Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:Very nice read and very good option. However, only if the contract is restructured afterwards to make it long term; which cannot be included in the contract. Quick, someone send this to Caldwell asap!! lol

If Caldwell hasn't already put this concept into play, on at least a hypothetical level, then we've got a lot more concerns than who's going to play Center next season.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:There's a shocker. Bklyn doubts something.
So what's your take then? I just think Caldwell is doing his homework. It will be tough for them to land Mack.

Quote:If Caldwell hasn't already put this concept into play, on at least a hypothetical level, then we've got a lot more concerns than who's going to play Center next season.
La Canfora for GM!

Probably do a better job the Gene Smith.

Quote:So what's your take then? I just think Caldwell is doing his homework. It will be tough for them to land Mack.

I agree. 

I'm satisfied that Caldwell is doing his due diligence on Mack though, and am glad to see he's targeting the right kind of player. 

But I understand this will be a tough fish to reel in, because of the circumstances. I don't expect us to ultimately wind up with Mack, so I won't be disappointed should it not happen. If we do wind up with him, then I'll be stoked. 

Quote:If Caldwell hasn't already put this concept into play, on at least a hypothetical level, then we've got a lot more concerns than who's going to play Center next season.

As I said before, I am sure Caldwell has thought of all of these scenarios....but he has to be careful not to cross the line of ethics to the point where the other 31 GM's lose respect and won't deal with him in the future. 

Do I know what/ where that line is, for these other 31 GM's? No. But I am sure Caldwell either knows or is being given advice. 

Quote:So what's your take then? I just think Caldwell is doing his homework. It will be tough for them to land Mack.
I think the team is getting ready to tender an offer sheet for Mack, and they're looking at a structure that will assure it's not wasted effort.  This front office doesn't toy with bringing in a guy who would fix the issue at C unless they're serious about their pursuit.  It's not that difficult to understand, Bklyn.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I think the team is getting ready to tender an offer sheet for Mack, and they're looking at a structure that will assure it's not wasted effort. This front office doesn't toy with bringing in a guy who would fix the issue at C unless they're serious about their pursuit. It's not that difficult to understand, Bklyn.
So that means you are expecting to land Mack then? I don't see it. I mean I'm happy that Dave is looking at all options. I'm just happy he's trying to go after Elite talent, unlike Gene Smith.

Quote:@JasonLaCanfora: Contract experts suggested offer sheets for Mack the Browns might not match. And I think the Jags could pull it off: http://t.co/e4yrEH5WPD

Pretty good read on this topic.

That's really a pretty good idea.   Basically, the Jags would be on the hook for 10 million this year and that's it.   The 15 million dollar roster bonus in year two would be renegotiated into a long term deal.   I'm pretty confident that if we make progress this year as a team, won-loss wise, and competitiveness-wise, Mack would want to sign a long term deal, because I think that players who play for Bradley want to stay around.  

If we do make such an offer, I hope we are really careful and dot every i and cross every t.   Because every lawyer in Cleveland will be looking at that thing trying to figure out how to get the commissioner to void it.   Actually, I am thinking this may be the reason for the delay in signing him.   We might be calling in every expert we can get to pass judgment on whether this kind of approach is airtight. 

I wouldn't rush this thing if I was Dave Caldwell.   It seems like the more people think about this, the better the ideas get about how to pull this off.  

Quote:So that means you are expecting to land Mack then? I don't see it. I mean I'm happy that Dave is looking at all options. I'm just happy he's trying to go after Elite talent, unlike Gene Smith.
I'm expecting them to put a serious offer on the table that's going to be difficult for Cleveland to match, Brklyn.  Nobody knows what Cleveland will do.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:So that means you are expecting to land Mack then?
that's not what he said at all, there's a good chance the Browns could still match our offer, but I agree that we will at least make an offer that would at least make them think twice about matching

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="FBT" data-cid="169413" data-time="1397061525">

I'm expecting them to put a serious offer on the table that's going to be difficult for Cleveland to match, Brklyn.  Nobody knows what Cleveland will do.

</blockquote>
I was really doubting anything was going to happen, but you and others responses have rejuvenated my optimism. How long do y'all think before we hear something. I'm so impatient.... lol 

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:That's really a pretty good idea.   Basically, the Jags would be on the hook for 10 million this year and that's it.   The 15 million dollar roster bonus in year two would be renegotiated into a long term deal.   I'm pretty confident that if we make progress this year as a team, won-loss wise, and competitiveness-wise, Mack would want to sign a long term deal, because I think that players who play for Bradley want to stay around.  

