Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:Ok, I guess by "immediately" they meant not immediately.

Browns are backpedaling not unlike the typical TMD misstep.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Proof is in the pudding. We'll see.

If it's truly "immediate" then we'll know by the end of the day. If not, then there's more there for them to think about then they expected.

Which is what's being reported currently (as opposed to some of the "immediately" quotes from the Browns office that were taken days ago.)

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">Rapoport reported late Thursday that the <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE'>Browns</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/454411732866187264'>had not made a decision</a> on whether they'll match the <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/jacksonvillejaguars/profile?team=JAC'>Jaguars</a>' offer. Sources in Cleveland indicate the team is "really mulling it over" and the specifics of the offer have made the decision tougher than originally imagined. <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340444/article/alex-mack-signs-5year-42m-offer-sheet-with-jaguars'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340444/article/alex-mack-signs-5year-42m-offer-sheet-with-jaguars</a>

Thanks for posting. This was the most updated Browns report. The match immediately was before this report.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 01:39 PM by WingerDinger.)

Quote:Well, it should be 5 days exactly from the moment he signs it. 

Well, what if Mack singed the contract and then the earth slipped into one of Morgan Freeman's Wormholes and time slowed down by half.. Would the brownies get 10 days?

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:No, it shouldn't be. The transaction has to be submitted to the league. The league gives them until the end of the day (4:00). While the sheet is probably signed, the league will process it when they process it, so they have until 4:00 on Wednesday at the end of the league business day.
As if 4 hours will matter.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Browns are backpedaling not unlike the typical TMD misstep.

We'll see...

Quote:As if 4 hours will matter.

It doesn't matter all that much, I agree....but still, en extra 4 hours is an extra 4 hours...

Quote:Browns are backpedaling not unlike the typical TMD misstep.
This is why you don't accept a report about the details of a contract until it's actually written and signed off on.  TMD tries to spin it like they changed the contract after the details were leaked, but that's crap.  Anyone who has ever worked with lawyers on drafting a deal knows how long it takes and how detailed it has to be.  They're not going to scrap it mid-stream because the media is supposedly getting details (which turned out to be incorrect). 

I went back and read Haslam's comments that the media is using as their "immediately" or "will match any offer" reports.  He never really said that in the interview they quote. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:As if 4 hours will matter.

I would imagine we'll probably know one way or the other by Monday.

IMO, the longer it drags on, the less likely it probably is that the Browns will match.  I also think if they're on the fence, they'll probably talk to Mack to determine where his head is at if they opt to match vs. letting him head to Jacksonville.  If the initial reports that he simply wants out of Cleveland are remotely accurate, and the front office in Cleveland is stand-up, my bet is they'd cede to his wishes. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:We'll see...

It doesn't matter all that much, I agree....but still, en extra 4 hours is an extra 4 hours...

The 4 hours are irrelevant.  We'll know well in advance if the Browns are matching it or not.  It just won't be official until everything is submitted to the league.  Any official statement from the Jaguars, based on the way they have done these things previously, will happen after everything is buttoned down and done. 

Quote:The Browns front office has made it sound like they will match immediately and that's what the media is saying as well as Browns fans.

They said that without knowing what we were putting in the contract.  Sounds like the Jags put a few things in there that are giving browns brass pause.  And this is why you wait for all the information to come out.  I know a particular poster complains about the youth and this generation, yet he acts just like them in this must react now world.  Can't wait and see what is factual.  Must spout rumor as truth.  

Quote:Yep, but they make it out to be that I'm the only one saying it. 

You ever hear the old adage actions speak louder then words?  How can they guarantee to match something when they don't know what it is?  Most understand that.

Quote:They said that without knowing what we were putting in the contract.  Sounds like the Jags put a few things in there that are giving browns brass pause.  And this is why you wait for all the information to come out.  I know a particular poster complains about the youth and this generation, yet he acts just like them in this must react now world.  Can't wait and see what is factual.  Must spout rumor as truth.  
Yeah, the Brown's tuned definitely changed.  They're not racing to find a camera to announce they're matching anything at this point.  If they're mulling it over, the structure of the deal the Jaguars put together is having the desired impact. 

Quote:You ever hear the old adage actions speak louder then words?  How can they guarantee to match something when they don't know what it is?  Most understand that.

Bingo.  Most do.  Others cling to any rumor they can find as long as the content allows them to spin it in a way where they can trash the Jaguars, because that's what objective "fans" do.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM by Ringo.)

Quote:The 4 hours are irrelevant.  We'll know well in advance if the Browns are matching it or not.  It just won't be official until everything is submitted to the league.  Any official statement from the Jaguars, based on the way they have done these things previously, will happen after everything is buttoned down and done. 
The Browns knew of this for a while now. So Im sure they've prepared somewhat. Now its perusing the terms and I'm sure they wont be sitting there going, oh no...we only have 4 hours left.

Then again, four hours is four hours. A full work day for some.

They didnt match the offer immediately as some sources had mentioned.

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:The Browns knew of this for a while now. So Im sure they've prepared somewhat. Now its perusing the terms and I'm sure they wont be sitting there going, oh no...we only have 4 hours left.

Then again, four hours is four hours. A full work day for some.

Honestly, they really don't need more then 2 days IMO.  You either are going to accept it or you're not.  The contract is there for them to see.  If in 2 days they don't accept then I would be surprised to see them accept on day 4.  But who knows, we shall see.

I could see the Browns making a last minute deal just to annoy.

Quote:The Browns knew of this for a while now. So Im sure they've prepared somewhat. Now its perusing the terms and I'm sure they wont be sitting there going, oh no...we only have 4 hours left.

Then again, for hours is four hours. A full work day for some.

I don't think the Browns knew anything about the specifics of the contract until very late in the process, and I would imagine they only got those details after the Jags, Mack, and his agent finished drafting the deal.    I would imagine Mack's agent probably communicated the terms of the deal to the Browns front office once they had everything drafted and ready to go.  So, they've probably known the specifics since last night some time, which explains why they're now saying the are "mulling things over" regarding the deal.

Quote:Yeah, the Brown's tuned definitely changed.  They're not racing to find a camera to announce they're matching anything at this point.  If they're mulling it over, the structure of the deal the Jaguars put together is having the desired impact. 

The Brown's tune has changed? Thats a bit premature to say....Its been what a half hour since the deal was signed....

If the Browns match the deal today, that pretty much proves that their tune never changed, despite the rhetoric in your post suggesting it has. 

Quote:The Brown's tune has changed? Thats a bit premature to say....Its been what a half hour since the deal was signed....

If the Browns match the deal today, that pretty much proves that their tune never changed, despite the rhetoric in your post suggesting it has.

We'll see...

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 01:53 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

They didnt match the offer immediately as some sources had mentioned.

lol, by saying immediately it pretty much meant within the same day - not necessarily sitting there waiting for the fax so they could match it that second...... LOL wow....

Quote:Bingo.  Most do.  Others cling to any rumor they can find as long as the content allows them to spin it in a way where they can trash the Jaguars, because that's what objective "fans" do.
Those type need strong shoulders and flexibility. One for throwing so much at the wall till one sticks, and the other for patting themselves on the back when one sticks. Amazing creatures.

Blakes Life Matters