Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:Not worried about that at all.

Former GMs used poison pills to get guys, yet it doesn't appear that the other GMs of the league united against that GM.

That's not necessarily true. The classic 'poison pill' story was when Minnesota signed Steve Hutchinson with the language that Hutchinson's Salary would automatically all be guaranteed if he was not the highest paid Lineman on the roster. This meant that Seattle would have had to guarantee his entire Salary since they had already signed Walter Jones to a richer deal. Hutchinson went to Minnesota. In retaliation, Seattle went and did the same thing with Nate Burleson and this was the major reason why the League and the NFLPA ruled against poison pills.

It should also be noted that neither of those General Managers are still with those teams.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Interesting...  He suggested a 2 year deal example, with $10m salary in 2014, and $1m salary in 2015 along with a $15m guaranteed roster bonus.  The wink-wink plan the following year would be that just before the $15m roster bonus is due in 2015, you put together a 5 year contract extension and turn the large roster bonus into signing bonus and an agreed upon base salary (equating to somewhere around $8m per year cap hit over the next 5 years).

If I was Cleveland, there is no way I can match the deal, as I would be on the hook for $26m over 2 years with a guy that does not want to extend the deal next year to stay in Cleveland.  The Jags would be taking a leap of faith that Mack and his agent will do the 'non-voiced or committed' extension next year.  Wow, it does potentially work.    

The idea La Canfora presented is similar to a proposal one poster made. The difference being a 1 year deal vs 2 years. Very creative (and illegal) but you cant prove it so whatever. 

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014, 02:15 PM by Jinjo.)

Quote:That's not necessarily true. The classic 'poison pill' story was when Minnesota signed Steve Hutchinson with the language that Hutchinson's Salary would automatically all be guaranteed if he was not the highest paid Lineman on the roster. This meant that Seattle would have had to guarantee his entire Salary since they had already signed Walter Jones to a richer deal. Hutchinson went to Minnesota. In retaliation, Seattle went and did the same thing with Nate Burleson and this was the major reason why the League and the NFLPA ruled against poison pills.

It should also be noted that neither of those General Managers are still with those teams.

And this has nothing to do with the situation so... 

Quote:And this has nothing to do with the situation so... 

What can I say? I like to type.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:So that means you are expecting to land Mack then? I don't see it. I mean I'm happy that Dave is looking at all options. I'm just happy he's trying to go after Elite talent, unlike Gene Smith.
Unfortunately most of the E Lite talent brought up in the past for the JAGS to pursue have been either

past their prime veterans with name recognition looking for a final payday and very little left in the tank or flash artists w/o track record.

Just this year alone folks swooned over Vick and Cousins, DJ, Champ and what not. Shiney talent.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

<sub>I certainly don't envy the people behind the curtains trying to make this work. All the loop holes and legal jargon in these contracts has to be a huge headache.</sub>

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Trying to sign Mack is just horrible to think about

If we assume Cleveland wants Mack but Mack wants out of Cleveland he won't sign any long term deal unless he is certain Cleveland won't match it

We therefore need to offer crazy money

To get them to waive their rights will probably cost a third at least and even if we paid that Mack will still want big money

Sadly there is no way for us to really win this standoff

It doesn't require crazy money.  It simply requires a well structured offer that will cause Cleveland to rethink their owner's statement that they'll match any offer. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:<sub>I certainly don't envy the people behind the curtains trying to make this work. All the loop holes and legal jargon in these contracts has to be a huge headache.</sub>
That's what they're paid to do.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

By Friday, Jacksonville will sign Cleveland's transition-tagged C Alex Mack to a 5-year offer sheet the Browns will have five days to match.

from schefter

Quote:The idea La Canfora presented is similar to a proposal one poster made. The difference being a 1 year deal vs 2 years. Very creative (and illegal) but you cant prove it so whatever. 
It's not illegal unless there's an agreement to an extension 2 years from now that's part of the deal.  That's not allowed, so what La Canfora proposed is actually within the rules under the CBA.  That's not to say there isn't a handshake deal on the side saying he'll agree to a long-term extension, but nobody is going to admit to that.

Alex Mack's 5-year deal with Jacksonville will be designed to make it as difficult as possible for the Browns to match, per sources.

schefter

Woo hoo

Quote:Interesting...  He suggested a 2 year deal example, with $10m salary in 2014, and $1m salary in 2015 along with a $15m guaranteed roster bonus.  The wink-wink plan the following year would be that just before the $15m roster bonus is due in 2015, you put together a 5 year contract extension and turn the large roster bonus into signing bonus and an agreed upon base salary (equating to somewhere around $8m per year cap hit over the next 5 years).

If I was Cleveland, there is no way I can match the deal, as I would be on the hook for $26m over 2 years with a guy that does not want to extend the deal next year to stay in Cleveland.  The Jags would be taking a leap of faith that Mack and his agent will do the 'non-voiced or committed' extension next year.  Wow, it does potentially work.    

There's definitely risk involved, but I think the fact that Mack wants out of Cleveland helps quite a bit.  Coming to a team where the guys love to play for the coach helps.  Coming to a team that plays in a state that has no income tax helps.  Coming to a team that has a stable front office helps.  Coming to a team where the owner is willing to invest whatever is necessary to build a winning tradition really helps.  Mack would become a major part of the rebuild, and I have no doubt they'd make sure he knew that beyond any shadow of a doubt.  Stroking his ego won't hurt matters one bit.

@ryanohalloran: Source says "no offer yet" from #Jaguars to Mack, but that doesn't mean something won't happen later this week.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Great news, anyone think we can get this done. May if we get it done, maybe just maybe some in the league would start to see what the Jaguars are building here

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...8240577536

Giggedy Giggedy

Browns nation is in a uproar.  Caldwell is doing a fantastic job. The Jaguars are making noise.

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014, 04:35 PM by Stiggymaynne.)

Haha these guys are not playing around! Seriously I know we are still a little ways off but if we land Mack check out the o line and d line as it stands today compared to where it was before Caldwell

I want to see the terms, but this is huge news for us.