Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:PFF had him as the 3rd best center in the league last season.  Where Meester was near the bottom.  Meester was a great story for this franchise with how he played for every coach in our teams history and got drafted and finished his career here.  But he didn't do much to help on the field the last two years.  His playing the last two years is because there weren't any other options and Rackley turns out is horrible.  If we get Mack, we end up with a guy who hasn't missed a single game in his entire career and has played as one of the best at his position for the last couple of seasons.  And he's a perfect fit for the ZBS that Jedd wants to run.
If thats true than why didnt dave offer 11million for the first year & 10 for 2nd i mean the browns are already up to 10m this year seemed kind of low as an offer by the Jags with the void in there?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:If I kept saying I was going to do something then changed my mind I'd say something similar. Not that I make a habit of going back on my word, but you know what I mean. It's like they said this to save face if they decide not to after repeatedly saying they'll match anything. I wonder how much Mack not wanting to be there factors into the equation.

Quote:It has to be a big factor, because they told him if he didn't want to be there, they wouldn't stand in his way.   Now, if they match the offer, they have publicly lied to one of their best players.   So Mack goes back into that Cleveland locker room and there is talk among the players about how the front office lied.   At that point, the only guy who can save them from a poisonous situation in their locker room is Alex Mack.   If he doesn't want to let them off the hook for lying to him, it can somewhat poison the locker room.  

Credibility is important, and that's why owners should not talk to the media about things like this.   The owner inevitably contradicts the GM. 

Bingo. The internal politics of the Cleveland Organization are most likely a huge concern for them right now. While the money may be there for them to re-sign Jordan, Haden, Gordon, et al, the goodwill may not be if the players decide that the Front Office will not deal fairly with them. Contentious negotiations can be handled but they do take time, time that may be better off used elsewhere.

I do not know if Cleveland will match or not, but it seems like they have a rather narrow corner that they have gotten themselves into and they are going to need to find a way out.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I'm far from a TMD fan, but this forum would be a lot better if we didn't have moderators throwing out insults at members. For whatever that's worth. 
Don't expect this to be addressed... Others would be warned/banned out of here for less.

Quote:I slept on in last night and i still hate Cleveland.
This x2

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

I personally enjoy reading TMD's posts, but I havent read all of them so maybe he's done something wrong maybe not. 

Free speech, and the word TROLL gets thrown around way too much.

I don''t think he's a troll if he's been on here for years in support of the Jaguars franchise.

Come on guys, cant we all get along?

Just the thought of the Browns depresses me. I bet Alex is praying hard they don't match.

Quote:Don't expect this to be addressed... Others would be warned/banned out of here for less.

This x2

Show me one thing I said that someone would be banned for...

If you think I've broken a rule, report it.

In the meantime, consider both of your pity parties addressed.

Quote:It has to be a big factor, because they told him if he didn't want to be there, they wouldn't stand in his way.   Now, if they match the offer, they have publicly lied to one of their best players.   So Mack goes back into that Cleveland locker room and there is talk among the players about how the front office lied.   At that point, the only guy who can save them from a poisonous situation in their locker room is Alex Mack.   If he doesn't want to let them off the hook for lying to him, it can somewhat poison the locker room.  

Credibility is important, and that's why owners should not talk to the media about things like this.   The owner inevitably contradicts the GM. 
I think the 'Mack is desperate to get out of Cleveland' rumors were a little (or a lot) overblown. I've read plenty in the last day that makes it sound like he would still be quite happy and amicable if the Browns match.

Quote:I think the 'Mack is desperate to get out of Cleveland' rumors were a little (or a lot) overblown. I've read plenty in the last day that makes it sound like he would still be quite happy and amicable if the Browns match.

I remember alot of Browns players were upset that Chudzinski was fired after just one year. With the constant losing, the owner's legal troubles, the team practically having a different GM and coach every year, I am sure most players are not happy. But there is one thing that can make them happy. $

Quote:Its funny because everybody HATES TMD.

I don't hate TMD

Quote:I remember alot of Browns players were upset that Chudzinski was fired after just one year. With the constant losing, the owner's legal troubles, the team practically having a different GM and coach every year, I am sure most players are not happy. But there is one thing that can make them happy. $
Yes, emphasis on the $

I think I am wavering on my initial enthusiasm for this deal. I would love to have Mack here obviously, but damn that's a lot of scratch for a center isn't it?

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:At the time, what was being reported was a weaker offer. The Jags went back to the drawing board today and fixed a few things after word got out that the original was too easy for the Browns to match.

Lol wow.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 09:37 AM by iapetus.)

Quote:Free speech, and the word TROLL gets thrown around way too much.

Free speech isn't being infringed and doesn't apply here anyway. And as often as the word 'troll' is thrown around, there are good reasons it sticks here. It's a textbook case.

Quote:I think I am wavering on my initial enthusiasm for this deal. I would love to have Mack here obviously, but damn that's a lot of scratch for a center isn't it?

That's the catch on this. Mack is one heck of a Center, but he's still a Center. How much is too much for a position like that?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:That's the catch on this. Mack is one heck of a Center, but he's still a Center. How much is too much for a position like that?
Apparently, it seems that the Jags and Browns are writing a new book on this matter.

Since the new CBA, we have to re-think how much any position is worth. The whole point of the rookie wage scale (from the PA point of view) was to redistribute that money to veterans. A center of Macks quality hasn't hit the, I guess you could say semi-open market, since then. Plus because of the transition tag his value is inflated some obviously. So I don't think it a a ridiculous deal. It seems about right to me for what they're trying to do.

Quote:That's the catch on this. Mack is one heck of a Center, but he's still a Center. How much is too much for a position like that?
I think the market will determine that here.  The Jaguars front office is setting the price point.  But, the thing here is they know they're overspending, but they're hoping to land one of the better players in the league at that position.  A few years from now, someone else will have set a new standard, and what he's making will wind up being back to average.  The team has the money, and they have to spend it.  The offensive line is a critical component that requires attention, so it's not a bad place to invest, especially if you intend to put a new QB behind that line. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Show me one thing I said that someone would be banned for...

ive gotten in plenty of arguments about mods throwing around insults at other forum members usually with pirkster or fbt and i have never been warned. and whoever says TMD has been here years supporting the jaguars needs to learn the antonym for support. so i can at least give that 2 cents. 

also, does anyone know if that contract sheet is definitely going to get signed by mack today?

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Show me one thing I said that someone would be banned for...

Did anyone name you specifically? Do you have a guilty conscience or something?

I have reported it in the past and guess what, never was addressed and the behavior continues.

If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, don't get your panties all in a bunch about it.

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Quote:Since the new CBA, we have to re-think how much any position is worth. The whole point of the rookie wage scale (from the PA point of view) was to redistribute that money to veterans. A center of Macks quality hasn't hit the, I guess you could say semi-open market, since then. Plus because of the transition tag his value is inflated some obviously. So I don't think it a a ridiculous deal. It seems about right to me for what they're trying to do.
Excellent point.