Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:You must have been reading too much of TMD's posts.

The contract that he signed or is signing is something that has a good chance of working.  Lots for the browns to think about.
The Browns front office has made it sound like they will match immediately and that's what the media is saying as well as Browns fans.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Why do the Browns get an extra 4 hours? The deadline should be approx 12 noon (on Wednesday) , which is the time reported he signed it today. 

Quote:The Browns front office has made it sound like they will match immediately and that's what the media is saying as well as Browns fans.

Well, In the terms of contract negotiations, I'd say "immediately" is within a day or so.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:The Browns front office has made it sound like they will match immediately and that's what the media is saying as well as Browns fans.

Yep, but they make it out to be that I'm the only one saying it. 

Quote:Why do the Browns get an extra 4 hours? The deadline should be approx 12 noon (on Wednesday) , which is the time reported he signed it today. 

Too much fiber intake..

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 01:29 PM by BritishJag.)

Surely they have nothing to negotiate because the Jags have already done that.

The Browns owner said it's a no brainer that they'll keep him so why not call it in right away instead of wasting time?

Quote:Surely they have nothing to negotiate because the Jags have already done that.

Negotiate was a word I shouldn't have used.. Acceptance to match.. Works better.. 

I mean, wouldn't you match it if you were Haslam? They're in a worse boat than we were in last year. They've got a more antsy fan base that has been through the ringer, with the whole Factory of Sadness name and all. They need to build a winner, and you don't do that letting a Pro Bowl centerpiece of your offense skip town without a hint of compensation. They'll probably match, which will suck for us. But, we've lost nothing in the deal... We just go back to looking for the right guy. 

For the record, I hope they don't match, though.

If they match it, they match it. We move on.  We'll see how immediate that response is now that they have an entire picture regarding the offer sheet.

Quote:Why do the Browns get an extra 4 hours? The deadline should be approx 12 noon (on Wednesday) , which is the time reported he signed it today. 

It's not based on the exact second he signed the offer sheet.  The league business day ends at 4:00 eastern. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I'm willing to bet that Ray Farmer and Gene Smith are kinfolk.. 

Anyone know if it's likely that they'll announce that they're not going to match or would they just let the time expire?

I think 4pm is the end of the "league day".

Ok, I guess by "immediately" they meant not immediately.

Quote: 

It's not based on the exact second he signed the offer sheet.  The league business day ends at 4:00 eastern. 

Well, it should be 5 days exactly from the moment he signs it. 

Proof is in the pudding.  We'll see.

If it's truly "immediate" then we'll know by the end of the day.  If not, then there's more there for them to think about then they expected.

Which is what's being reported currently (as opposed to some of the "immediately" quotes from the Browns office that were taken days ago.)

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Rapoport reported late Thursday that the Browns had not made a decision on whether they'll match the Jaguars' offer. Sources in Cleveland indicate the team is "really mulling it over" and the specifics of the offer have made the decision tougher than originally imagined.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...th-jaguars

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Anyone know if it's likely that they'll announce that they're not going to match or would they just let the time expire?

No way of knowing how they'll respond if the decision is to pass on matching the deal.  I would imagine they'll notify all parties involved and we'd get an official announcement from the teams later that day once everything has been submitted to the league.  The media will certainly be early in making the announcements as it will no doubt be leaked out if Cleveland doesn't match the deal.  But, the official announcement from either team will probably wait until after the 4:00 deadline.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Well, it should be 5 days exactly from the moment he signs it. 

Let the commish know.

280 Park Ave. 15th Floor, New York, NY 10017.

Quote:Surely they have nothing to negotiate because the Jags have already done that.

The Browns owner said it's a no brainer that they'll keep him so why not call it in right away instead of wasting time?

They still have to give their lawyers time to look over the offer sheet. So far all that's been made available to them is what's been reported in the media. Now that Mack has signed the offer, the Browns will get a copy and pore through it.

Quote:Hate is a strong word, there's only a couple of things I actually hate (the dookie browns being one of them).. I actually like TMD, he gives effort in his posts. Sometimes those posts are way, way, WAY off, but he still gives effort.. He's like that one family member that you keep chained up in the basement and feed fish heads to.. Not a bad guy, just being himself, which I respect.
Such high praise! LOL

Quote:Well, it should be 5 days exactly from the moment he signs it. 

No, it shouldn't be.  The transaction has to be submitted to the league.  The league gives them until the end of the day (4:00).  While the sheet is probably signed, the league will process it when they process it, so they have until 4:00 on Wednesday at the end of the league business day.