Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:A beer says Jags sign him. Payable at one of the practice sessions. Anyone?
I won't take the bet because I desire the same outcome as you. I will though, most certainly pound some down with you at a practice regardless of the outcome with Mack. :yes:

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 11:38 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Every situation is unique, but you say you're smart, so you should know this. 

The point is - the notion that Cleveland wouldn't want to or won't pay a lot of money for a player that "doesn't want to be there" is probably false. This is a business, and you don't get better by letting top assets leave easily. 

Quote:There seems to be a whole lot of bad blood that is brewing between Cleveland and Jacksonville.
Good.

They lived vicariously through us when they moved to Baltimore and before they became Cleveland v 2.0. 

Since then, they have been truly obnoxious.

They defended bottlegate.

They denied that their guy dropped the ball on that Hail Mary to beat us.

Now this.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Cleveland fans are almost as bad as Steeler fans. Go figure.......

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:The point is - the notion that Cleveland wouldn't want to or won't pay a lot of money for a player that "doesn't want to be there" is probably false. This is a business, and you don't get better by letting top assets leave easily. 

You really completely missed the point. Not a surprise knowing how "smart" you claim to be.

One thing we know about Cleveland is that they're a poorly run organization that seems to have a knack in making lousy business decisions, but you keep clinging to something that happened in the NHL.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:He cited 15 MIL over 2 years. I cited 30 MIL over 3, with 18 MIL over the first 2, which are the numbers being reported from PFT. 

That is not a tall order for Cleveland to match. If it was they'd never have even transistioned him in the first place. 

The Cap will be going up 5-10 MIL each year over the next 3-5 years, with the current TV deal. Cleveland can easily extend their players and afford Mack too under the PFT numbers. 

Based upon the speculation that's available, either way, the offer would supposedly make Mack the highest paid center in the league.

If that's true, and poison pills are now against the CBA, how could such an offer, in any way, be construed as "weak?"

When Cleveland placed the transition tag on him, it gave them the right to match any offer, irrespective of cost.

Quote:You really completely missed the point. Not a surprise knowing how "smart" you claim to be.

One thing we know about Cleveland is that they're a poorly run organization that seems to have a knack in making lousy business decisions, but you keep clinging to something that happened in the NHL.

Well, smart guy, you are also holding on to mistakes made by previous regimes in Cleveland. We don't know that the new regime will ultimately blow this decision here, just because of past errors from other owners/ GM's, what not. 

Letting Mack walk, per the contract numbers being reported would be foolish by Cleveland. 

Quote:The point is - the notion that Cleveland wouldn't want to or won't pay a lot of money for a player that "doesn't want to be there" is probably false. This is a business, and you don't get better by letting top assets leave easily. 

This I can agree with.  I'm sure there are players who get drafted to places they didn't want to play.  There were also players, including Donovin Darius, who repeatedly got franchised when they wanted to test the open market.

Quote:Based upon the speculation that's available, either way, the offer would supposedly make Mack the highest paid center in the league.

If that's true, and poison pills are now against the CBA, how could such an offer, in any way, be construed as "weak?"

When Cleveland placed the transition tag on him, it gave them the right to match any offer, irrespective of cost.

"Poison pills" have been banned, but as we've read in articles leading up to this point, there were still ways Jacksonville could have written the contract to make it difficult for Cleveland to match. The contract that has been leaked seems very basic and while it pays Mack highest Center money - he was expected to get that anyway. Thats no surprise. Mack isn't being blown out of the water with this  offer. Its higher (I think) but comparable to the contracts Kalil & Kelce signed, of recent. 

