burner.  That's a critical piece of the equation in determining how we'll approach the draft next month.  The visits they're doing this week are an indication the team is taking a serious look at their QB options.  If they draft a QB, they will do so knowing they have a line that can protect the rookie.  I think Mack is a priority for this team. Otherwise, they wouldn't have brought him in for a visit, and they wouldn't be trying to position themselves to land him. 

In the end, the visits this week have no real bearing on what's happening with Mack.  I think the team has pretty much made the decision about what they're willing to do to get him.  It's on Cleveland's plate to decide what they're going to do in response. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The Cleveland writer in his article cites typical bad/ lazy info though....he mentions how Jacksonville is a team thats been having attendance problems. Which is not true. The Jags haven't had a game blacked out since 2009, IIRC.