Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:I'm telling you folks. I believe this play for Mack has a lot more to it than gaining a pro bowl caliber center. The Jags have been very involved with fan surveys and feed back from their ticket holders and former season ticket holders more importantly. One thing they have heard repeatedly is the fact that the jags have come off as unwilling to go after high priced high, quality players. This offer satisfies some of those concerns with the added bonus of possibly getting a core player. Even if we don't get him the try will be viewed as a huge positive.

I agree.

This move, whether it works or not, shows the fans that Shad Khan is extremely serious about bringing the best to Jacksonville to build a winner.  The fans will see this and hopefully it creates some excitement regardless of whether they get Mack or not.  Shad Khan isn't a guy who cuts corners.

One thing that was floated earlier in this thread is that the team could sweeten the pot to assure Cleveland doesn't match the offer, offering up a draft pick as incentive.  It wouldn't shock me one bit to discover this is what they wind up doing.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It's just business Sonny, never personal. 

Well played, Sir!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Over/Under 75 pages before contract is actually released and/or signed.
Under, but it'll be close.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Well, smart guy, you are also holding on to mistakes made by previous regimes in Cleveland. We don't know that the new regime will ultimately blow this decision here, just because of past errors from other owners/ GM's, what not. 

Letting Mack walk, per the contract numbers being reported would be foolish by Cleveland. 

So you shouldn't hold mistakes made by previous regimes against them, in Cleveland?  Only Jacksonville?  I mean you hold the mistakes of the previous regime against them because "History goes to show..." and "Until they prove they aren't incompetent, I will assume they are."  

Cleveland even hired their new GM from within.  

I'm not sure what you expected Caldwell to do without breaking any CBA rules, and without crippling the Jaguars as well.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I just thought of something. What if they made the contract so long, so detailed, so many pages, that it took Cleveland over 5 days to read/understand it before matching it? Could delaying the time to understand the contract cause Cleveland not enough time to match or would they match it not fully knowing what's in it? lol

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Got something even better.

Cleveland matches the offer sheet. On draft day, they want Bortles really bad and we are on the clock. Swap spots for Mack... Boom. We get Mack, they get Bortles and then we draft Khalil Mack... 2 Macks in one day!

Quote:I'm telling you folks. I believe this play for Mack has a lot more to it than gaining a pro bowl caliber center. The Jags have been very involved with fan surveys and feed back from their ticket holders and former season ticket holders more importantly. One thing they have heard repeatedly is the fact that the jags have come off as unwilling to go after high priced, high quality players. This offer satisfies some of those concerns with the added bonus of possibly getting a core player. Even if we don't get him the try will be viewed as a huge positive.
Let me offer a different perspective.

The last two Super Bowls have proven that we are more Pass-Centric than ever before.

To have the luxury of going beast mode to put the game away requires that you score early and often

The foundtion of this offense is the center, you can work with adequate guard play around two pretty good tackles.

But you have to have the Keystone, the Center, the intelligent, NASTY, big ugly that anchors it all.

That is what we are going after. Our Red Bryant on the O-Line. The Veteran Anchor.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:Sure but you have to pay my ticket to Jacksonville and back.
Or, if I win, you buy me a ticket to The Isles...then we both go a watch Dallas get their butts whipped

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Well, smart guy, you are also holding on to mistakes made by previous regimes in Cleveland. We don't know that the new regime will ultimately blow this decision here, just because of past errors from other owners/ GM's, what not. 

Letting Mack walk, per the contract numbers being reported would be foolish by Cleveland. 

Unlike you, I'm merely speculating.  I don't claim to know anything beyond what's reported in the media, and I maintain a healthy dose of skepticism where that's concerned because I know that when you're negotiating a contract, you don't run out and tell Mike Florio while you're in the middle of drafting the deal. 

Believing as gospel the multiple contract numbers that have been floated out there by the media based on what they're hearing would be foolish, but not surprising since it's you.

Quote:I won't take the bet because I desire the same outcome as you. I will though, most certainly pound some down with you at a practice regardless of the outcome with Mack. :yes:
Then a'pounding we will do. Maybe Brewster will end up being center...coincidence??/

Blakes Life Matters

I think the odds are still in favor of him being in Cleveland but I don't get the feeling this is a slam dunk that they match the offer.  For Dave and crew to even entertain this type of deal, I don't foresee the offer being something half-hearted.  I would think it would be something Dave seriously feels Cleveland would hesitate to match and if Mack signs it...that leads me to think Mack and his agent surely don't expect Cleveland to match the offer.  