Quote:"Poison pills" have been banned, but as we've read in articles leading up to this point, there were still ways Jacksonville could have written the contract to make it difficult for Cleveland to match. The contract that has been leaked seems very basic and while it pays Mack highest Center money - he was expected to get that anyway. Thats no surprise. Mack isn't being blown out of the water with this  offer. Its higher (I think) but comparable to the contracts Kalil & Kelce signed, of recent. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:"Poison pills" have been banned, but as we've read in articles leading up to this point, there were still ways Jacksonville could have written the contract to make it difficult for Cleveland to match. The contract that has been leaked seems very basic and while it pays Mack highest Center money - he was expected to get that anyway. Thats no surprise. Mack isn't being blown out of the water with this  offer. Its higher (I think) but comparable to the contracts Kalil & Kelce signed, of recent. 

But even assuming Cleveland matches it, how would you or anyone not privvy to the Browns cap situation know if it was difficult for them to do so?

They may well want to keep Mack, but hate the terms under which they have to match the offer.

Quote:This I can agree with.  I'm sure there are players who get drafted to places they didn't want to play.  There were also players, including Donovin Darius, who repeatedly got franchised when they wanted to test the open market.
That's always going to be the case where players wind up with teams they don't want to be on.  However, in this situation, I think there's a better than average chance that the economics of this coupled with his wishes to get out of Cleveland will have some bearing here, particularly if the team has previously indicated they would take that into consideration.  The fact that the player is directly involved in crafting this contract in a way to force the Browns to pass on matching it speaks volumes.  We'll see how they handle this soon enough (once there's actually an offer sheet on the table).

Quote:But even assuming Cleveland matches it, how would you or anyone not privvy to the Browns cap situation know if it was difficult for them to do so?

They may well want to keep Mack, but hate the terms under which they have to match the offer.
You're assuming he has a clue here.  If PFT isn't spoon feeding it to him, he can't answer.

Quote:That's always going to be the case where players wind up with teams they don't want to be on.  However, in this situation, I think there's a better than average chance that the economics of this coupled with his wishes to get out of Cleveland will have some bearing here, particularly if the team has previously indicated they would take that into consideration.  The fact that the player is directly involved in crafting this contract in a way to force the Browns to pass on matching it speaks volumes.  We'll see how they handle this soon enough (once there's actually an offer sheet on the table).

Well, I hope what you and others indicate above comes to fruition...that Mack doesn't want to be in Cleveland, the Browns would rather have people who want to be there, decide not to match, and then Mack becomes a Jaguar this year.

I'm just not banking on that to happen quite like that.

Quote:One thing we know about Cleveland is that they're a poorly run organization that seems to have a knack in making lousy business decisions

Cleveland -> Lousy team in the past decade .......New Owner, New GM, New Coach

lol ---> Sound Familiar ????

it's only fitting .....

Quote:Well, I hope what you and others indicate above comes to fruition...that Mack doesn't want to be in Cleveland, the Browns would rather have people who want to be there, decide not to match, and then Mack becomes a Jaguar this year.

I'm just not banking on that to happen quite like that.
I think the numbers in the deal will dictate how Cleveland responds.  Like you, I'm hoping that they'll take what he wants into consideration in their decisions making process.  Do I think they will?  Not sure. Cleveland is a wild card when it comes to their front office.

Quote:Good.

They lived vicariously through us when they moved to Baltimore and before they became Cleveland v 2.0. 

Since then, they have been truly obnoxious.

They defended bottlegate.

They denied that their guy dropped the ball on that Hail Mary to beat us.

Now this.

It's just business Sonny, never personal. 

Over/Under 75 pages before contract is actually released and/or signed.

Quote:Over/Under 75 pages before contract is actually released and/or signed.

I'll take the under lol

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 12:07 PM by Jagwired.)

I'm telling you folks. I believe this play for Mack has a lot more to it than gaining a pro bowl caliber center. The Jags have been very involved with fan surveys and feed back from their ticket holders and former season ticket holders more importantly. One thing they have heard repeatedly is the fact that the jags have come off as unwilling to go after high priced, high quality players. This offer satisfies some of those concerns with the added bonus of possibly getting a core player. Even if we don't get him the try will be viewed as a huge positive.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.