If we do make such an offer, I hope we are really careful and dot every i and cross every t.   Because every lawyer in Cleveland will be looking at that thing trying to figure out how to get the commissioner to void it.   Actually, I am thinking this may be the reason for the delay in signing him.   We might be calling in every expert we can get to pass judgment on whether this kind of approach is airtight. 

I wouldn't rush this thing if I was Dave Caldwell.   It seems like the more people think about this, the better the ideas get about how to pull this off.  
Then why wouldn't the Browns just match the offer (essentially the same price as the transition tag this year) and then just cut him before the 3rd league day bonus kicked in? That'd basically give them exactly what they are expecting right now if Mack doesn't sign an offer sheet as is. 

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014, 12:55 PM by Deacon.)

Quote:Then why wouldn't the Browns just match the offer (essentially the same price as the transition tag this year) and then just cut him before the 3rd league day bonus kicked in? That'd basically give them exactly what they are expecting right now if Mack doesn't sign an offer sheet as is. 

Because as soon as they cut him, any possibility of getting a Compensatory pick due to him leaving via Free Agency goes away. If Cleveland were to do as you say, then they would actually be in a worse position than they would be by him simply playing under the Transition Tag this season and then leaving. Also, Cleveland wants this guy for the Long Term, they want a long term deal. A two year deal goes against them having him on the roster and all of the "protection" of him leaving via Free Agency provides.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Then why wouldn't the Browns just match the offer (essentially the same price as the transition tag this year) and then just cut him before the 3rd league day bonus kicked in? That'd basically give them exactly what they are expecting right now if Mack doesn't sign an offer sheet as is. 
I think they only want a long term deal; which is why the tagged him the way they did. So hopefully, someone would generate a long term deal that they can match and get. He obviously doesn't want to be there. So I doubt they would do that just for the one year when their plan is to get him to sign an extension or match another long term deal. At least that's what I think from what I've read.

GO JAGS!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Trying to sign Mack is just horrible to think about

If we assume Cleveland wants Mack but Mack wants out of Cleveland he won't sign any long term deal unless he is certain Cleveland won't match it

We therefore need to offer crazy money

To get them to waive their rights will probably cost a third at least and even if we paid that Mack will still want big money

Sadly there is no way for us to really win this standoff

I feel like Cleveland was willing to gamble on paying him $10 million this season in the hopes that he'd sign a long term deal which they could simply match. Matching this deal would yield no compensatory pick and I imagine they'd like to get more than one season of Alex Mack, especially considering the compensatory pick could end up being in the mid rounds. This contact is by no means guaranteed to work, but it could put Cleveland in a position where they have to think long and hard about the cost/benefits of matching.

Quote:@JasonLaCanfora: Contract experts suggested offer sheets for Mack the Browns might not match. And I think the Jags could pull it off: http://t.co/e4yrEH5WPD

Pretty good read on this topic.

Isn't this almost the exact same thing I have been saying for pages now?

Man I am impatient. Let's get this thing rolling... I'm sick of the Mack talk and the draft talk. I just want to see it happen!

Quote:Trying to sign Mack is just horrible to think about

If we assume Cleveland wants Mack but Mack wants out of Cleveland he won't sign any long term deal unless he is certain Cleveland won't match it

We therefore need to offer crazy money

To get them to waive their rights will probably cost a third at least and even if we paid that Mack will still want big money

Sadly there is no way for us to really win this standoff

The standoff is easily winnable.  It's just a matter whether the Jaguars are willing to play hardball or not.  It would be a first of its kind type of situation where the Jaguars would either be a trendsetter or a league wide villain.  At the very best, Cleveland wouldn't be happy with us.

Quote:As I said before, I am sure Caldwell has thought of all of these scenarios....but he has to be careful not to cross the line of ethics to the point where the other 31 GM's lose respect and won't deal with him in the future. 

Do I know what/ where that line is, for these other 31 GM's? No. But I am sure Caldwell either knows or is being given advice. 

Not worried about that at all.

Former GMs used poison pills to get guys, yet it doesn't appear that the other GMs of the league united against that GM.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>