Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

I just want this deal to happen so I can witness the meltdowns of some of my coworkers lol

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Ruh roh.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ'>Nate Ulrich ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@NateUlrichABJ</span> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/453668403589292032'>17m</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(245,248,250);"><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Browns&src=hash'>#Browns</a> owner Jimmy Haslam was asked if team prepared to match any offer to Alex Mack. smiled & said wants Mack to be a Brown for long time.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'>Ryan O'Halloran ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@ryanohalloran</span> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/453668890619674624'>16m</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">Regrading C Alex Mack, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam told Cleveland area reporters tonight team is "optimistic" about Mack staying.

Quote:Ruh roh.
<span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ'>Nate Ulrich ‏<span style="color:rgb(136,153,166);"><span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@
NateUlrichABJ
</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/453668403589292032'>17m</a></span></span></span><span style="background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Browns&src=hash'><span style="color:rgb(224,132,163);">#

Browns</a> owner Jimmy Haslam was asked if team prepared to match any offer to Alex Mack. smiled & said wants Mack to be a Brown for long time.</span></span>

Thought I remember Mack's agent saying he didn't want to be in Cleveland. Could be way off. Could have been dreaming.

If they want him they will keep him. I'm glad the Jags are going after him though. Not been so confident in the staff of the Jags since I became a fan.

If Mack wants out of Cleveland,  all Caldwell needs to do is offer a contract to Mack with a 3 day opt-out clause which would not be considered a poison pill.  The unions really seem to like opt-out clauses.

This way,  if Cleveland matches the Jags offer,  Mack can walk away within 3 days and would be a free agent and free to sign with any team.  Lets hope Mack want to play for Coach Gus and the up and coming Jags

Looks like the browns will keep him but I'm happy we tried.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 07:56 PM by firemandan.)

The New Jags brass has a direction and a commitment that is refreshing.

To the earlier posters...Taking a lesser rated QB never makes sense, ever, for any reason.

I know this will sound a bit outlandish but here me out.    I am not going to take shots because it is not fair to the ones who live down south.   I never seen that aspect until living in Florida as well as Tennessee.    What the NFL needs to do is average out ticket sales based on Geographic location and Ncaa football rankings.      See it is easy to say the Jags or another team struggle in ticket sales.   Due to lack of attendance.   

But the reality of it the Gators who have been around a heck of a lot longer.   Will have a larger fan base since normally a top SEC team.  So the money of the residents is split between one team that most years provides excitement on a Saturday and is known as one of the best teams in all of Ncaa.   Vs a team of Sundays that has not reached the playoffs since 2007.   And since then has had under 500 seasons.   

So if the NFL compared that team to like minded teams.  The rest of the world would see it is not a attendance problem.   It is competing with a well known and established college team.

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:If Mack wants out of Cleveland,  all Caldwell needs to do is offer a contract to Mack with a 3 day opt-out clause which would not be considered a poison pill.  The unions really seem to like opt-out clauses.

This way,  if Cleveland matches the Jags offer,  Mack can walk away within 3 days and would be a free agent and free to sign with any team.  Lets hope Mack want to play for Coach Gus and the up and coming Jags
Can they do that?  That seems too easy.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 08:13 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

Quote:Can they do that?  That seems too easy.
They could.  But be bad business practice.   And no one would want to work with the Jags draft wise, free agency trade wise, etc.     Gene Smith pulled stuff like that.   And other teams refused to work with him come draft day.

#Gojags

Quote:They could.  But be bad business practice.   And no one would want to work with the Jags draft wise, free agency wise, etc.   
So no other team would do the same if you really want the player.

I am one who would LOVE Mack as our center for many years to come .. who cares what Cleveland thinks

Quote:They could.  But be bad business practice.   And no one would want to work with the Jags draft wise, free agency trade wise, etc.     Gene Smith pulled stuff like that.   And other teams refused to work with him come draft day.
Apart from gladly trading down with him when he pulled another bonehead move.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 08:23 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

Quote:So no other team would do the same if you really want the player.

I am one who would LOVE Mack as our center for many years to come .. who cares what Cleveland thinks
But at what cost?   Would you lose out on other potentially great players to improve your organization over a center?

#Gojags

Quote:Apart from gladly trading down with him when he pulled another bonehead move.
Agreed.

#Gojags

I believe the Jags would offer Mack a contract to make him the highest paid C in the league. Contract talks stalled with the regime change/owner distraction and they ultimately gave him the transition tag. Cleveland would obviously need to come up from where they were. I have questions about Farmer, that scouting team, that owner and that entire facility with the number of staph infections reported. Based on some fan reaction (not all) it sounds like some Browns fans feel like Mack wants out. Mentally, Cleveland needs to think about when they have to resign some key guys in a couple of years. The Jags do not. I am cautiously optimistic we sign him by making him the highest paid C in the league.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Looks like the browns will keep him but I'm happy we tried.

Why the past tense Brooklyn?
;

;

Its looking pretty unrealistic at this point. Who knows though. We really have nothing to lose by just offering him a contract. If they match then oh well. 

I was thinking this might happen since nothing came out of the meeting. It's been too long and I don't think they can make a smart offer and not have Cleveland match it. I was hoping something would work out, but it's been too long. And now we have all the draftees coming through. I don't see anything happening with Mack; sadly....

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:Its looking pretty unrealistic at this point. Who knows though. We really have nothing to lose by just offering him a contract. If they match then oh well. 

Which they may have already done, and he said no.