Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:By matching, Cleveland will have a hell of a lot of money wrapped up in 2 offensive lineman though. Just short of 20% of the current cap. That's a lot of cash.

If they don't, the Jags are in the same boat, which could end up sucking down the road, but hey, it's not my cash. Smile

The "good" news about this is that we don't have many players we need to re-sign in the next couple seasons, so overpaying a couple linemen shouldn't hurt us in the long term.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Supposedly there is a player exit clause after the 2 years is up; so Mack could leave Cleveland and the deal after 2 if they match. I don't see this offer as being so crazy like it was sounding, but there are some things in there that could cause Cleveland to pause and think. I'm not sure where this is going to go right now.

GO JAGS!

I think the best way to have made it tough for Cleveland to not match would have been to allocate alot of the money in year 2 when Cleveland had their other player contracts coming up. Now, this makes it even easier for Cleveland as they can just release Mack after 2 years if need be to make room. 

Quote:By matching, Cleveland will have a hell of a lot of money wrapped up in 2 offensive lineman though. Just short of 20% of the current cap. That's a lot of cash.

If they don't, the Jags are in the same boat, which could end up sucking down the road, but hey, it's not my cash. Smile

Yeah, but Cleveland knew that all along, or else they wouldn't have transitioned him. 

Nice, so since he wants to be here and we put an exit clause that means if the browns match they will only get him for two years! See what you did there Dave, nice work.

Quote:<div>
I rolled on the floor laughing, With all those missed reads in the pocket Manziel had to improvise. If he had just stuck to the play book (or just be Teddy Bridgewater) A&M would have been in the National Title hunt late

</div>
Trolls gonna troll.  Wallbash

Quote:TMD makes it sound like we offered him Chad Henne money. We are still grossly overpaying for the position even if we get him.

No we wouldn't be. He's one of the best, if not the best at the position in the sport. I guess you missed the contract Jason Kelce just got, along with that other Center....

Quote:No we wouldn't be. He's one of the best, if not the best at the position in the sport. I guess you missed the contract Jason Kelce just got, along with that other Center....
Ryan Kahil.

Macks better than both of em.

I rolled on the floor laughing, With all those missed reads in the pocket Manziel had to improvise. If he had just stuck to the play book (or just be Teddy Bridgewater) A&M would have been in the National Title hunt late

</div>

Quote:Nice, so since he wants to be here and we put an exit clause that means if the browns match they will only get him for two years! See what you did there Dave, nice work.

lol, you don't understand that we pretty much did Cleveland a favor with that. In 2 years is when their contracts will be coming up for some of their players like Haden and Gordon. 

Quote:lol, you don't understand that we pretty much did Cleveland a favor with that. In 2 years is when their contracts will be coming up for some of their players like Haden and Gordon. 
Yeah but the Browns only want him if he gets a LONG TERM contract.

</div>

Quote:I think the best way to have made it tough for Cleveland to not match would have been to allocate alot of the money in year 2 when Cleveland had their other player contracts coming up. Now, this makes it even easier for Cleveland as they can just release Mack after 2 years if need be to make room. 

Yeah, but Cleveland knew that all along, or else they wouldn't have transitioned him. 
I'm pretty sure Caldwell has done more research than you.....

Dan

LeFevour

Who was the guy who said that Darron Thomas is better than Andrew Luck and RG3?

</div>

BTW TMD.

Dan LeFevour

Career CFL statistics

Passing yards

TD-INT

1-2

Passer rating

</div>

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014, 11:43 PM by Jinjo.)

Theres a decent chance the Browns dont match. Having nearly 20% of the cap tied into 2 lineman isnt very smart. They need to pay Gordon, Cameron, and a couple very good defensive players. Hard to do that with 1/4 of your cap being offensive lineman. 

For instance our whole line next year (inlcuding Mack) will cost the same as only Thomas + Mack for the Browns. 

Quote:I'm pretty sure Caldwell has done more research than you.....

Dan

LeFevour

Who was the guy who said that Darron Thomas is better than Andrew Luck and RG3?

I don't know who said that, but know it certainly wasn't me. I guess you didn't do your research well....

Quote:Who was the guy who said that Darron Thomas is better than Andrew Luck and RG3?

I think that was ctjags/teal time radio
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Yeah but the Browns only want him if he gets a LONG TERM contract.

Quote:Theres a decent chance the Browns dont match. Having nearly 20% of the cap tied into 2 lineman isnt very smart. They need to pay Gordon, Cameron, and a couple very good defensive players. Hard to do that with 1/4 of your cap being offensive lineman. 

For instance our whole line next year (inlcuding Mack) will cost the same as only Thomas + Mack for the Browns. 

Wishful thinking IMO....

I'm sure that by transitioning Mack they knew they'd have to match whatever contract another team offered barring something with really creative/ hard to match terms. 

This contract is not that. The Browns will likely match, and quickly, too. Nothing to think about at all. 

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014, 11:50 PM by Jinjo.)

Does anyone see whats the point of the opt out in 2 years? 

I wonder if the 3rd year is guaranteed whether he opts out or not. 

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014, 11:52 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Does anyone see whats the point of the opt out in 2 years?

I wonder if the 3rd year is guaranteed whether he opts out or not.
Josh Gordon may be looking for a raise. That's all I have.

To your second point, that's a good question and it may be what nixes Cleveland from matching if so.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I would be fine with a 2nd round pick, most will disagree, but how many pro bowl players do you find in the second round?

Ironically,  the Jaguars probably have had as many, if not more Pro Bowl caliber seasons from their 2nd Round selections than their 1st Round selections.    Having said that,  there's no question that the chances of landing a Pro Bowl caliber player are greater in the 1st Round.   

When thinking about the situation,  a 2nd Round pick is what came to mind in terms of what the Browns would want for Alex Mack.   Where as the Jaguars probably wouldn't be willing to give up that much because of what some others in this thread mentioned:   the cost of the contract on top of the trade compensation.

Well Mack has one heck of a nutty agent. But welcome to the Jaguars Mack! 

I'm just glad we tried. The chances of us getting him without having to guarantee 30 million + wasn't that great to begin with. Lets just see if Cleveland is going to keep their word to Mack, who from all reports, wants out of Cleveland.

Quote:Well Mack has one heck of a nutty agent. But welcome to the Jaguars Mack! 
Are you unaware of the situation or do you know something we don't? The Browns can still match it he's not a Jaguar yet to my knowledge. 

He is not a Jag yet  - and may not be -  but I have to admit the waiting is pretty exciting.. Thanks Dave for the intrigue....