Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:The thing I don't understand is that there are a lot of people that seem confident the Browns are going to match.  If that was the case, why would they waste untold amounts of days on working this out if there wasn't much chance of it succeeding?

With a contract that runs deep in green like this one would do, you take your time and examine every little detail. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 

<div>Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter  3m
Alex Mack can void final three years of deal with promise he cannot be tagged again. Deal also includes a no-trade provision.

Ok, so two opt outs, a no tag clause, a no trade clause, biggest contract in C history, and double the guaranteed money in C history. If the Jags don't get him it certainly won't be from a lack of trying. It just means the Browns have the means the rights to match if they want and there's nothing more that could have been done.

</div>

I think we need to back this up with PFT.  This does not seem to jive with what we were "being told" was accurate.  PFT hardly ever gets any of their rumors wrong so lets just wait one second here.  Anyone got a PFT link, TMD maybe?

Can we at least put the whole the-Jags-are-tanking-to-make-a-move-to-Antaractica-look-better narrative to bed now?

On Wisconsin.

70 pages, pretty close for the over/under of 75 pages.

Quote:Can we at least put the whole the-Jags-are-tanking-to-make-a-move-to-Antaractica-look-better narrative to bed now?

That was only a contingency plan.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Can we at least put the whole the-Jags-are-tanking-to-make-a-move-to-Antaractica-look-better narrative to bed now?

Uh, Mack's great uncle's babysitter's cat's veterinarian is from Antarctica. That's the whole reason they signed him! So he can show the rest of the team around once they move!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:With a contract that runs deep in green like this one would do, you take your time and examine every little detail. 
Of course, but my question was is why even submit the contract if it's unlikely to work?  Either Browns fans/front office is bluffing or Caldwell is just throwing darts, which I don't understand why he would.  There's something I'm missing here...

Offer signed by Mack according to NFL.com push notification I just received- fwiw

Apologies if reported

Quote:Offer signed by Mack according to NFL.com push notification I just received- fwiw

Apologies if reported
It's official!  The Browns have until 4PM on Wednesday to match.

<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Quote:Of course, but my question was is why even submit the contract if it's unlikely to work?  Either Browns fans/front office is bluffing or Caldwell is just throwing darts, which I don't understand why he would.  There's something I'm missing here...

You must have been reading too much of TMD's posts.

The contract that he signed or is signing is something that has a good chance of working.  Lots for the browns to think about.

Quote: 

<div>Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter  3m
Alex Mack can void final three years of deal with promise he cannot be tagged again. Deal also includes a no-trade provision.

Ok, so two opt outs, a no tag clause, a no trade clause, biggest contract in C history, and double the guaranteed money in C history. If the Jags don't get him it certainly won't be from a lack of trying. It just means the Browns have the means the rights to match if they want and there's nothing more that could have been done.

</div>

I'm pretty sure there's only one and it's after the 2015 season.

So..... five days to wait.....unless the browns actually hurry up and say something...this is going to be a long five days -_-

If the Jags don't get Mack, they have certainly painted themselves favorably to the rest of the players in the league by writing in numerous escapes for Mack in the contract.

They hooked the man up. This is a very player friendly contract, don't think for a minute that is lost on others players, and perhaps more importantly, agents.

Well done, Front Office. Definitely a win/win for the Jags.

Quote:Of course, but my question was is why even submit the contract if it's unlikely to work?  Either Browns fans/front office is bluffing or Caldwell is just throwing darts, which I don't understand why he would.  There's something I'm missing here...

Unlikely to work?

Tweet from yesterday:

Quote:Once it is signed, Browns figure to match Jacksonville's five-year offer sheet to C Alex Mack "in no time at all", per source.

So they should match it very soon then...

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 01:14 PM by Tuxedo.)

Quote:If the Jags don't get Mack, they have certainly painted themselves favorably to the rest of the players in the league by writing in numerous escapes for Mack in the contract.

They hooked the man up. This is a very player friendly contract, don't think for a minute that is lost on others players, and perhaps more importantly, agents.

Well done, Front Office. Definitely a win/win for the Jags.

Yep, it will only add to it. Here's a story from last year where the National Football Post conducted a survey with various agents about the best teams to negotiate with. We ranked in the top five most trusted front offices.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-...teams.html

Now can Cleveland come out tomorrow, say "no we won't match" and then just sign him? Or do we still have to wait till Wed?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:It's not that I don't want Mack on the roster nor that I don't want to pay $10 Million for his services, but rather me having a "holy [bad word removed]! We just paid a Center $10 million!!!" moment.

Another way to look at it, is that we just signed the best lineman since Boselli.

On a sided note... boy, I love wikipedia:

<p style="margin-left:40px;"><b>Javon Alexander Mack</b><sup>[1]</sup> (born November 19, 1985) is an American football <a class="" href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_%28American_football%29' title="Center (American football)">center</a> in the National Football League (NFL) for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

They might want to wait for the "we'll match immediately" moment the Browns promised, if it comes.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Now can Cleveland come out tomorrow, say "no we won't match" and then just sign him? Or do we still have to wait till Wed?

Yes, they can make their decision whenever, it just has to be within the five day period.

Quote:I think we need to back this up with PFT.  This does not seem to jive with what we were "being told" was accurate.  PFT hardly ever gets any of their rumors wrong so lets just wait one second here.  Anyone got a PFT link, TMD maybe?

He's scouring their site right now, no doubt. 

Quote:Now can Cleveland come out tomorrow, say "no we won't match" and then just sign him? Or do we still have to wait till Wed?

If Cleveland sits on their hands and does nothing, he's ours.  They could come out today and announce they're matching and this entire process would come to an end.  The same is true if they come out before Wednesday and announce they aren't going to match.

The no trade clause ends any speculation that the Browns would match the deal, then offer him up in trade for something like a swap of the first round picks.

Finally, if Cleveland is considering moving up a spot to get a specific player in the draft, it would serve them well to avoid creating a contentious relationship with the Jags.  If they pass on matching this deal, they might get some good will from the Jaguars in the draft should they decide they need to grab someone specific the Jags might be considering. 

Destined to be an interesting few days for sure.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]