Either way I applaud Dave for taking the chance.  Mack is a very good player and would offer us the best center play we have seen in many years.  It would be nice to have him with a younger guy likely at QB sooner than later.  A veteran presence (and one that plays at his level) would be a good add with a rookie QB.

Breaking news from the Browns beat writer:

Quote:Mack also plays in front of a home crowd that averaged 71,242 per game last year despite the constant losing. The Jaguars, on the other hand, averaged 59,940 and could be playing in London by 2017.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ed_to.html

I wonder if Mary Kay Cabot has led Lacanfora know that the moving day has been pushed up by 4 years.

;

;

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 01:03 PM by jvillejagsn1.)

Quote:Breaking news from the Browns beat writer:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ed_to.html

I wonder if Mary Kay Cabot has led Lacanfora know that the moving day has been pushed up by 4 years.
Key points in this article:

"I firmly believe that Mack is looking for fair market value and that he's found a way to get it -- from either the Jaguars or the Browns.

I believe that Mack will be thrilled -- even overjoyed -- to remain with the Browns if he gets the money he wants, despite national reports to the contrary."

Very opinionated. Not very factual. This is Cleveland hoping for the best, the same as we are.

GO JAGS!

Finished reading towards the bottom and there are some good points and if those quotes were from Mack, well darn... lol

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 01:09 PM by Ringo.)

Quote:Key points in this article:

"I firmly believe that Mack is looking for fair market value and that he's found a way to get it -- from either the Jaguars or the Browns.

I believe that Mack will be thrilled -- even overjoyed -- to remain with the Browns if he gets the money he wants, despite national reports to the contrary."

Very opinionated. Not very factual. This is Cleveland hoping for the best, the same as we are.

GO JAGS!

Finished reading towards the bottom and there are some good points and if those quotes were from Mack, well darn... lol
This guy writes this?? New Browns hater now for me..

Mack also plays in front of a home crowd that averaged 71,242 per game last year despite the constant losing. The Jaguars, on the other hand, averaged 59,940 and could be playing in London by 2017.

Wait! Someone named Mary Kay wrote this? Never mind.

Blakes Life Matters

Quote: 

The Jaguars, who also went 4-12, had none.

Someone didn't get the memo that Poz went to the Pro-Bowl.  

Quote: 

The immediate future looks bright enough that Hoyer said Tuesday night, "We're here to win now. We're not in rebuilding mode.''

They will be back to it soon enough. 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:So you shouldn't hold mistakes made by previous regimes against them, in Cleveland?  Only Jacksonville?  I mean you hold the mistakes of the previous regime against them because "History goes to show..." and "Until they prove they aren't incompetent, I will assume they are."  

Cleveland even hired their new GM from within.  

I'm not sure what you expected Caldwell to do without breaking any CBA rules, and without crippling the Jaguars as well.  

I found that very curious as well, but par for the course.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Reading Haslam's quote, he never really said they'd match any offer in the interview at the "Draft Day" premiere. 

I still think it's a 50/50 prospect at this point, but there's probably a number the Browns have already indicated they would consider across the line.  The article above is chalked with about as much fact as the PFT report they reference, and every TMD post in this thread.

Quote:I found that very curious as well, but par for the course.
Well, he is smart.  That allows him to have different standards depending on who or what he's talking about. 

I wonder if the movie Draft Day is gonna be somewhat historically accurate.. GM goes crazy and makes all kinds of horrible moves and at the end, the owner moves the team to another city.. Wonder if Browns fans are gonna bring their own bottles to the movie premier..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I'm telling you folks. I believe this play for Mack has a lot more to it than gaining a pro bowl caliber center. The Jags have been very involved with fan surveys and feed back from their ticket holders and former season ticket holders more importantly. One thing they have heard repeatedly is the fact that the jags have come off as unwilling to go after high priced, high quality players. This offer satisfies some of those concerns with the added bonus of possibly getting a core player. Even if we don't get him the try will be viewed as a huge positive.

100% agree. I listen to around a half dozen different NFL podcasts and the opinions on the Jags have absolutely done a 180 in the last 9 months. Just this morning, the NFL_ATL podcast declared the Jags the most improved team in the AFC South, and all agreed that the team seems to have one of the most focused front office in the league at the moment. They went on to say that if there was a Super Bowl for media approval, that the Jaguars would be in it.

Not that any of that has any real meaning -- but it is certainly different from the usual media perception of the Jaguars from the last few years.