Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

So now Clevland leap frogs us at draft and takes our qb.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So tell us where you want to spend the money. Who is out there right now in free agency?

Let me.. Alex MACK.. Elite Pro Bowl Center.. And I have a great feeling about this :yes:

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:So tell us where you want to spend the money. Who is out there right now in free agency?

we don't have to use up most or all of our cap in THIS offseason. we aren't going to turn things completely around in ONE season either. We can save that cap space for NEXT season? or is that idea unheard of? lol

Quote:Mack will be a pro regardless of whether he plays here or in Cleveland.  

I'm very happy to see us go after a proven elite Center when Center is a huge need.

If we don't end up landing him, it's not because we sat on our hands.

This is how I see it too....

He's either playing here or Cleveland....NOT in Indy and NOT in Tennessee. or Houston. 

I give the Jags front office credit here. 

Quote:I don't think Cleveland will care about Mack saying he "doesn't want to play there". I also don't envision Mack continuing with that rhetoric of not wanting ot play in Cleveland if they match the offer. Like any athlete he'll probably just claim he was taken out of context or something and he's happy to play there. 

Also this situation played out similarly a year ago when the Philadelphia Flyers signed Defenceman Shea Weber to a deal that was constructed in a way that the Flyers thought Nashville would never be able to match.....Weber allegedly was making similar claims like Mack that he didn't want to play in his current city and wanted to sign with his new team....the 5 days passed and in the end Nashville surprisingly matched the offer. When they did, Weber publicly claimed he was "happy" to be staying with Nashville...

So, the moral being....I wouldn't expect any Mack alleged rhetoric about not wanting to play in Cleveland amounting to a whole lot or swaying the Browns to just let him leave. 
I disagree, it happens all the time.  When players want out or want to play for a different organization they usually end up there.   If it is true and Mack isnt happy in Cle.and he lets the organization know, I doubt they match.

Quote:im not big on linemen like that. i know the Center and LT are the positions you want the smart guys at. the best guys. but i've never been big on putting too much money and effort into them. not when we have as many needs as WE do. thats all im saying.
I respect your opinion, but everything starts with the O-Line and D-Line. Everything behind them will break down without their strengths. I am all for this signing. A great center will help our young QB (whoever he is) tremendously. And what has been our biggest problem on offense the last 3+ years? QB time to throw the ball or creating holes for the RB. O-Line!!

GO JAGS!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:So now Clevland leap frogs us at draft and takes our qb.

Quote:we don't have to use up most or all of our cap in THIS offseason. we aren't going to turn things completely around in ONE season either. We can save that cap space for NEXT season? or is that idea unheard of? lol

When you see a lunker at the bottom of the river, do you just wait and watch him pass by hoping to see another one before you throw the bait in? Hell no you don't.. 

Quote:I respect your opinion, but everything starts with the O-Line and D-Line. Everything behind them will break down without their strengths. I am all for this signing. A great center will help our young QB (whoever he is) tremendously. And what has been our biggest problem on offense the last 3+ years? QB time to throw the ball or creating holes for the RB. O-Line!!

GO JAGS!

i agree. lets jus hope IF we comes here...he doesnt go on "vacation" ...we've been doing this "building from the inside, out" thing for the past 5-6 years and im sick of it. thats all. we have NO skills players.

Quote:So now Clevland leap frogs us at draft and takes our qb.

Theres more than one QB option this draft. Cleveland leapfrogging us in the draft is something that doesn't concern me in the least. I don't want the Jags falling in love with any ONE player at the top of this draft. That kinda thing gets you Alualu at 11. Always, always have contingency plans and an open mind for other opportunities. 

Quote:I disagree, it happens all the time.  When players want out or want to play for a different organization they usually end up there.   If it is true and Mack isnt happy in Cle.and he lets the organization know, I doubt they match.

Well, in the thread you just responded to I gave you a recent example, otherwise. 

I really hope Mack becomes a Jaguar. That said, until I hear that Cleveland announces they will NOT match, then I am not going to expect it to happen. 

Quote:i agree. lets jus hope IF we comes here...he doesnt go on "vacation" ...we've been doing this "building from the inside, out" thing for the past 5-6 years and im sick of it. thats all. we have NO skills players.

We can also get skills players...

Quote:i agree. lets jus hope IF we comes here...he doesnt go on "vacation" ...we've been doing this "building from the inside, out" thing for the past 5-6 years and im sick of it. thats all. we have NO skills players.

Dude... Fer serious?? You built your house on swamp land didn't ya, with no foundation at all...

Quote:we don't have to use up most or all of our cap in THIS offseason. we aren't going to turn things completely around in ONE season either. We can save that cap space for NEXT season? or is that idea unheard of? lol

Dude.....signing Mack isn't coming close to using all the cap space this season, next year, or in the future...

Plus the Cap is going up 5-10 MIL each year for at least the next 3 to 5 years. 

Feels good knowing we might land the best center in the NFL. The browns should of just franchised tagged him. Stupid.

If Alex Mack is a Jaguar next season...

Then i think there are a few contract lawyers somewhere i would like to buy a beer for. (cant believe i just said that about lawyers!)

Smile

Go Jags, most exciting off-season in recent memory!

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014, 05:21 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Feels good knowing we might land the best center in the NFL. The browns should of just franchised tagged him. Stupid.

Not only does it feel good getting one of the best players at their position (should it happen) , but IMO, adding a player like this will provide invaluable for a team like ours that is trying to build a strong OL, and will be developing a young QB. He'll instantly become one of the team leaders on offense. 

Still no offer posted to disect if Browns can match or not. So still just speculation.

#Gojags

Quote:Still no offer posted to disect if Browns can match or not. So still just speculation.

Thats because no offer was signed yet. They said likely by Friday....try to keep up. 

So we know noting till following friday. Or do weekends count as days in Nfl during offseason?

#Gojags

keep in mind it's 5 days from when he signs the offer sheet, which might not happen until Friday or possibly even later. Still a ways to wait before the 5 day timer even starts don't start it yet. 

5 yrs and something